Talk

Advanced search

Casting hair dye - a good replacement for permanent dye?

(7 Posts)
JoyceDivision Mon 28-Mar-16 21:38:35

I've recently started dyeing my hair again.

I have a medium \ dark brown hair that is a dull dishwater colour without dye. I have been trying to find that elusive ash brown colour but each dye I try has red coming through.

The castings range has lots of lovely brown shades so I am tempted to try them but is the coverage anywhere near as good as a permanent and how long does they last being a semi... And what is the colour like for fading?

Thanks!

itsbetterthanabox Mon 28-Mar-16 22:37:47

Coverage is better with semis. They don't last as long of course but as long as you'd need to dye roots of perm dye anyway so it makes no difference.
Make sure to use colour safe shampoo and you'll be good.

Naughty1205 Mon 28-Mar-16 22:41:54

I have same hair colour and use castings 'chocolate' when I can't afford to get it done in hairdressers! Have even using it for years. If you have loads of greys it wouldn't be great, (which I do, if I didn't dye my hair I'd be 70% grey at 42 years old) but it works well and only yesterday I got compliments on the colour and shine of my hair. Wouldn't mind it's in terrible condition after having ds 6 weeks ago and very dry. Definitely worth a try though OP

nickEcave Tue 29-Mar-16 10:04:58

I've used a number of Castings shades over the years. I am over 50% grey now and find it fades in about 3 weeks (I try not to wash my hair more than 3 times a week). My natural colour is mid brown and I find ithe dye comes out quite dark. I use the "iced latte" shade which is recommended for dark blonde/light brown hair and find it gives the most natural look without red tones. Unfortunately it does go a bit orangey as it fades out.

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Tue 29-Mar-16 11:11:20

I have used Iced Latte too, nice mid brown without red tones, though like all colours goes orangey as it grows.
Despite being called semi-permanent it does NOT wash out.

nearlyovertherainbow Tue 29-Mar-16 13:22:28

I don't like it. Initially my hair feels very smooth, but after a few weeks my hair felt like straw. Wouldn't recommend, personally.

Frazzled2207 Tue 29-Mar-16 13:27:48

I use it and recommend it. Lasts 3-4 weeks and as it is fairly cheap and easy to do it's not too much of a bind. I don't have much grey yet though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now