Talk

Advanced search

Staying pale this summer

(35 Posts)
Aramynta Fri 25-Mar-16 18:08:46

I don't tan well. When I do its on my chest, nose, shoulders and, oddly, hips. It looks really patchy and no matter how hard I try to tan the rest of me it never works. I just end up red raw! I also have tons of individual moles and don't want to risk them mutating.

Anyone else who goes out if their way NOT to tan? What's your favourite sun block? I might even buy a pretty parasol to shade my delicate complexion grin

LadyPriggsbottom Fri 25-Mar-16 18:53:18

I'll be going out of my way not to tan naturally but probably will be fake tanning. I've got fair skin and a lot of moles too so I won't be sunbathing or anything. My favourite sun block at the moment is Avene Eau Thermale very high factor. I only use it on my face though. For the rest of my body I like the Boots Soltan ranges. They are UVA and UVB I think (or the ones I've used have been anyway) and not too many £££.

Coldtoeswarmheart Fri 25-Mar-16 18:56:13

I'm staying pale. I bought Boots Once suncream today ready for the sun. I don't really tan and I think my skin is getting quite damaged-looking on my chest, plus my freckles increase every year, so that's it. Won't be bothering with fake tan either.

ontherightpath Fri 25-Mar-16 19:00:26

Find a sunscreen based on zinc oxide if you want to block the sun completely and wear it all the year round all day long. My favourite is dermalogica super sensitive shield spf30. I lived in a very hot country at some point and managed to get very freckly despite wearing spf50 until a dermatologist told me only zinc oxide will block both uva&uvb completely. Apart from that wear a hat and sunglasses, cover up as much skin as possible and always choose to walk on the shaded side of the street!

Glitteryfrog Fri 25-Mar-16 19:01:21

I'm red haired... There is no tanning! Factor 50 and a hat.
I fake tan my legs, they're so pale they reflect and blind people.

LadyPriggsbottom Fri 25-Mar-16 19:03:39

Oh that's interesting rightpath, can you recommend any zinc oxide sunblocks?

RudeElf Fri 25-Mar-16 19:08:59

Yes i'll be intentionally staying pale. I have loads of moles too and just dont like my odds for skin cancer. Havent tanned since i was a teen. I usually just use any factor 50 cream. Good to have a recommendation here for sun blocks.

treaclesoda Fri 25-Mar-16 19:10:34

Me too. I've never had a tan in my life, I just don't tan and don't really want to either. Plus I live in N Ireland, so there is no sun wink

MustBeThin Fri 25-Mar-16 19:18:07

Yes I will be staying pale, plenty of SPF or I go from ghost white to lobster red then back to ghost white. hmm funnily enough the tops of my feet do go brown. I wear Ultrasun Face SPF 50 for super sensitive skin. It's really good stuff and I only have to apply it once a day.

I don't do fake tan, I'm too lazy. smile

ontherightpath Fri 25-Mar-16 19:27:47

Ladyprigg, I've tried (and liked) the following Dermalogica super senstive shield spf30 has 9%zinc oxide, Shiseido extra smooth sun protection cream has 9.6% ZO -good for arms & legs, clinique city block spf 25 has 6.9% ZO and Obagi nu-derm spf50 has 10.5% ZO. I use Badger sunscreen spf 30 on my kids, 18.75% ZO.

LadyPriggsbottom Fri 25-Mar-16 19:35:57

Thank you rightpath smile

HeyNonnyMaybe Fri 25-Mar-16 19:39:16

rightpath, do all those blend in nicely? I've found ZO creams in the past leave a white tinge to my skin.

ontherightpath Fri 25-Mar-16 20:22:03

HeyNonny, I find the dermalogica and clinique blend well on my skin (normal-dry). My skin is very pale though so I would imagine the darker your skin is the more white the suncream will look? They do all have a slight white sheen so I always wear foundation over the top or dust with a little bit of face powder to take away the shine.

JohnCheese Fri 25-Mar-16 20:37:01

Tanning free zone here. Fake tan only. I like Neosteat sheer physical protection, 7% titanium dioxide, 6% zinc oxide. Slightly tinted, so no white cast.
They do moisturiser+similar SPF, called Exuviance, looks good but I haven't tried it.

JohnCheese Fri 25-Mar-16 20:37:39

I meant Neostrata not Neosteat

MollyLollyPop Sun 27-Mar-16 12:13:10

Hello my fellow pales smile

ontherightpath and JohnCheese - the brands that you use, are they quite lightweight? I know that Sudocreme is Zinc Oxide based and is quite a thick and heavy cream.

Pleased I'm not the only one who physically can't tan (Scottish skin and reds in my hair). Unfortunately I am so pale that fake tan looks VERY fake, no matter what type I use.

Aramynta Sun 27-Mar-16 12:23:21

Thank you all for the tips! I will try out the dermalogica sun blocks as I have always had a good experience with the brand (when I can afford it).

ontherightpath I have added a variety of hats to my wishlist, alongside a nice new pair of sunnies tbuwink Any excuse to shop!

I am sorely tempted by a pretty parasol, too.

JohnCheese Sun 27-Mar-16 21:31:26

Molly the Neostrata is v nice to use. V light. It goes on a bit like a primer. It's ever so slightly tinted so there's no white cast, but it's a v pale tint - way paler than the La Roche Posay spf. It's also a lot nicer to use tha the LRP one. I have normal combination skin (used to be all over oily) and this is the nicest spf I've ever used.

JohnCheese Sun 27-Mar-16 21:33:07

I've seen posters here recommend Biorè watery essence, rave reviews, but I haven't tried it.

dangerrabbit Sun 27-Mar-16 22:13:29

Another on who doesn't tan here. I also don't wear sunscreen as it brings me out in spots so I just stay indoors or If I have to venture outside walk only in the shade while wearing a massive hat and head to toe linen.

margaritasbythesea Sun 27-Mar-16 22:53:06

Hello I have looked at the shisheido, dermalogica and natrasomething zinc oxide creams. The spf only seems to go up to 30. Does anyone know why?

mintbiscuit Sun 27-Mar-16 22:58:44

JohnCheese biore watery essence is great spf for face for everyday wear when you aren't in the sun for long. However, it's not suitable if you are out for long periods of time with high uv index. Would defo opt for physical or combo SS then.

JohnCheese Mon 28-Mar-16 00:31:02

Oh thanks mintb! That's v useful to know. Was going to order one to try soon, but I might stick with the Neostrata.

Enjoyingtheattention Mon 28-Mar-16 14:03:30

I use Clinique cityblock 25 on my face as a primer all year round. It is actually like a tinted moisturiser. However I apply a light foundation over. I'm lucky and have good skin for my age but do feel this helps.

I embraced my paleness a couple of summers ago and ditched the fake tan then. It's too much faff for me!
Pale skin is currently very fashionable (look at all the attention which Elizabeth Debicki has had in her recent role in The Night Manager!), so I'm planning on keeping my skin well moisturised and buffed so it's looking its best for summer.

rubybleu Mon 28-Mar-16 16:29:44

I've got photosensitive facial allergies to fragrance so I have to wear sunscreen daily as any reaction is badly exacerbated by sun exposure.

Favourite so far is La Roche Posay 50+ ultra light fluid under primer and mineral powder foundation.

I loved Shiseido Extra Smooth sun protection lotion a few years ago but currently I can't use it. For my body, Ambre Solaire dry mist is good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now