Talk

Advanced search

Funeral outfit for an autumn.

(30 Posts)
Karcheer Mon 28-Mar-16 19:09:04

Hello,

Can someone help me find a funeral outfit. I'm an autumn and rid my wardrobe of everything black, I don't really want to buy anything black.

Something I can get online would also be useful...

Thank you.

hugoagogo Mon 28-Mar-16 19:12:53

Have you tried kettlewell?

MrsLettuce Mon 28-Mar-16 19:16:53

So, what colour are you after? Brown? Maybe navy? A dress with sleeves might be best, in terms of value for money, or do you have a jacket or something that might work? What sort of budget?

Karcheer Mon 28-Mar-16 19:39:06

I think probably dark brown, is going to be the most sober colour isn't it?
A dress with sleeves would be good. As it's still pretty cold and the only coat I have is a puffa so not really funerally either :/

If it's something I could wear again up anything up to £250. If it's something I wouldn't a guess about £50. I don't work so the only opportunity to wear it again would be out for dinner or something :/

MrsLettuce Mon 28-Mar-16 19:56:24

TBH you'll probably not enjoy wearing something bought for a funeral to dinner (or whatever), IME the funereal feeling seems to stick somehow in those cases. Navy or grey would work, if you can wear them. Black would give you a lot more choice.

This would work well if you're short. The model is 5'10"

happygoluckylady Mon 28-Mar-16 20:02:33

I would probably just wear black or charcoal. I guess it is one of those occasions where if what you're wearing doesn't suit you 100%, it won't matter all that much.

happygoluckylady Mon 28-Mar-16 20:07:00

I'm sorry, made tjd mistake I usually make and didn't read your post properly. As you don't want black, I would go for brown or black. Sorry for your loss.

Favouritethings Mon 28-Mar-16 21:02:56

Hello! I'm a fellow Autumn. Buy yourself a black dress for up to £50 then wear a lipstick in your colour. Possibly a scarf in your colour too. But, I really do think black clothing is the most appropriate colour for funerals (whether it suits you, or not). Sorry for your loss x

misslemonsfilingcabinet Mon 28-Mar-16 21:13:39

www.hobbs.co.uk/product/display?productID=0116-5761-3671L00&productvarid=0116-5761-3671L00-NAVY-12&refpage=dresses
In black or navy? I know you feel bound to wear "your" colours but I think you'll have more choice in black. Sorry for your loss

misslemonsfilingcabinet Mon 28-Mar-16 21:15:44

Maybe size up and wear a jacket if you are set on autumn colours? www.reiss.com/p/slimfitting-tailored-dress-womens-mora-in-grape/?category_id=1121
Not much choice out there, is there!

Jakadaal Mon 28-Mar-16 21:25:12

What about navy? There are a couple of variations of this

Wordsaremything Mon 28-Mar-16 22:24:59

Are you the main mourner?

Karcheer Mon 28-Mar-16 22:27:07

One of the very close family members.

Floisme Mon 28-Mar-16 22:38:17

I've never been to a funeral where black was expected and I've been to quite a lot - some of them very traditional. I normally just wear something sober and unobtrusive e.g. dark grey or navy trousers and a top in a similar colour. The main thing is not to stand out (unless the family have requested otherwise). I'm sorry for your loss.

LagoDiComo Mon 28-Mar-16 23:24:39

I'm an Autumn and keep a few black things specifically for funerals including shoes don't normally wear black shoes either). As I don't wear black the rest of the time, it feels like a real mark of respect and keeps those things just for such a sad occasion.

Pcat Tue 29-Mar-16 00:04:13

Why not ask around friends and borrow a smart black coat? I have a 'good coat' that has been loaned out for numerous funerals. Then underneath wear what suits you for the wake.....

Believeitornot Tue 29-Mar-16 07:28:10

Surely out of respect you'd just wear black instead of worrying about "style and beauty"?

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 29-Mar-16 07:38:44

If it is likely to be quite a traditional funeral as in an older person and everyone is likely to be dressed in black then I too would wear black.

Something like this perhaps.

I would have a good look on john lewis and order a few to try.

Sorry for your loss. Sadly I think a decent dress/outfit for funerals is sort of essential in your wardrobe the older you get.

Floisme Tue 29-Mar-16 07:39:13

When you're bereaved, worrying about what to wear can be a welcome distraction. I've certainly done it.

Bunbaker Tue 29-Mar-16 07:41:37

I have never understood the concept of buying an outfit specifically for a funeral and would just wear a sober colour instead of black. I wore a dark green dress at the last funeral I attended, and a black coat over it.

Can you borrow a black coat, or even buy one from a charity shop that you can donate back when you have finished with it?

Believeitornot Tue 29-Mar-16 07:47:25

Good point Floisme, I guess I've not. when a very close family member died recently, I already had black to was easy enough to find something appropriate

In this case I'd just get a black jacket - plenty of cheap ones around and a simple black dress.

Roseberrry Tue 29-Mar-16 07:51:37

I would have been a bit hmm at this a few years ago but I remember feeling very concerned about what I would wear when my mum died. I wanted to look nice for her.

Op I would go for a black dress in a style you suit and do as a pp said and get a scarf in your colour.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 29-Mar-16 07:52:24

I try to have various 'outfits' for different occasions in my wardrobe. However the last funeral I went to it was 'no black'.

I think if you work in a formal environment then you probably have clothes that work for a funeral. However I know when I was a SAHM I didn't tend to have much that would have worked for a funeral.

But agree that for some people it is a welcome distraction from the grieving process to go shopping for something to wear to a funeral.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 29-Mar-16 07:58:54

burgundy although not sure if this is an autumn colour

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 29-Mar-16 08:01:20

Not many dresses around with long sleeves.

I think I would be tempted to go with some slim black trousers like these and then perhaps a black silk shirt.

Or a shirt in an autumn colour and put a thermal on underneath and carry a large scarf in your colours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now