curly girl method dye

(14 Posts)
Silvertap Sun 27-Mar-16 12:50:08

What do people who follow curly girl method do for dye?

I had highlights which made my hair straw like so have been growing them out but the grey that is coming through is awful. Any suggestions?

JustAnotherYellowBelly Sun 27-Mar-16 13:01:19

I dye mine one colour usually.
If you're co-washing, you need to wash it with sulphate shampoo before dying to get the best grab.
Chemical dyes tend to relax/slightly straighten hair for a while but henna et al seem better for this.
Any help?

whatamess0815 Sun 27-Mar-16 13:34:21

henna but I am not grey (yet!)

Silvertap Sun 27-Mar-16 13:49:53

I've been reading the henna thread and thinking that might be the way forward!

ZaraW Sun 27-Mar-16 15:14:34

I have a few grey's coming through and use henna one shade lighter than my natural colour to blend them, it works well. Also amla powder mixed in is said to maintain the curl pattern. Henna can make curly hair not so curly....

Silvertap Sun 27-Mar-16 15:39:16

Hmm that's interesting Zara. I'm struggling to maintain my curl at the moment so will google this Amal powder

ZaraW Sun 27-Mar-16 17:16:15

Silvertap mixing amla with henna makes hair browner as it takes some of the red out of the henna. You can always use it as a separate conditioning treatment after henna.

Silvertap Sun 27-Mar-16 18:17:40

Thanks Zara. Any high st suggestions where I can get Amla? I was thinking of trying th Lush Jenna

ZaraW Sun 27-Mar-16 18:26:15

I get mine from EBay.

IDoAllMyOwnStunts Sun 27-Mar-16 18:39:45

Come over to the Lush henna thread and try Lush henna in BRUN. It will leave your hair in fabulous shiny condition and the BRUN shade won't leave it red.
Then post photos when you've done grin

whatamess0815 Sun 27-Mar-16 18:44:37

Lush henna isn't. very good. all processed into these ridiculous blocks which require grating.

have a look at hennaboy (online). very good selection of high quality henna powders.

IDoAllMyOwnStunts Sun 27-Mar-16 18:47:18

Ive never grated lush henna cubes. Just cut each cube into 4 with a sharp knife, add boiling water and shuck with elec whisk. It is mixed with cocoa butter hence shininess. Leaves my hair amazing. It was like straw before.

IDoAllMyOwnStunts Sun 27-Mar-16 18:48:00

Shuck? grin mix..

JustAnotherYellowBelly Sun 27-Mar-16 19:25:22

I second Hennaboy
That's the real stuff and you get lots for your money

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now