Talk

Advanced search

Swimming costume with a 'skirt'

(26 Posts)
StarJumpAlertTakeCover Tue 29-Mar-16 18:19:12

I love the thought....but is it ok?
Not the best shape to be fair... I have had a big weight loss and have extra skin on my thighs so thought the skirt would give me a better shape and a little cover up.
Besides I can't do that waxing the bikini line again...yikes that was painful!
Anyone seen any about?

sonata1 Tue 29-Mar-16 18:27:39

Yes in Debenhams. DD bought 2.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 29-Mar-16 18:48:28

Sainsburys have a blue polka dot one that I was very tempted to buy (I'm going away in October so I might wait for the sales)
And they had 'skirts' like a short skater skirt type.

KP86 Tue 29-Mar-16 18:51:58

I get mine from a US site called Swimsuits For All. Pretty cheap, fast postage and good quality. They have 30-40% sales all the time.

sallyhasleftthebuilding Tue 29-Mar-16 18:53:34

BHS had loads last year

EdithWeston Tue 29-Mar-16 18:59:30

Landsend always have them, but as they've shot up in price you might want to wait for the sale. That said, if you get a pair of their swimming skorts in a basic colour like black or navy, you can team them up with all sorts of bikini and tanking tops and rash vests.

There's a few in Bonmarche and ai rather like the navy spotted long leg swimming playsuit.

Most of the actual swimmers' sites have long leg ones too, but most of them look as if they are built for triathletes.

Chocolatteaddict1 Tue 29-Mar-16 19:09:02

Kp86 thank you! I've been struggling finding one for my holidays next month 👍🏼

LittleCandle Tue 29-Mar-16 19:10:43

Simply Be have some lovely ones and they often have hidden support - mine fairly sucks in the bits i don't like!

KP86 Tue 29-Mar-16 19:12:07

I've been using S4A for a few years now. The sizes are fairly true, IME.

SqueegyBeckinheim Tue 29-Mar-16 19:14:12

Lots on zulily here

www.zulily.co.uk/e/shore-club-and-more-176457.html

Oldraver Tue 29-Mar-16 19:20:02

I've got the Sainsburys blue polka dot one (£16) and its lovely.

I have been looking for a skirted one for ages and others I had tried on were halter neck or had that silly string like thing from the centre of the boobs. The Sainsburys one has what I call proper shoulder straps so it gives some support to the boobs.

I dont wnat to shave as it gives me a rash ans I also have skin I dont want to show

SheHasAWildHeart Wed 30-Mar-16 00:43:02

Have bought a couple from Bon Marche a few years ago that are still going strong.

StarJumpAlertTakeCover Wed 30-Mar-16 07:51:37

Thanks so much. Great suggestions and very helpful.
I didn't know some of these websites so really helpful thank you all smile

CatsAreTwats Wed 30-Mar-16 09:34:18

I've had a couple from Debenhams which are lovely, and have lasted ages!

JohnCheese Wed 30-Mar-16 10:38:15

I think they just draw attention and scream 'I'M TRYING TO HIDE SOMETHING'

No one really notices. If they do, it's a fleeting thought, and so what.

Burgerbobismydad Wed 30-Mar-16 10:39:58

I got some from Evans and they're lovely.

Branleuse Wed 30-Mar-16 10:40:50

errr, all swimming costumes are trying to hide something, as are all clothes.

Its up to the individual if she wants to wear a skirt or just pants. If it gets more women swimming then fantastic

JohnCheese Wed 30-Mar-16 10:43:39

Yes but you know what I mean.

OP asked were the 'OK'. I just gave my opinion.

Branleuse Wed 30-Mar-16 11:06:09

of course, its just trying to hide a bit more than usual, for women that dont want their arsecheeks showing.

I see quite a few women in skirted swimsuits, and also board shorts, but I dont see why this should draw attention or make you think a woman has something to hide, any more than you would think a man has something to hide by wearing swim shorts instead of tiny speedos

EdithWeston Wed 30-Mar-16 11:20:49

I think it all depends on what the actual garment looks like. I think ones which are 1950s and jaunty look great. They're often in brights and often have polka dots.

I'm not so keen on ones which are drapey and in strange muted colours.

JohnCheese Wed 30-Mar-16 11:24:07

There is a balance tho, don't you think.
Does it have to be a skirt/boardshorts or 'arsecheeks showing'? No in-between?

I really don't give a fig whether someone wants to cover up or not. But it is my opinion that wearing a swimskirt is not the usual (I see very few) and therefore by that very fact draws attention to the person.

OP has lost a lot of weight and I bet will look great whatever she choses to wear.

Oldraver Wed 30-Mar-16 11:24:22

Its about the wearer feeling comfortable and if you feel happier knowing you aren't showing off a shaving rash, or that extra funny lump of flesh, then that's all that matters.

I feel great in mine and the skirt isnt a great big billowy thing, just a small bit of fabric covering the lower fanny area

SheHasAWildHeart Wed 30-Mar-16 17:50:56

It's not always about weight. Am a size 8/10 and prefer to wear these type of swimsuits. No has ever batted an eyelid. I've worn female swimming shorts and a tankini too. Never had an issue. It's never affected my swimming or my enjoyment of it.

SheHasAWildHeart Wed 30-Mar-16 17:52:36

And for anyone who judges a woman by what she wears, well that says more about you than the other person.

JohnCheese Wed 30-Mar-16 18:09:27

Of course no one has batted an eyelid. No one really notices or cares.

When did I judge? OP asked a question. I answered. Don't shoot me cos I don't agree with everyone. Free speech an' all of that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now