Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for Tops for Pear Shaped

(10 Posts)
Vistaverde Wed 23-Mar-16 09:19:45

I am a size 6 top, size 8 - 10 bottom and 5 ft 5 tall and struggling to find tops that fit at both my bust and stomach. I also suffer from IBS bloating and find floaty tops tend to accentuate this. Please help, thanks

Bolshybookworm Wed 23-Mar-16 22:21:56

I used to be your exact size before kids (now size 8 on top, 10-12 on bottom). Floaty tops do absolutely nothing for me- I look swamped.

I've always found that plain, fitted tops work best for me. Crew and roll neck fine knit sweaters as well. They need to be decent quality or long in the body to not "ping" back from the hips to the waist (this drives me nuts). Sweaters I get from Zara (and whistles, Hobbs before the kids made me skint), tops from American apparel or H&M.

I have always found French connection good for my shape too- they do lots of size 6 jersey dresses. They used to do amazing slim fit blouses but I haven't seen these in a while.

I could talk to you at length about the difficulties of finding dresses that fit grin

Bolshybookworm Wed 23-Mar-16 22:22:47

The American apparel tops lasted me into late pregnancy so they're pretty stretchy!

Vistaverde Thu 24-Mar-16 08:53:12

Thank you for your reply. I will have a look at your suggestions.

Love2dance Thu 24-Mar-16 10:51:03

Hello OP, I have the same figure (same size as Bolshy). I agree with Bolshy on ribbed and polo neck tops. If you can bear Boden, their jersey wrap dresses (not the fixed wrap) are great, although I don't like the colourways this year. My 3 suggestions:

(1) It sounds counter intuitive, but I have found that stretchy tops with a bit of rouching at the waist/trunk area worked for me when the tummy was on the bigger side. They distracted from the tummy, looked pretty and as you aren't big up top anyway, they can look really flattering.
(2) Fitted jumpers which, because they are knitted, have some stretch but with shoulder or neck details, will skim the tummy and balance the bottom half. Years ago I got a couple of short sleeved/tank top style jumpers from London's Portobello Road Market. Moths got them so had to get rid of them, but I have just found something similar at Banana Republic but with long sleeves here in red and a lovely chartreuse which only seems to be in the stores. BR fitted work shirts have a bit of stretch and are also good.
(3) If you're looking for something lighter, blouses/tops that are less than floaty but not too fitted, again, with shoulder and/or neck details look really nice on our type of shape. H&M did a blouse a few months ago (pie crust collar and shoulder frills if you like that retro Lady Diana look) which is no longer available but search on the website for "frilled blouse" and there's some nice stuff. I like this and I bought this. The cream version is sold out online but it might be worth looking in a local store.

Bolshybookworm Thu 24-Mar-16 14:35:41

I LOVE that jumper love2dance, that is exactly the sort of thing I would wear. I didn't do very good job of explaining the French connection blouses. Basically, this sort of thing:http://m.laredoute.co.uk/ppdp/prod-350000004

I like French connection because they do size 6 in most styles and they tend to be quite narrow on the shoulders (I struggle to find shirts and jackets that don't swamp me).

Bolshybookworm Thu 24-Mar-16 14:40:05

Can I be cheeky and ask for your dress recommendations love2dance? I really struggle to find ones that fit on bust and bum (and waist since the kids came). I love wrap dresses but I basically live in them and want a change- something a bit younger and fresher. Everywhere seems to be full of shirt dresses at the moment, which are a no go for me. They make me look like a tube with an arse.
Just want a couple of nice dresses for summer.

Love2dance Fri 25-Mar-16 02:42:22

This might be a long one although I'm not sure how helpful it will be. I really struggle with dresses. I don't have a specific shop I go to and so I grab suitable looking dresses when I see them and if I can justify the purchase. Evening/occasion dresses are not too difficult if they're long or fit and flare. Hobbs are good but I haven't bought a dress there in ages. ASOS is good for jersey maxi dresses in spring/summer - variations on the goddess style.
I have bought a few vintage dresses from Etsy (you can find reasonably priced stuff but factor in postage and customs charges from the USA based shops).
Generally I find I have to stick to the fit and flare shape so it fits my top half. For summer I tend to wear either a 50's style sundress or a slightly floaty 70's style, knee length, midi or maxi (which I love as I don't love my knees or my chunky calves - but that's another story!).
For winter I don't really wear dresses unless it's for an evening do or if I wear one for work once again its a fit and (gentle) flare or A line.

It's not that I wouldn't wear a dress that's fitted on the bottom half, but I just cannot get into them. The only exceptions were a vest like jersey dress from a range that Denise Van Outen did for Very but that was back in 2007 and it was a maternity range so more generous round the tummy and arse and an ASOS midi dress with a tulip style skirt which I had to buy in a size 10 and have altered.

With those caveats I would also recommend:
Bernie Dexter. Full on 50's style. This is the USA site but if you search around you can get them online here. Great for a summer dress but the waist does come up small so you may want to size up.

& Other Stories. A bit random IMO and I don't shop there that much. In summer they tend to have light, silky dresses which flare a bit and are a little bit looser on top but not too floaty. Nothing there that really does it for me right now, but worth a look.

Etsy
Vintage and mostly American. Ranges from high end designer pieces with prices to match, to some good bargains. Approach with the usual caution about vintage and check photos and measurements carefully. If you don't like wearing vintage it's still great for ideas. Amazing how much high street stuff (like that M&S suede skirt) is a direct copy of a vintage item.
Over the years I have bought these and there's lots of similar stuff:

Off the shoulder tiered sundress. A bit boho but it was cheap and nice - loads more like this on Etsy.

Maxi "hostess" dress with leopard print.

Beach dress. This shop is in Thailand. It's all polyester but good for holidays/packing, quite reasonable and they will do simple alterations to length and width. They came up quite big on me and I needed tit tape on the strapless dress. It's called Onumadress.

A 70's disco dress - my favourite Etsy purchase.

Discoleafvintage on Etsy has quite a bit of 70's stuff. Good for ideas but a bit too pricey for my liking. They have a sale on at the moment.

Phew, sorry OP didn't mean to hijack blush. It's just so nice to swap tips with other pears. Don't get me started on jeans...

Bolshybookworm Wed 06-Apr-16 23:44:14

Sorry, forgot to reply but ever since I read your post love2 I have been trawling etsy and eBay for vintage dresses- so much lovely stuff! I don't know why i didn't think of it, I wore loads of 70s clothes in my teens and early twenties. It was an era kind to those small of boob and large of hip. My only problem is that thanks to my enormous babies I no longer have a 25 inch waist, so have struggled a bit with the teeny waist sizes. Bought a lovely 70s, light cotton shirt dress (flared!) for £25 though. So pleased with it! Thanks for the tip smile

Love2dance Mon 18-Apr-16 12:51:22

Great to hear you found something. I have banned myself from Etsy for a bit. Too tempting!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now