Can I wear this dress for work?

(58 Posts)
MamaAwayOnBusiness Sat 26-Mar-16 21:44:53

I'm travelling to a conference in a couple of days and am wondering if I can get away with wearing this dress https://www.finerylondon.com/uk/products/brunswick-integrated-wrap-shirt-dress?taxon_id=6

It's an academic conference and sartorially people approach it differently, some wear suits, some jeans. I never dress formally so wouldn't feel comfortable in tailoring but is this too casual?

CraigRevelHorwoodsPetCat Sat 26-Mar-16 21:48:36

That's a beautiful dress

ImperialBlether Sat 26-Mar-16 21:48:45

I'm sorry, but it looks like a uniform.

MamaAwayOnBusiness Sat 26-Mar-16 21:52:38

Imperial really? Have you seen the back?

MairzyDoats Sat 26-Mar-16 21:59:10

Nice dress, terrible colour.

Costacoffeeplease Sat 26-Mar-16 22:00:49

The model looks like a harassed chambermaid is that the look they were going for do you think?

Sorry, I don't think it's great, but if you like it, go for it

littleleftie Sat 26-Mar-16 22:01:10

No - the front looks like a uniform and the back is too evening for a conference.

I am an academic by the way.

JackandDiane Sat 26-Mar-16 22:02:09

i dont like it but you could

Love the dress. Hate the colour.

MamaAwayOnBusiness Sat 26-Mar-16 22:05:37

The colour in the pictures is different to the actual colour of the dress, it's not lilac-y, it's more 'proper' shirt blue.

I already have it and love it and intend to wear it (when I have opportunity), just not sure if it's appropriate for a work event.

ProfessorPickles Sat 26-Mar-16 22:09:35

Looks lovely, I get why some have said like a uniform but to me it would depend what other items and accessories you wore with it.
I'm not sure it's appropriate for the purpose though OP, maybe more smart casual evening wear?

hugoagogo Sat 26-Mar-16 22:16:23

I like it, but it looks a bit cold.

MamaAwayOnBusiness Sat 26-Mar-16 22:19:54

I actually bought it inspired by Tilda Swinton's wardrobe in A Bigger Splash, with a similar back detail.

www.vogue.com/fashion-shows/spring-2014-ready-to-wear/christian-dior/slideshow/details#29

She wore hers on the beach.

I guess I should save it for more casual events and pick something smart and unobtrusive for work...

captainflash Sun 27-Mar-16 08:49:30

What's wrong with it? I like it. I work in school's management and present at educational conferences and visit other schools for coaching / academic support. I'd wear it. It's a shirt dress- with an interesting back.
If you kept accessories more 'sensible', it'd be fine.

VelvetDandelion Sun 27-Mar-16 08:54:00

I think it would be fine with the right accessories. The model looks like she works in a hospital but her shoes don't help with that.

MrsAlexanderSkarsgard Sun 27-Mar-16 09:10:32

Lovely dress. Wear it. tbusmile

Roussette Sun 27-Mar-16 09:11:42

Sorry but I think it looks like a hospital gown, even more from the back. Agree with a pp that it's not helped by the model wearing what looks like slippers.

BUT if you feel comfortable in it, go for it. Depending on what job you do, a low back on a dress is a bit inappropriate IMHO. Can't imagine wearing it for work but not knowing what industry you are in, it's hard to say.

Mind you, I don't like the Christian Dior link, it looks like the model's head is on the wrong way round! (or she's put her dress on the wrong way round)

Lweji Sun 27-Mar-16 09:16:16

Sorry, I really don't like the dress. It looks like a mix between a cleaner's uniform and an evening dress.
Plus, I wouldn't wear it to an academic conference due to the back.
In my field you'd look very out of place and the opening at the back makes it look like evening wear, not remotely professional. If you're set on it, wear it for dinner, not the actual conference.

poocatcherchampion Sun 27-Mar-16 09:16:27

I can't think of a single occasion suitable for that dress, nice though it is

Snarklepoo Sun 27-Mar-16 09:17:34

Love it, especially with the black outfit underneath.

SanityClause Sun 27-Mar-16 09:18:45

If you're not sure if it's appropriate, you won't feel your best about it, so will feel a bit less confident than you otherwise might. For that reason, I wouldn't wear it.

Nice dress though.

Moonraker37 Sun 27-Mar-16 09:31:32

It's lovely, I think smart too, if you fancy it up with nice shoes.

ShutTheFuckUpBarbara Sun 27-Mar-16 09:34:28

I like it! With the right accessories it would be fine for work

PrimalLass Sun 27-Mar-16 09:48:58

It is nice buttoned up, but open over something else it looks like a lab coat.

DurhamDurham Sun 27-Mar-16 09:54:26

I also think it looks like a uniform from the front and the back just doesn't go with the front. Be a bugger to iron as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now