Talk

Advanced search

Rosacea sufferers - have you stopped eating spicy food?

(6 Posts)
Awholelottanosy Sat 19-Mar-16 18:43:32

I like cooking with spices but it makes my face bright red and seems to be getting worse as I get older. Seriously thinking of not cooking spicy food anymore sad, I love it but it doesn't love me!

Anyone else got a similar dilemma...?

LadyPriggsbottom Sat 19-Mar-16 20:22:02

I have rosacea and saw a consultant dermatologist privately. She prescribed me various thing and also told me to lay off spicy food, heat (as in sitting by an open fire, radiator etc), alcohol and hot caffeinated drinks. I do avoid these things to a point - I like a g&t on occasion, like a bit of spice in curries etc and love an open fire. I just don't overdo any of these things. For me alcohol and heat are worse for triggering it than spice, but everyone's different (and also my idea of spice might not actually be all that spicy).

BettyBi0 Sat 19-Mar-16 22:07:18

No Dr would recommend this but for me a massive help has been giving up exercise. I used to go to the gym and do classes/run 3 times a week and my face would always go fluorescent pink for a good hour afterwards. We are not just talking a little rosy cheeked here. Since I knocked the exercise on the head my skin has been so much calmer.

I gave up spicy food and coffee too along with making some skin care changes and long term antibiotics. The spicy food didn't make any difference to me tbh. I'd get a bit red faced if I'd eaten something mega hot but it was nothing compared to the scarlet I'd turn if I had some alcoholic drinks - especially wines high in sulphites. Coffee wasn't an instant trigger for making my face flush but it's the one thing I've not been able to add back in gradually over time. If I have it for more than a few days I'm right back to horrible flaring skin and chin spots.

Awholelottanosy Sat 19-Mar-16 22:54:33

Thanks both, I'm starting to feel like there's less and less I can eat and drink and it's all the things I enjoy..!

namechangedtoday15 Sat 19-Mar-16 23:00:55

I have realised now that mine is probably hormonal and my diet doesn't really affect it at all, other than chocolate. It's horrid though, it's such a confidence dip literally every 4 weeks (which then takes 2 weeks to settle down again).

LadyPriggsbottom Sun 20-Mar-16 08:23:40

Rosacea is a twunt. It's just horrible though I know it's only cosmetic. Alcohol is definitely one of the worst things, possibly THE worst thing for me and YY it tends to be certain wines which are the worst.

That's interesting re exercise, as I do go very flushed at gym classes and when I'm out running (instructors always ask if I'm ok and I absolutely am - I just look like my BP is through the roof when it actually tends to be on the low side). Maybe I'll adapt to more moderate exercise like walking and yoga, which I love anyway and / or some shorter HIIT sessions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now