dr martens

(21 Posts)
NettleFarseer Mon 21-Mar-16 12:19:09

Hi
Really fancy some new Dr Martens but can't really justify spending £100 for themblush
Can anyone recommend any brands/shops that do cheaper versions?
Thanks

StringTheory Mon 21-Mar-16 12:23:20

They will last you a life time if you look after them. They are so comfy too. Well worth the investment I would say.

ThomasSofty Mon 21-Mar-16 20:33:15

The quality has gone downhill for several years now, they really aren't worth so much money (unless you buy the made in England range). I have noticed the quality of the leather is hugely variable, and more importantly the soles wear through so quickly now. The Master Shoe/Myshu website is cheaper than a lot of places, and they also have an eBay shop which I have used before.

mimiasovitch Mon 21-Mar-16 21:03:46

I was going to post about the quality earlier. My dd has school shoes which gave lasted 2 terms and are now pretty unwearable. I thought that by spending £70 or do I'd at least get a year out of them. Are there any similar shoes but harder wearing out there, or should I look at the made in England ones. That's if there's a Mary Jane version. She's definitely not a classic lace up girl.

NettleFarseer Tue 22-Mar-16 20:19:42

See....I wouldn't mind paying ££££ if I knew they'd last.

ThomasSofty Tue 22-Mar-16 21:17:14

I have heard good things about Solovair, and their boots and shoes are still made in Northamptonshire. Even more expensive than dms though!

mimi - Really crap that they haven't lasted longer!

keeponkeepinon Tue 22-Mar-16 21:49:42

I got some black patent 1461 shoes off amazon I think. Can't remember the price but they were nowhere near full price. Keep an eye on there.

ItGoesWithoutSaying Wed 23-Mar-16 09:44:47

Seconded for Amazon, eBay, etc. If you know the style and size you need you can save a bit that way.

Not sure the quality has gone down. DH bought a pair of 1461s (not Made in England or anything special) over two years ago as work shoes. He works in an office but walks to and from the station in them every day (probably about 4 miles in total). They are showing little sign of wear. Before this he was getting through a pair of "office shoes" in about 6 months.

Fauchelevent Wed 23-Mar-16 11:02:56

I have two, white classic boot ones from 2012 which are super scuffed and the lining of the sole is a bit janky. Still wearable if you're a bit -scruffy- punk like me but not ideal.

And a pair of black leather dolly type ones from 2009 in perfect work-shoe condition

FairyBiker Wed 23-Mar-16 11:19:36

Are you anywhere near Wellingborough?
There's a factory shop near there, my last pair cost me £15

WanderingTrolley1 Wed 23-Mar-16 11:26:13

Dr Martens are nowhere near the quality they used to be.

DaggerEyes Wed 23-Mar-16 11:28:19

eBay is always my first stop when looking for bargains!

Keletubbie Thu 24-Mar-16 17:49:10

Seconding the factory shop. You can also buy the UK made ones there for about £40-£50, which may well outlive you.

hollowintheriver Thu 24-Mar-16 18:00:53

I don't owe a made in England DR martens. But owe about 6 pairs of DMs and they have last me for a life time.

ThomasSofty Thu 24-Mar-16 21:32:24

I went through 3 new pairs last year, whereas I have a pair of shoes which must be about 8 years old now and still have perfect soles. Something has definitely changed, and it's pretty maddening! Especially as the prices just keep getting higher.

IJustLostTheGame Fri 25-Mar-16 08:48:01

I'm glad I read this thread.
My DMs which are 20 years old (yup, 20) are finally needing replacing. They've been mega mega worn over the time but are now scuffed badly.
I have some from five years ago which are still going strong.
I love DMs, I'll be gutted if they're now crap. I expect mine to last.
I wanted those white ones with blue Chinese pictures on them. The ones that look like a painted antique plate or something, but at £100 I'd need them to last. Maybe I shall rethink

mimiasovitch Fri 25-Mar-16 10:38:23

Well I just ordered a new pair for dd. The Indica ones rather than the Mariels that she had last, if that'll make any difference. I guess even if they only do 2 terms it's better than the 3 weeks a new look pair lasted. She does do at least 3 miles a day, and is very heel heavy. Other dd has Vans, and they're in a right state, but I'm holding off until she requests new ones. I'm thinking scruffy bugger chic is big right now.

NettleFarseer Fri 25-Mar-16 13:51:31

Thank you for the mixed replies.

Have ordered these from Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00IJNKZ4Q/ref=mpss_a11_2?qid=1458913783&sr=8-2&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=dr+martens+pascal+women&dpPl=1&dpID=41WpxaIAzEL&ref=plSrch

Sorry can't do clicky linkblush

I will report back on the qualitygrin

MushroomMama Fri 25-Mar-16 13:53:37

I got mine off eBay second hand worn once for £50 they wreck my feet though sad

NettleFarseer Fri 25-Mar-16 14:05:15

Mushroom- I've heard dm's are hell to break in.

MushroomMama Sat 26-Mar-16 14:33:43

They are sad only thing that stops the blisters is a pair of tights and thick socks over the top!

The wonderbalm that docs sell helps soften the leather

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now