Mulberry Multitasker backpack

(19 Posts)
Mbear Mon 28-Mar-16 19:10:13

I just wondered if anyone has one of these and if so, is it any good?

Multitasker

I know there's been comments that Mulberry isn't what it used to be and I'm happy not to spend that much! I really want cross-body with the ability to carry in a 2nd way. And roomy enough for a laptop, this one looks a big size.

If not, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Laidupwithabrokenleg Mon 28-Mar-16 19:25:56

Orla Kiely have a couple of bags around that size, with a discrete punched stem design www.orlakiely.com/uk/bags/mainline%20bags/16SBSSP025/54212/Black/

botemp Mon 28-Mar-16 20:03:54

Personally I wouldn't trust to put a laptop with a bit of weight in that Mulberry bag with that open clasp that could easily slip off without some sort of opening and closing mechanism.

Speaking as someone who owns a few bags in that price range, I'd never spend that kind of money on a Mulberry bag, and definitely not when it's main selling feature is the multi-functionality (of which the effectiveness I question but you would have to see in store to truly assess). I've been looking for a cross body bag for a while now and came across several bags like this, I'll dig for more if I can remember where else but perhaps one of those will work for you, they should all fit a not too large laptop:

Leather rucksack/cross body that comes in three colours £ 118.00

Black leather rucksack/shoulder bag £ 170.00

Black patent leather rucksack/cross body (the handle pulls up into a cross-body like with the first one but difficult to see in the picture) £ 112.00

Shipping is temporarily free but don't really know till when.

specialsubject Mon 28-Mar-16 20:30:01

that's not a rucksack, that's a farty fashion item. No weight given so guess it is quite heavy. No hip belt so puts the weight in the wrong place.

despite being sold to men, it is suitable for no more than a lipstick and a hanky. If you want to carry a laptop any distance, you need a proper backpack.

Mbear Mon 28-Mar-16 20:32:36

Thank you, Laid the Orla Kiely one was lovely, but overall not deep enough.

bo I am very much the impulse buyer, and yet I haven't gone for the Mulberry yet, there is something not quite right and I take your comments on about the quality and the opening. I will take a closer look with the ones you linked to.

Thank you

Mbear Mon 28-Mar-16 20:45:41

Sorry, cross posts special - I know, I'm just not sure I like rucksacks (sorry). I don't have lots of places to go with the laptop, mainly into London, then tube etc.

botemp Mon 28-Mar-16 21:16:57

Sorry special and Mbear I put in the description as 'rucksack' since that's how the website I linked too described them but they are indeed backpacks.

I'm an impulsive buyer too Mbear when it's something I instantly love and it won't leave me alone (terrible habit), so if you're not feeling it instantly at that price, step away. In general I find these type of multitasking products to be a great idea in theory but rarely deliver well in their separate functions.

Mbear Mon 28-Mar-16 23:06:14

I know, I have tried and failed before!

I think I'm looking for the perfect cross body bag, but have no idea what that is or how to describe it! ( useful )

botemp Mon 28-Mar-16 23:18:37

I'm in the same boat Mbear, the perfect cross body bag is impossible to find at the moment, well not really I know which bag I want but I just can't justify spending that kind of money at the moment so I look on for something I will love as much but I fear it just isn't going to happen. Some sort of sale offer is going to do me in at some point I'm afraid...

Mbear Mon 28-Mar-16 23:40:04

This is nice Elwin

However... the strap looks a little thin for long distance cross body, it possible looks a little structured (the Multitasker did look like the leather would mould round your bum nicely) and there are no internal pics! Other than that I quite like it!

No, I'm not fickle at all.!

Mbear Mon 28-Mar-16 23:41:25

I just realised bo - what is the bag you want?

botemp Tue 29-Mar-16 00:10:49

Oh this is embarrassing... Right, I want a Givenchy Pandora (see first picture) which start at around £1250 and it just goes up a 'bit' more with the leather and hardware that I'd want... I just want something a little bit more slouchy and everyday and everything is boxy and stuff right now, the Pandora fits a ton of stuff in it but it doesn't look huge or bulky (I'm not that tall, that Elwin bag would dwarf me) but the price has drastically gone up lately so it just doesn't feel right somehow. (Also certain Givenchy bags are one Kardashian away from becoming 'it' bags, I'm already worried for one I own). I've been looking into a 3.1 Philip Lim one (second picture) but I need to see it in the flesh and try it on for size.

botemp Tue 29-Mar-16 00:11:29

*stiff not stuff

Mbear Tue 29-Mar-16 07:12:13

Oooo they are both lovely! I think out of my price range, but they are both very nice. Sorry that was no help at all! For me the Philip Lim one would be a better size. I don't have many handbags so any addition to my collection has to be just right.

MrsH5859 Tue 29-Mar-16 14:22:15

I just bought the Sydney from Millu Millu. Great leather and big enough for my laptop. Love it, especially for travelling.

www.millimillu.com/all-bags/the-sydney-deep-taupe-grain.html

Mbear Tue 29-Mar-16 18:00:11

Oh mrs that is very lovely!

One question - would the straps convert to cross body or only to shoulder?

MrsH5859 Tue 29-Mar-16 19:02:30

Just tested and I think the straps really only work for shoulder. You could theoretically hook the two straps together to make it cross body but not sure how comfortable it would be. As a backpack, I love it. And the top handle is good for carrying around when you don't want to wear as a backpack.

You can always try and return...

botemp Tue 29-Mar-16 19:59:36

It's not that bad Mbear, Givenchy will have that bag in their line up in various sizes (this is the medium one), colours, and finishes for forever so I'll get to it when the time is right. The Philip Lim one is actually rather hard to source especially since I want it in tan (I'll probably look at when I'm in the US, cheaper there too) , so it kerbs the impulse quite nicely grin. I don't own many bags either, I tend to spend my money once and wisely I don't really see the point of having a lot of things. I find I'm not using one anymore, I'll sell it on. Makes more sense to me anyhow.

Mbear Tue 29-Mar-16 21:26:13

Oh mrs you bad lady - I really had not thought of buying and returning at all (whistles in the wind)

I tend to rotate my bags on about a six monthly plan bo , so don't get too bored with them. I find being a lefty helps curb my impulse handbag buying. It's amazing how many bags are the wrong way round if you carry them on your right shoulder!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now