Talk

Advanced search

Haircare recommendations for thinning hair??

(23 Posts)
BeBe32 Fri 25-Mar-16 12:13:11

Hi all

I used to have really thick hair but over the last year it has become really thin. I seem to lose a lot of hair when I brush it and wash it etc. I have thyroid problems and low iron problems and have been told this is the cause, but despite being on treatment for both conditions for a long time my hair has not improved. Does anyone have any recommendations for products that might
improve the condition and appearance of my hair?

Many thanks

xx

Parka Fri 25-Mar-16 13:11:01

Hi BeBe32. I don't have personal experience of hair loss, but my hair is very thin. I just got sent some samples of some Aveda products that might be worth a look:
www.aveda.co.uk/invati/index.tmpl

Also, have you ever tried L'Oreal Elvive Fibrology? I don't like the shampoo as it really strips colour if you dye your hair - but on me it really did seem to make my hair thicker. And the conditioner is very good too.

BeBe32 Fri 25-Mar-16 14:26:42

Hi Parka

Thank you so much for your reply. I'll have a look at those Aveda products and maybe try the L'Oreal ones too. I've tried several L'Oreal products but not the Fibrology ones so maybe that would be a good place to start.

Thank you!

xx

m0therofdragons Fri 25-Mar-16 14:34:30

I found it's diet and vitamins that make the difference rather than products. Sea kelp is supposed to be good too. I did everything as mine thinned and then had a patch of alopecia so I panicked. Hard to know what made the difference but I now have thick hair again.

Patterkiller Fri 25-Mar-16 14:40:00

If you have thyroid problems stay away from kelp. The iodine will play havoc.

Parka Fri 25-Mar-16 17:40:37

Just to add, I read about Fibrology here - worth a look at the comments as well. Good luck, let us know how you get on!
www.theguardian.com/fashion/2014/mar/08/beauty-hair-thickener-loreal-filloxane

BeBe32 Fri 25-Mar-16 17:48:24

Thank you. I popped into boots and they had a 3 for 2 on the Fibrology products so I bought the conditioner, mask and elixir spray. I didn't get the shampoo because my hair has highlights and I was a bit unsure after your experience so hope it will work using a different shampoo!

xx

Coldtoeswarmheart Fri 25-Mar-16 17:49:51

I like the Fibrology products but prefer Nioxin 4.

Coldtoeswarmheart Fri 25-Mar-16 19:25:13

I also like the V05 blow drying lotion and their seasalt hairspray.

Coldtoeswarmheart Fri 25-Mar-16 19:25:52

And love my Babyliss Big Hair!

botemp Fri 25-Mar-16 19:39:02

If the source of your hair thinning is due to health reasons then a shampoo or other cosmetic product is unlikely to solve it, at best it'll mask the problem. Are they monitoring your hormone levels? Thinning hair is usually due to high testosterone levels. I take vitamin D supplements for other reasons but one of the nicest side effects is that my hair grows fast and thick, great for nails too. If you're interested I use the Solgar Vitamin D3 25 µg (the one sourced from fish liver oil), D3 is the most effective form of vitamin D and worth spending the extra money in my experience though I would suggest getting your vitamin D levels checked by your doctor first, vitamin D deficiency plays a huge role in many endocrine disorders but doctors rarely monitor it. Getting enough omega 3 in your diet is equally important (preferably through food but get a good supplement otherwise).

suspiciousofgoldfish Fri 25-Mar-16 21:50:01

Love the fibrology range.

My hair fell out and got really thin after giving birth.

I used Phillip Kingsley hair supplements and viviscal hair supplements ( not at the same time )
And thought they made a huge difference.

They are pricey though, so perhaps have a look at perfectil skin, hair and nails supplements from high st chemists.

Phillip Kingsley range was created by a renowned trichologist and he has loads of great styling products, I love the maximiser spray.

My advice would be to tackle hair loss from every possible angle!

SmellOfPythonInTheMorning Fri 25-Mar-16 22:07:37

Another vote for the Kingsley products.

ProjectGainsborough Fri 25-Mar-16 22:17:15

Viviscal made me itch and lose more hair. Rogaine worked though...

Spandexpants007 Fri 25-Mar-16 22:18:56

What are you on for the iron?

Spandexpants007 Fri 25-Mar-16 22:19:35

The iron should just take months to sort out.

mrsmeerkat Fri 25-Mar-16 22:20:37

also have this problem.. is it worth buying the babyliss? ?

northernlostsoul Fri 25-Mar-16 22:43:32

Another vote for Philip Kingsley pk45

BeBe32 Sat 26-Mar-16 07:28:48

Thank you for all your great suggestions! I have bought some Perfectil supplements and he Fibrology products so I will try those. I have never heard of Nioxin but googled it and it looked good so I'll see how I go and maybe I can then try that or some of the other suggestions.

I have an underactive thyroid for which I am taking thyroxine. Last year I was found to be very anaemic my iron levels were low but so were my B12 and folic acid levels which also contribute to healthy red blood cells so I now take ferrous sulphate, folic acid and take B12 injections.

Thanks again to you all,

xx

Spandexpants007 Sat 26-Mar-16 07:52:15

What are you taking for your iron? Ferrous sulphate with orange juice is great. There was a study which showed most women with hair loss have low iron levels. Needs to be 50 but ideally 70. Gp's class anything over 10/12 as ok though.

Spandexpants007 Sat 26-Mar-16 07:53:07

Also avoid taking iron with grains or caffeine in any form

BeBe32 Sun 27-Mar-16 08:42:07

I've never taken the iron with orange juice - thanks for the tip!

xx

Truckingalong Sun 27-Mar-16 09:39:57

It's the fibrology shampoo that makes the difference. Makes your hair a bit dry but it's a pay off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now