Talk

Advanced search

What to buy in New York?

(25 Posts)
Elsie47 Thu 17-Mar-16 23:12:27

Hi there!

I'm heading to New York soon and would love to hear any suggestions of anything I should look out for shopping wise. We won't have time to do the outlets so will be staying in Manhatten. My excitement at going to Sephora alone might overcome me so really need to organise my shopping thoughts! I don't want to waste time on stuff that I could get at home too much either. So many thanks in advance,

E

Jaimx86 Fri 18-Mar-16 19:38:22

There was an amazing bargain pit of designer handbags in Macy's (base floor).

LuckySantangelo1 Fri 18-Mar-16 19:40:36

The bigger branches of Duane Reed are ace. OPI and Essie nail varnish at half the price of home. Amazing hair grips that are curved to fit your head. Many different kinds of m&ms.

LuckySantangelo1 Fri 18-Mar-16 19:42:17

Also the Chelsea market is worth a look. It's indoor so good for a rainy or cold day. Lots of interesting shops, great restaurants. And the Fat Witch brownie shop is in there grin

Chiliprepper Fri 18-Mar-16 19:44:00

Yes yes to bags and cosemetics. Regular high street brands are a fraction of the cost, so things like OPI/Essie and tarte. Also bargains on things like EOS, l'oreal and maybelline. Kate spade and Michael kors good too if that's you're style. Lucky you!

Chiliprepper Fri 18-Mar-16 19:44:37

*your, damn

Elsie47 Fri 18-Mar-16 20:58:55

Thank you all so much...I am loving all this advice...all these recommendations are right up my street!

andadietcoke Fri 18-Mar-16 21:02:07

Converse.

Pharmacy - sominex, Aleve, maybelline full & soft mascara, crest Whitestrips

Assuming your Sephora list is sorted wink

MunchyMunchkin Fri 18-Mar-16 21:04:49

Go to old navy and get several pairs of their pixie pants. They are life changing trousers!

mumofsnotbags Fri 18-Mar-16 21:31:35

Forever 21 opposite the World trade centre is much better than the outlets I went to ( woodbury common). Stock up there on everything, home stuff, shoes, bags, designer clothes etc, make up. can you tell I love it there!

Also found the target fab too, cant remember if it was downstairs in penn station or round the corner at madison sq gardens but we got loads of lovely home stuff - bedding, xmas decs there.

SellFridges Fri 18-Mar-16 21:38:34

I was in NJ this week. I only had time in the end to raid Sephora but I was almost swayed by a Coach handbag in Macy's.

Pandora seemed cheap too but I'm not really into it, I just spotted a nice ring.

liinyo Fri 18-Mar-16 21:44:26

There is a Bite Beauty store (currently in Prince Street, near Hudson Square ) where you can have a custom blended lipstick made. I had some a couple of years ago when they were in a pop-Up store and they were only about $25. I just ggogled it and they are closer to $50 now but that still isn't too bad if you get exactly what you want - and it was fun. you also need to book.

Elsie47 Fri 18-Mar-16 21:47:30

Andadietcoke....my sephora list is written but needs to be edited big time!!!

andadietcoke Sat 19-Mar-16 06:26:47

Ha! Have fun! My dad's going regularly at the moment and he gets sent to Sephora with a carefully curated list each time!!

mumofsnotbags Sat 19-Mar-16 06:35:05

Sorry meant century 21 not forever 21! smile

msrisotto Sat 19-Mar-16 06:38:53

Ooh I like this thread, i'm going to NY later in the year.

What's so great about Sephora?
Why are Pixie pants life changing?

MelanieWiggles Sat 19-Mar-16 06:44:54

Ooh what's on your Sephora list ?! Going in April myself and can't wait to get in there.

andadietcoke Sat 19-Mar-16 08:26:20

My Sephora list from Christmas (generally things that you can't get here or are much cheaper). I bought some Clinique stuff too but that was cheaper at the airport...

Fresh cosmetics - lemon sugar range (body lotion and perfume)
Sunday Riley power couple pack (good genes and Luna - think it was about $100)
Tarte - blusher and pack of lip crayon sticks
Anastasia Beverly Hills - Dipbrow,

andadietcoke Sat 19-Mar-16 08:27:42

Sorry, managed to post with my elbow while picking up a toddler...

Anastasia BH contd... brow wiz, #12 brush
Kat Von D - everlasting lip colour

MunchyMunchkin Sat 19-Mar-16 09:49:38

Pixie pants are ankle skimming trousers with two way stretch blood quality cut and fabric, lots of colour ways. I had never found any good trousers for work before these. Everyone always comments on how good they look. I have a particularly nice black pair with small white polka dots. The sizing is also good if you're a bit taller than average but not tall enough for the tall range (I'm 5ft 8).

Elsie47 Sat 19-Mar-16 21:36:31

Great minds andadietcoke!!! I also have tarte stuff on my list! I hope to pick up a palette and I hear great things about their mascara. Going to get some Fresh lip treatments too and Kat von D lip stains. Also hope to get some rollerball perfumes in Sephora...love perfumes but hate carrying around big bottles in my handbag!!

Am going to get some Maybelline age rewind concealer...seemingly theres one that we cant get here that works a treat on lovely dark under eye circles...that are a permanent fixture on my face at the moment!!!

Thanks so much to you all again..this is getting me so excited for the trip!

km479 Sat 19-Mar-16 21:40:14

Hi. Is it better to buy make up at Heathrow or in NYC airport? Brands like Mac, Clinique etc. thank you!

andadietcoke Sat 19-Mar-16 21:42:44

km479 duty free in the US is always a bit shit from experience. You're okay with Clinique, Lancôme, Chanel, Estée Lauder but that's all I'd ever bank on there being there. MAC is cheaper in the states than at home though - wouldn't get that at LHR just because it's not available at the airport in the US.

km479 Sat 19-Mar-16 21:46:33

Thank you so much diet coke!!!

TSSDNCOP Sat 19-Mar-16 22:23:58

If you are grin ing with a DH send him in with your cosmetics list to Bloomingdales. dH always gets loads of freebs from the lovely counter ladies.

Go to the management suites of Bloomingdales for a 10% discount card.

Victoria's Secret and Banana Republic are my top tips.

Also shop down in Greenwich not uptown. Easier on the legs and loads of lovely stopping off points for cocktails, ice cream, cocktails.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now