Talk

Advanced search

Coconut oil

(10 Posts)
HollyC255552 Tue 22-Mar-16 16:27:05

Does anyone know whether coconut oil is good for acne prone skin? I've heard good/bad about it.

PurpleDaisies Wed 23-Mar-16 10:40:16

It brought me out in the worst spots I've had for years. I'd stay well away!

What worked for me was switching to cetaphil and an acid toner. My skin's miles better now.

reservedlaydee Wed 23-Mar-16 10:42:56

I've only heard the benefits for hair, as a wash out conditioner. Not for acne help

curren Wed 23-Mar-16 10:43:31

It's seems to be really good for some people and awful for others.

We use it for loads of stuff in this house. It sorted teenage dds skin out. I know people who say it's massively improved their acne.

But I know equal amounts of people that say it's made it worse. It may be worth giving it a go. But don't pin your hopes on it.

LaConnerie Wed 23-Mar-16 10:50:22

I use it for removing make up and for my hair. But for acne, DS did the sudocrem facial thing (basically just using it as a night cream every night) and after about a week his skin was transformed - I use it for the odd spot I get and it is fantastic.

CointreauVersial Wed 23-Mar-16 13:11:27

It's one of the worst oils for pore-blocking, so use on your skin at your peril.

Great for nails and hair, though.

Nabootique Wed 23-Mar-16 13:32:28

I think it depends on the individual, but it is very difficult to remove properly, which can lead to blocked pores. It contains lauric acid, which is anti-bacterial and is thought to be good for acne, though.

Some of the ones that you'll get in a big jar for not very much money will be thicker and heavier, therefore more difficult to remove. RMS do a good, refined one meant for cosmetic use.

Vixxfacee Wed 23-Mar-16 13:34:21

I use it as a face moisturiser so twice a day. Plus use it as a hair moisturiser every day.

CheeseGerm Wed 23-Mar-16 13:43:37

My skin can't handle it as I'm prone to blocked pores, coconut oil exacerbates this terribly. I use Argan oil instead which is amazing but I would use this on top of other acne-specific products, if I were you.

MsBojangles Wed 23-Mar-16 16:52:19

It's blackhead central for me and I'm dry skinned. Didn't do much for my hair either but I do like it for cooking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now