Help me dress dp please

(23 Posts)

He hates spending money on clothes and isn't at all interested in fashion or style or even looking less than shabby tbf, but is in desperate need of a few things:
Casual shoes/trainers that are not Converse
A lightweight spring jacket
Some t-shirts that are not too short for him
A new backpack

He's tall and skinny and suits blue and green. Late 40s.

Any ideas in which direction I should point him, please?

MrsLettuce Sun 03-Apr-16 19:20:30

Gstar basic tshirts are a good length on DP, he's 182cm and skinny. Zara, maybe for a jacket. Cos also worth a look of course. No idea on shoes or bag without more clues I'm afraid.

Thanks. never heard of Gstar.

Cos is far too funky for him but Zara might be worth a look.

Shoes - just basic leather trainer type things, I guess.

MrsLettuce Sun 03-Apr-16 19:55:05

Cos Men really isn't very funky, not compared to the womens stuff. Massimo Duti? Is a bit meh but sometimes nice bits.

Just looked at the gstar site, their v neck mens t's look very low confused Only familiar with the normal, round necked ones.

smile

He lives in M&S jeans and navy blue v neck jumpers. Even Zara is likely to be too funky for him tbh!

CheckpointCharlie2 Sun 03-Apr-16 19:59:33

Maybe Boden? Fairly safe!? Or H and M? I get DH his jeans from TopShop and he is a beardy scientist, it's funky but not hideously so.
Have you still got your icy picture up !? wink

My icy picture takes pride of place above the sofa. I can't tell you how happy it makes me! grin

I'll have a look in Topman. He deffo wouldn't wear Boden.

CheckpointCharlie2 Sun 03-Apr-16 20:07:58

Ahhh, I have one in my new kitchen too! I will pm it to you!!!!!

Also what about Gap!!!? And I sometimes get DH stuff from the White Stuff but not often as it is €€€€.

Yes please to the DM.

Ooh - hadn't thought about Gap. Their men's stuff always used to be better than the women's iirc.

I like this but haven't got a clue if it's acceptable or not.

Or this

peggyundercrackers Sun 03-Apr-16 20:19:37

Are you trying to change his look or is he?

mayhew Sun 03-Apr-16 20:19:46

Gap men. Also uniclo. Oh very pleased with shirts and light jacket from Ben Sherman last year.edNew Balance men's trainers can be very nice (leather ones) and wear well. We go to the Factory shop. He's 55 tall and slim.

Cocolepew Sun 03-Apr-16 20:22:21

I got DH a navy Harrington for a lightweight jacket.

Peggy - neither of us is trying to change his look. His shoes are falling to pieces, his t-shirts are tatty and he doesn't possess a jacket other than his winter coat. Do you have any ideas to offer?

He has a couple of nice Ben Sherman shirts - will have a look at them for jackets.

I think a Harrington might be the way forward. Next have a cotton one which looks pretty inoffensive.

peggyundercrackers Sun 03-Apr-16 21:20:09

have you tried somewhere like debenhams, they seem to have bits and pieces to suit everyone from casual to a more formal dressed down look with some designer names thrown in. Shoes - have a look at something like pelotas on www.camper.com they aren't cheap though but my DP likes them and has had a few pairs in different colours.

peggyundercrackers Sun 03-Apr-16 21:21:43

Debenhams have a sale on just now and a lot of stuff is very reasonable. Www.debenhams.com

Cheers.

Will look at Debenhams. There's no way he'd pay Camper prices - he thinks even M&S is expensive. I'm sure he thinks that things should still cost 1984 prices! grin

peggyundercrackers Sun 03-Apr-16 21:29:08

Camper are expensive for shoes I agree. DP hates converse shoes, it's what all the 17yr olds wear up here so he wouldn't be seen dead in them, he says they remind him of his old school gym shoes smile

Yep- my dp hates Converse too. hence the 'No Converse' in my OP. I bloody love mine though!

HeadFullofSteam Sun 03-Apr-16 23:08:04

My DH is also a beardy scientist. He tends to wear skinny chinos, slim fit checked or plain shirts and cardigans or close fit v necks and brogues. He gets a few things in Next (men's stuff much better than women's) Gap and Ben Sherman.

CheckpointCharlie2 Mon 04-Apr-16 08:43:33

Those jackets are both really nice. Last place I have got DH stuff from is Joe Browns but he is v tall so sometimes the arms on things are a bit short.

And just thought of shoes, DH got some Sketchers shoes a while ago, semi trainery and exceptionally comfy as they have some kind of gel inner soles. Not v smart though.

YokoUhOh Mon 04-Apr-16 08:51:47

Seconding Coco with the navy Harrington - DH wears one in spring.

Gap jeans, desert boots/Pumas.

Thanks, all.

Been to town today and got a black cotton harrington-esque jacket from (whispers) BHS of all places! grin It is completely inoffensive and looks quite nice.

Will now work on getting him to look at shoes! I really like the look of desert boots, but dp doesn't.

Cocolepew Mon 04-Apr-16 17:45:30

DH likes desert boots so hes not too bad in the foot dept. Matalan do lovely navy ones

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now