Talk

Advanced search

Cool tone brown box colour (no red)

(12 Posts)
Ilovetorrentialrain Fri 25-Mar-16 12:20:23

Hi could anyone recommend a box hair dye for mid /darkish brown that doesn't leave a red tone please?

I'm fairly new to box colours (previously had salon colour but now greys mean more regular upkeep needed and it was getting £££).

Why does everything go red on me?

Thanks for any advice.

NantucketNightbird Fri 25-Mar-16 12:26:45

Everything goes red on me too or medium brown ends up black so I'm hoping someone wise comes along smile

Onsera3 Fri 25-Mar-16 12:29:37

My solution is to avoid permanents. They always fade red on me.

I use Loreal Castings Medium Brown #5. I have to leave it 40mins to cover the greys. It's not a true semi and it covers my greys permanently but kinds of fades slightly.

It is actually quite dark brown. (The next shade 'dark brown' is very very dark)

There are other 5 shades like 'Iced' this or that but plain old medium brown is the best in my experience.

PaulineFowlersGrowler Fri 25-Mar-16 12:47:44

You want to go for a medium ash brown semi permanent, I've used nice and easy with great success

NantucketNightbird Fri 25-Mar-16 12:48:18

I've never used a semi permanent will pick one up. I'm 50% grey at 31 so need to colour my hair three weekly.

Ilovetorrentialrain Fri 25-Mar-16 13:29:10

Thanks so much. Off to Boots later, really appreciate the replies.

ontherightpath Fri 25-Mar-16 13:31:21

I use the Loreal Preference 6.21 opera, it has no red in it, just a lovely cool brown colour and does not fade red. It does come out darker than you would expect for a 6 though, it's more of a 5. I have a lot of grey and it covers them really well but I do leave the colour on the roots for 5 more mins than recommended as my greys are quite resistant. I then comb the colour through the lengths for 5 mins maximum so the ends don't end up black.

The Loreal casting shade 5 as also good as recommended by onsera3, but it fades quickly if you wash your hair every day & needs redoing every 2 weeks.

AnaisB Fri 25-Mar-16 14:13:15

Agree with Pauline about NiceNEasy ash brown colours.

I think a "cool" colour means now orangey/yellow tints, rather than non reddish tints.

Ilovetorrentialrain Fri 25-Mar-16 21:02:31

Thanks again everyone. Really do appreciate the replies. Also Anais re the terminology so I know what to look for on the box. Fab. Thanks.

Shesinfashion Fri 25-Mar-16 21:21:37

I have dark brown hair naturally. Every "cool ash brown" I have ever used has turned my hair brown with auburn lowlights. The only way I have got it ash brown was to bleach it first.
Not recommended. It wrecks the condition.

Behooven Fri 25-Mar-16 21:27:17

I use this one - it's Nice & Easy. I would like it a tad darker but it's the best one I've found so far with no red in it.

Shesinfashion Fri 25-Mar-16 22:09:31

I've used that on my hair. Came out light dark red.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now