Talk

Advanced search

What do you wear red with?

(21 Posts)
Willsee Wed 16-Mar-16 16:40:54

I´d like to get some more red clothes - need some colour in my life!

I´ve one red jumper, which I wear with dark blue jeans. But that is it, what other colours go?

I´ve also seen a plain red dress I like, But what do I wear on legs? Is black too harsh a contrast? I don´t really like nude tights .

Any ideas?

Doobigetta Wed 16-Mar-16 16:44:34

I wear it with grey or navy for work, and navy or blue and white for casual. But that's a very classic, preppy look that I believe is generally frowned upon by S&B.

Ella2016xxxc Wed 16-Mar-16 16:46:23

How about black jeans?
Or maybe wear a longer white shirt underneath the jumper.
I think the red dress might be ok with black tights for work but maybe a bit harsh for casual wear.
You could get a nice red blazer or accessorise with a red bag.

Liberated71 Wed 16-Mar-16 16:46:33

I have red jeans - worn with blue, grey, white, floral, stripes etc....
Lots of red tops - worn with anything really (well maybe not green but I'm not ruling anything out until I've seen it on)
A couple of red dresses
Red shoes and Red ankle boots - worn with pretty much anything
And for days when I don't have red clothing I wear red socks or red jewellery.
I like red!

Liberated71 Wed 16-Mar-16 16:47:03

YY to red handbag!

madmother1 Wed 16-Mar-16 16:50:20

I love red clothes. I also have a red car smile

Willsee Wed 16-Mar-16 17:36:02

Thank you!

Red car would be nice but out of my budget wink

what do you wear red dresses with liberated? Maybe I should save for summer and no tights needed.

ella thanks. I´ll order the red dress and see what it looks like with black. Thought red and balck might look a bit harsh on me because I am pale.

doobigetta I´ve a classic style myself. But somehow I feel like a Union Jack when wearing red, white and blue. grin. Grey is a good one, and I´ll try a pale shade of navy (there must be a name for that) .

SoyYo Wed 16-Mar-16 18:20:34

I read in fashion article red and PINK are THE new colour combo...not sure if I will try it but interesting idea?

MsBojangles Wed 16-Mar-16 21:36:59

I like red and camel together, although it sounds pretty grim written down.

SwedishEdith Wed 16-Mar-16 21:41:08

I like red and dark purple as well.

dementedma Wed 16-Mar-16 21:44:59

I have purple hair so don't really wear red! grin
What goes with purple hair and green eyes????

LazyCake Wed 16-Mar-16 21:54:20

YY to red/pink and red/purple. I love these kinds of analogous colour combinations, even though for years I believed that they were fashion crimes, having been told this by someone at some point.

Personally, I don't think black goes very well with many colours, red included. I don't like it when black is used as a neutral base. I think black is great, but should only be worn as a colour in its own right. (BTW, maybe I should follow my own advice as I am addicted to black opaques and wear them with virtually everything grin).

Grey/red and navy/red are classic combos and always look good.

LazyCake Wed 16-Mar-16 22:04:58

Ps. As an alternative to nude tights, what about a very fine fishnet in camel, navy blue, bottle green or some other conservative colour, depending on your outfit?? In Venice I once saw a super-sophisticated Italian woman wearing a fine mesh fishnet in beige. I'm very tempted to trial this myself when the summer comes, but am not sure I have the poise and grooming to carry it off. But I can't stay in my beloved opaques year round, don't like nude tights much because they remind me of my nan, and yet my legs are horrendously veiny! So I sympathise with your hosiery dilemma, OP.

stareatthetvscreen Wed 16-Mar-16 22:27:22

navy blue

or grey

Floisme Thu 17-Mar-16 07:05:44

I don't wear much red myself as there are only one or two shades that suit me. But I like it with purples, pinks, oranges and greens - providing the shades are right. I think navy, white or grey can look ok but I don't like it with black.

Basically, red is a full-on colour so I like to see it worn wholeheartedly.

I'd wear grey opaques in winter and bare legs in summer.

Liberated71 Thu 17-Mar-16 17:05:30

Re Red dresses. I have a winter one worn with thick tights, usually black but purple is good too. Tho I may look like a postbox. My summer one - well I use fake tan instead!

MissTurnstiles Thu 17-Mar-16 17:26:48

I love red and pink together.

leedy Thu 17-Mar-16 17:58:15

I like it with navy, grey, and khaki/olive.

ephemeralfairy Thu 17-Mar-16 17:58:17

Grey
Leopard print
Yellow
Navy and white or black and white together (i.e. red jeans with a Breton tee/houndstooth blouse)
I don't like wearing plain black opaques with block colour, I think it looks too harsh. I wear grey tights with red or textured/patterned black tights.

Willsee Thu 17-Mar-16 20:16:51

Thanks for the ideas, hadn't thought of purple, red or olive.

Red dress+ grey tights or purple tights, but what shoes? Black? confused

I like the idea of patterned black tights, might be less harsh. And not something my nan would wear!

Fishnets sound great, do i dare though?
Same with red and pink or orange. I think I'll try those combinations in summer firstsmile. I can see them working for me then.

Liberated71 Thu 17-Mar-16 21:23:52

Of course you dare... Do it and see what you think. Enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now