Talk

Advanced search

At home tooth whitening

(6 Posts)
yorkshapudding Fri 01-Apr-16 09:06:37

Apologies if this has been done to death but can anyone recommend any at home teeth whitening products that are safe and don't cost an arm and a leg? I know people rave about the Crest whitening strips but the fact that you can't legally buy them in the UK makes me a bit nervous about what might be in them!

I can't afford to have my teeth whitened professionally and don't necessarily want a Hollywood Smile but just for my teeth to look fresher, brighter and a bit less dull.

I have heard good things about the Pearl Drops Every day whitening toothpaste but not sure if this would be enough on its own?

Thanks smile

BrendasGotABaby Fri 01-Apr-16 12:09:36

Crest strips are the only at home product that has worked for me (sorry!).

They have a higher percentage of peroxide in them than the British Dental Association is happy with, basically - so the argument is that they can damage the enamel on your teeth. American dentists are quite happy to recommend them, though, and I know which nation seems to have the better teeth grin

Its a case of weighing up the pros and cons I guess.

I use the Advanced strips twice a year (the ones you wear for 30 mins at a time, rather than the 20 day course). They're not as good as Zoom whitening in a dental surgery, but they are pretty good at lifting your teeth a few shades.

EmGee Fri 01-Apr-16 12:29:50

They won't lighten your teeth. Dentist told me last week. She did say they would look 'brighter' though. She also said going for an annual scale and polish is a safer way to get brighter teeth than home kits (which damage the enamel).

Once upon a time I used Pearl Drops but stopped due to the above information.

You could try Janina whitening toothpaste. I used this for years and my teeth looked good (not sure how much whiter they were in all honesty).

specialsubject Fri 01-Apr-16 13:18:45

some yanks have whiter teeth, but that's not BETTER teeth. Teeth are supposed to be a little yellow. The Tom Cruise leer not only looks stupid but is a sign of wrecked teeth. Or dentures.

there is a reason that the heavy bleaches are banned in the UK except for use by dentists.

Marylou2 Fri 01-Apr-16 14:50:30

Could you ask your dentist to make you some trays? I can't remember how much mine cost but it wasn't too much and they last for ages. Then you can buy Zoom home whitener which is the only product I find that works at home although I'm currently trying Oral B 3D white, you get 2 separate tubes from Boots for @ £7 so a total bargain and it makes a difference. Would also say that an electric toothbrush beats a manual, I like Phillips Sonicare.
Rereading this I'm sure I spend too much money on my teeth.

piddleypower Mon 04-Apr-16 13:56:23

I tried the crest strips - they made my teeth look nice and shiny and clean but didn't actually whiten them.

I bit the bullet and got trays made at the dentist then did ten nights with the bleach they provide. It cost £250 but it definitely worked really well. From the research I did this is the only thing that is really going to bleach your teeth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now