Talk

Advanced search

Is there no alternative to 20 denier American Tan ?

(21 Posts)
Kr1stina Sun 20-Mar-16 11:50:07

Now the Spring is officially here and the sun is shining , black opaques just look wrong . But it's way too cold for bare legs .

So what can I wear with my skirts and dresses from April - June ?

I've tried coloured opaques ( navy, charcoal , dark plum ) but they look just as wintery as black .

I've tried nude fishnets and I look like someone's great granny. Also they look weird with my navy / grey/ cool colours clothes .

Even when it's warm , most ( not all ) closed toe shoes look weird with bare legs and dresses .

IMO , if you want to look stylish , bare legs require warm weather , a touch of fake tan, sandals and pretty toenail polish . Unless you are on the beach / in the garden / on holiday of course - then anything goes .

Am I condemned to wear trousers from now until the first hot day of summer ?

Millipedewithherfeetup Sun 20-Mar-16 12:23:19

www.tightstightstights.co.uk/tights-c1/opaque-tights-c16/gipsy-40-denier-coloured-opaque-tights-p43/s29230?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=gipsy-40-denier-coloured-opaque-tights-size-one-size-colour-steel-size-one-size-colour-steel-53004100&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&gclid=Cj0KEQjwlLm3BRDjnML3h9ic_vkBEiQABa5oeVYYhkV8HmlD2d_7zyH0zX_0PuTMqFhPeo25Kos15mYaAk0c8P8HAQ lots of other colours on here !

KatharinaRosalie Sun 20-Mar-16 13:29:22

those come in several tones and look like bare skin, just better. www.amazon.co.uk/Womens-Collant-Sublim-Tights-Manufacturer/dp/B00CI4X46S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458480477&sr=8-1&keywords=dim+bb

PedantPending Sun 20-Mar-16 15:16:22

Wolford do 8 denier barely there tights in a colour called cosmetic, which are very good and look 100% better than bare legs IMO.
Bare legs are for on holiday only.

Petal02 Sun 20-Mar-16 15:24:11

M&S do a very good range of 7 denier tights - perfect for spring.

redcheck Sun 20-Mar-16 15:32:54

Who on earth can spend £25 on a pair of tights though? May as well set fire to your money.

Petal02 Sun 20-Mar-16 15:40:11

M&s tights are £4--£5 (a bit cheaper than £25)!

NewLife4Me Sun 20-Mar-16 15:48:45

There are lots of paler tights all over the place.
New Look have them, Dorothy Perkins, Debenhams, Monsoon, Primark, H&M, George at Asda, F&F at Tesco and Morrisons had them last time I was in.
Apart from the high street shops mentioned the super markets were a couple of quid a pair.
i noticed as I wanted something in between the nude, pale ones and American Tan, this is harder to find ime.

ontherightpath Sun 20-Mar-16 16:00:43

John Lewis are selling packs of 3 Wolford 10 denier tights for £34, still expensive but I find they can be hand washed and re-worn many times if you are careful. Cosmetic is the most natural Wolford shade if your skin is pale. Best alternative is definitely M&S, I find the illusion shade quite natural.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 20-Mar-16 16:29:21

I wear leggings year round. Under dressed as tights in winter in boots.

And now it's almost time to swop the boots for ballet flats (with shorter tunics or just on the knee dresses)

I have much more of a problem in summer as I think leggings look weird when it's hot. So I wear nothing but slightly longer dresses.

gonegrey56 Sun 20-Mar-16 16:39:05

The Wolford tights last and last if you wash carefully by hand . I agree with the recommendations for shade Cosmetic . Perfect skin colour for my less than perfect legs

Kr1stina Sun 20-Mar-16 20:33:21

Thank you everyone for all these suggestions and links

Katharina - can I ask which Dim colour you recommend ?

I will check out the supermarkets as I don't know if I can bring myself to splash out on Wolford when I'm so careless blush

KatharinaRosalie Sun 20-Mar-16 20:40:28

Kr1stina, depends on your skin tone - if you're more pink then get the Rose, if yellowish then éclat. Ambre for me is kind of between them, more beige

Kr1stina Sun 20-Mar-16 20:43:47

Thank you , I will go for eclat as I'm yellow . Well I've never tried to match my legs , but I need yellow foundation grin

MamaAwayOnBusiness Mon 21-Mar-16 10:38:50

What do >10DEN tights do for warmth though? Whenever I tried to wear them I would be equally freezing as when I didn't have any at all...

Kr1stina Mon 21-Mar-16 13:30:35

Ah, but I will still be wearing my thermal underwear grin

Doobigetta Mon 21-Mar-16 18:42:25

This summer I'm going to wear trousers for work as much as I can, because I'm just so bloody sick of the whole tights thing. I'm fine with opaques in winter, I find them reasonably comfortable, but thin flesh coloured ones make me SO hot and sweaty and uncomfortable. I wore hold-ups last year, and that was better, but not great and I never had a pair that lasted more than 5 wears. It's a pain in the butt. I don't think bare legs are appropriate for work unless it's over 25 degrees, and I get too cold below that anyway.

Kr1stina Mon 21-Mar-16 20:17:48

I agree Doobigetta , it is indeed a pain in the butt.

I have lots of lovely summer dresses which I wear on holiday and then remain in the wardrobe for the rest of the summer for this very reason sad . it's very annoying

Petal02 Wed 23-Mar-16 08:06:43

I promise that once you find the right 'natural tights' for you, you'll never look back! It gives you so many more Spring/summer wardrobe options.

fresta Wed 23-Mar-16 17:49:54

How do you solve the tights with open toes dilemma though? My legs look awful even with a tan so bare legs not an option,

Doobigetta Wed 23-Mar-16 19:39:44

M&S and others do open-toed tights that work quite well unless the shoes only have very fine straps.

I can wear thin tights for a day, or an evening, every now and again. Every day for a week, and my fanjo gets upset. Apologies for the tmi.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now