Talk

Advanced search

Is my leather bag now destined for the bin.... Bloody cat related disaster!

(12 Posts)
Buddahbelly Mon 21-Mar-16 15:36:06

I was meant to change the cat litter yesterday (you can see where this is going already). I completely forgot as I was so busy with work id brought home, so was in my spare room working away.

Searched all over this morning for my handbag as I was in a rush and remembered id had it in the spare room yesterday, lo and behold the bloody cat has decided to wee on it (about 5 inches away from her litter tray). It stinks. Its wet and Im disgusted, i'm pretty certain she did it on purpose (I had a lie in yesterday and didn't feed her at her usual 6.30, I could tell she was pissed off with me smile ).

Its a fossil bag, so not hundreds of pounds but to me its the most expensive bag ive got, I saved for a month or 2 to buy it after xmas and now its ruined. Is there anything at all that can be done with it?

fwiw the cat is now curled up staring at me smugly.

AgainstTheGlock Mon 21-Mar-16 17:02:51

Your choices:
1) bin
2) stick it on a 40 degree wash with some washing powder and then treat with saddle oil - if you haven't got that argan oil/Vit E oil/you get my drift.

It will never be quite the same again, but instead it might take on that marvellous aged Mulberry look. smile

Buddahbelly Mon 21-Mar-16 20:41:27

I was afraid of this... The washing machine it is then to try it. never put leather in the machine before so god knows what it will look like but cannot be any worse than it is now.

Cat is now on aldi food for the foreseeable future till i've saved enough to replace the bag!

Judydreamsofhorses Mon 21-Mar-16 21:11:48

I'd try a dry cleaner before the washing machine, although cleaning leather is £££.

PoreofWiner Mon 21-Mar-16 21:16:57

I chucked a goat skin (so super soft and delicate) mulberry in the washing machine after a similar disaster. It came out fine, soon softened up again

CoolToned Mon 21-Mar-16 21:19:43

I washed a leather jacket in the washing machine once. Turned out fine. Try it.

cbigs Mon 21-Mar-16 21:30:58

God cats are just genius aren't they, passive aggressive fuckers and I just adore them grin

AlistairSim Mon 21-Mar-16 21:34:59

Be careful drying it, keep it away from any heat and let it dry slowly.
Good luck, open, cats are hairy gits.

AlistairSim Mon 21-Mar-16 21:36:12

Open?? Op! Ffs.

clutterfly Mon 21-Mar-16 22:36:41

Oh no!

Buddahbelly Tue 22-Mar-16 11:23:35

Right I can officially report that I've washed it, no strong smell anymore, its still wet right now so cant tell if it's faded or not, but i've put it on the line to air out and dry a bit.

Thank you all! I would have just chucked £150 away in the bin had I not posted here smile

florascotianew Tue 22-Mar-16 15:08:35

With luck, you won't need a pet odour removing spray, but just in case: www.greenbrands.co.uk/housecleaningproducts/PSOR500.html

I've used it on sofa-covers in the past and found it quite good. However, it is water-based and therefore might leave a 'watermark' on delicate materials.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now