Talk

Advanced search

Where's good for opaque tights?

(19 Posts)
Lookdownthesofa Tue 29-Mar-16 15:07:49

I haven't bought tights in years, having lived in jeans, but I want to smarten myself up a bit and start wearing dresses/skirts.

I'm going to Westfield Stratford later this week, so a vast number of shops to choose from including M&S and John Lewis. My trip isn't primarily for shopping though, so won't have a great deal of time to look.

I'm looking for opaques (probably 80 denier), and a good fit for 5'9" size 14-16 that hold their shape after a few wears and washes.

Lookdownthesofa Tue 29-Mar-16 15:19:20

Also, what colours would go well with this and this.

I've also ordered Clark's Hamble Oaks in tan and navy.

CheeseGerm Tue 29-Mar-16 15:26:11

I always get my tights from M&S as they seem to last much better than other places I've tried. I'd do black tights with both dresses.

Laidupwithabrokenleg Tue 29-Mar-16 15:32:50

Agree with Cheese, M&S. The Autograph opaques are lovely, but the regular ones great too and last for ages

flingingmelon Tue 29-Mar-16 15:35:08

If you are feeling a bit spendy, Wolford tights are ace.

Lookdownthesofa Tue 29-Mar-16 15:42:08

Not feeling spendy unfortunately as I've spent a lot of money on dresses/shoes/a new jacket recently.

Hmm, black tights with navy? I don't really have any black shoes or boots either.

polyhymnia Tue 29-Mar-16 16:04:43

M and S Autograph are really good - one of the very few things I ever buy there.

ThisIsNotARealAvo Tue 29-Mar-16 16:18:03

I was pleased with next tights, they were £10 for 3 pairs and have lasted ages.

OurBlanche Tue 29-Mar-16 16:25:32

I switch between M+S and BHS, don't ask I was desperate and they had some lovely colours. So now I buy 2 multipacks a year, 1 from each shop, usually.

I usually wear blue/green or black stuff, so I buy a multipack of black and a blue, not always navy as some of the mid blues are much nicer.

I also look for reduced ones, usually in a more knitted material. My last pair were grey and have been worn with both blue and black outfits.

I have also had to think about less opaque tights and found, after a lot of Fake American Tan Horrors and weird tights/shoe combinations, that nearly blacks and greys are good all rounders for my moon tanned flesh smile

But my taste is suspect as I also wear the same dresses with cropped leggings and flat sandals during the summer grin

justabigdisco Tue 29-Mar-16 23:13:43

I asked this a few months ago - I wanted non shiny proper opaque black tights. A few people recommended primark and they were right! Exactly what I was after and only about 2-3 quid IIRC

RalphSteadmansEye Tue 29-Mar-16 23:22:41

Primark will not fit the OP. I'm two inches shorter and a dress size or two smaller and Primark tights are too small for me. The crotch sits about six inches too low even in a L.

I buy opaques from M & S, Next or Boots and wool tights from White Stuff. Large fits me now at size 12;I bought XL when I was a size 14 or bigger.

RalphSteadmansEye Tue 29-Mar-16 23:24:11

OP - colour wise, I think you need navy (or French blue), grey and burgundy as options with tan and navy brogues. Not necessarily black at all.

RalphSteadmansEye Tue 29-Mar-16 23:25:34

Just clicked on the dress links - I would definitely wear burgundy tights with those navy dresses.

jellyjiggles Wed 30-Mar-16 04:00:47

Lovely dresses! Grey, burgundy, green would all go well. I only get wolford tights now. At 5ft 9 and pear shape tights are a nightmare and I'm sick of spending money on tights that don't fit or last.

Amazon and the Internet are fantastic for coloured tights!

Shantotto Wed 30-Mar-16 09:57:40

Any recommendations jelly? I'm 6' and since DS around an 18, seem to have huge bum and thighs and I just cannot get tights to fit.

They seem to be for tall thin people are shorter big bottomed people, not both! I've found a seller on eBay for just lack opaque but I want beautiful colours and patterns!

Lndnmummy Wed 30-Mar-16 11:00:41

I always gwtmy tights frm Sainsburys

Becles Wed 30-Mar-16 11:09:06

M and S Velvet Touch. Amazing

CointreauVersial Wed 30-Mar-16 13:12:43

M&S - either the Autograph Velvet Touch or the (cheaper) Bodysensor Opaques.

The Bodysensor ones come in packs of three, and both DDs wear them for school as well. Beautiful soft finish, and fit amazingly well.

Lookdownthesofa Wed 30-Mar-16 22:46:43

Ooh lovely, thanks for the recommendations - both for where to buy tights and for the colours. Hadn't considered burgundy.

I've also got a brown dress, more floaty than the blue ones, that I love but I haven't worn in ages. Maybe burgendy with that too? Can't wait to have a good trying on session.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now