Talk

Advanced search

Help me dress for my suddenly giant chest!

(9 Posts)
MollyBloomYes Sat 02-Apr-16 18:49:18

I'm breastfeeding an enormous baby. Nearly four months in so guessing boobs have 'settled' to what they're going to be. They look huge and my nursing bra probably isn't helping! Everything I wear looks matronly and dumpy. I've always been fairly hourglass and still have a waist that goes in, it's just accompanied by a bit of a wobbly tummy out front!

Can only afford eBay but want to get some summery tops ready for warmer weather and have no idea what sort of style I should be looking for. I'm useless at this sort of thing! Don't need specific nursing tops I just wear a vest underneath and pull one up and one down

daftbesom Sat 02-Apr-16 20:33:39

If ebay have any Pepperberry, zoom in on those, they are very flattering to large norks without acres of material round your middle. (Although quite a few of their styles are lower-cut than I'm comfortable with. Still get some gems though. And anyway if you're wearing a vest underneath you will not mind.) Have a look on Pepperberry's own website for advice about the sizing, it's tailored to largeness of chest.

Generically speaking, v-necks and a bit of structure are your friends. Jersey styles are move forgiving than cotton/ linen with no stretch, especially if you're pulling up and down to bf.

HappyAsASandboy Sat 02-Apr-16 20:40:12

If you're confident about correctly fitting an underwired bra, try a Freya Pure nursing bra. It fits like a 'normal' underwired t shirt bra but has nursing clips.

It has changed my breastfeeding wardrobe this time around. With a traditional non-wired nursing bra I had a matronly shelf that made me give up trying to look good. This time around, I have normal boobs! The Pure seems almost identical to the Freya Deco and so it makes a clearly defined two-boob shape smile

I can't offer any advice on dressing a mono boob because I didn't crack it last time and I don't have the mono-boob this time!

MollyBloomYes Sat 02-Apr-16 21:55:56

Amazing advice from both thank you!

MrsLettuce Sat 02-Apr-16 22:03:02

Properly fitted underwired bras really are fine when breastfeeding and it makes all the difference in terms of fit and comfort too. Official nursing bras in the size I was when BF were way out of my budget so I converted normal ones.

Do you know your proper size?

MrsLettuce Sat 02-Apr-16 22:09:07

Sorry, that wasn't clear! Used conversion clips like these. Thus. A bit nerve wracking the first time but very easy to do.

LBOCS2 Sat 02-Apr-16 22:10:13

After I'd established breastfeeding I sort of gave up with nursing bras - I just wore a normal one (underwired) and popped my boob over the top after dropping the strap down my arm. Having decent structure to it all made a big difference in terms of how I felt and how my clothes hung.

KP86 Sat 02-Apr-16 22:11:54

Freya maternity bras are fabulous. Worth the £ as they have Flexi wires, rather than full on underwire which is not great for BF mums.

MrsLettuce Sat 02-Apr-16 22:15:46

yy, I did that later on too. Didn't work with all bras but there were still plenty that were fine.
I tried it with DC2 reasonably early on but after things had settled well, so mayble at about 4 months, but there was just too much leakage caused by scooping the breast out of the cup, IYSWIM (might just be me, I was pretty leaky). Was fine once we got onto solids a decent bit and things had truly settled.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now