Talk

Advanced search

Style me, please! Your mission, should you choose to accept it...

(19 Posts)
TeamEponine Tue 15-Mar-16 09:11:16

Ok, oh wise MNers - I have a real challenge for you! I need a new outfit for my daughters baptism, but I'm still carrying an extra stone of baby weight, and need to somehow and very quickly look stunning sad

We will be abroad for the baptism, and temperature should be around 12-15 degrees. Darker colours are fine, and my preference, no solid dark colours, but a black or dark base colour with pattern over it would be fine (according to DH!). I have a nice black waisted coat that I can wear over the outfit. I'm hoping that whatever I wear can then be used for work afterwards.

Here is your mission specification...

I'm a curvy size 10 bottom half, size 8 top half. 5 ft 5 in. Late 30's. Small of boobage. I tend to suit darker and jewel colours as I'm quite fair.

The dress: Ideally I'm looking for a knee length dress, either short sleeves or none, has to be some kind of fit and flare or a-line style as I have quite a small waist and a huge arse and thighs! At the moment I'm considering this dress: www.next.co.uk/x57112s2#381929

The legs: Has to be thick black tights. I have hideous thick tree trunks for legs. This is non-negotiable!

The shoes: Happy with mid-height heels, but I can't walk in very high heels and we will be walking a lot on baptism day. I can't walk in stiletto heels, so I normally either go for chunky heels or wedges. Was wondering about tan shoes if the above dress is ok?

Can you make me gorgeous please?!

Thank you!!! flowers

TeamEponine Tue 15-Mar-16 11:04:54

Any suggestions?

I've also found this dress... www.very.co.uk/joe-browns-midnight-dress/1600017055.prd

strawberrychewits Tue 15-Mar-16 11:35:02

I think the dresses you have found are very nice. However because the prints are quite small i am not sure they meet you criteria of stunning and might not show up well in photos.

I have found this gorgeous print
www.very.co.uk/v-by-very-bonded-satin-tea-dress/1600042639.prd

This may be too pale?
www.very.co.uk/v-by-very-large-floral-jacquard-dress/1600033052.prd

This is my favourite but unsure of your budget. It does have a massive sale price of £1 off - woohoo!
www.very.co.uk/ted-baker-flight-of-the-orient-dress/1600053494.prd

TeamEponine Tue 15-Mar-16 14:07:52

Oh, they are gorgeous, but unfortunately too short for my hideous legs sad

I do love the last one - but I think I'd feel way too self-conscious of my legs.

nilbyname Tue 15-Mar-16 14:13:41

I'm not keen on that last one it looks like the bird is perched on your boob!

I like the first one a lot, you could carry a brightly coloured cross bodY bag to jazz it up?

Laidupwithabrokenleg Tue 15-Mar-16 14:21:31

As it's going to be a bit warmer, why don't you think about going for a midi/maxi dress, so you can leave the black tights. Or what about a smart jumpsuit? Coast have some quite nice ones.

Laidupwithabrokenleg Tue 15-Mar-16 14:25:14

Or what about Hobbs, if that's not too formal for you. I like this which would like nice with tights www.hobbs.co.uk/product/display?productID=0116-5767-9022L00&productvarid=0116-5767-9022L00-BLACK-MULTI-12&refpage=promotions/sale-dresses

Amrapaali Tue 15-Mar-16 14:59:29

This one? www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/dresses/elodie-placement-dress/203362001

Wear it with some patent leather shoes.

Amrapaali Tue 15-Mar-16 15:04:56

Monsoon have a sale on. That shop is your best bet for jewel-coloured apparel. Don't go too dark please, it is a baptism after all smile

This dress is quite elegant.

Amrapaali Tue 15-Mar-16 15:10:12

And don't be rigid about the fit-n-flare style if you are a pear shape. Rules are made to be broken. I find a pencil shape suits almost all body curves. You will look stunning in those form fitting dresses.

Here are some shoes. I would be brave and go with these. But try the silver or darker ones if you are after a more conservative look.

strawberrychewits Tue 15-Mar-16 18:31:16

This one matches almost none of your criteria but would look so gorgeous and long enough to not need tights

..http://m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/Ted-Baker/Ted-Baker-Hanging-Gardens-Ballet-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=6334010&cid=12899&sh=0&pge=1&pgesize=50&sort=-1&clr=Baby-pink&totalstyles=1197&gridsize=3&un_jtt_v_frompage=1

strawberrychewits Tue 15-Mar-16 18:43:01

This one matches more criteria
m.dorothyperkins.com/h5/product?productId=23532761

strawberrychewits Tue 15-Mar-16 18:46:54

www.axparis.com/products/Floral-Printed-Midi-Skater-Dress.html

This one also has a dark blue option

TeamEponine Wed 16-Mar-16 05:32:35

Oh, thank you everyone!

Some lovely dresses there. I think I might need to order a couple and see what they look like.

I'd be v scared to move away from my usual fit and flare style though. Next time I'm actually in a shop I might try some on though, just to be brave and see!

Once I have the dress, I may return for some shoe advice! I'm so useless with fashion stuff blush

creampie Wed 16-Mar-16 09:56:56

That Dorothy Perkins one from strawberry is gorgeous!

TeamEponine Wed 16-Mar-16 12:10:10

Agreed! It is high up on my shortlist - but what shoes would you put with it? Remember that I need to be wearing thick black tights!

motherigloo Wed 16-Mar-16 12:24:59

Love love that DP dress. Gorgeous.

I'd just wear black flats with that, if I were set on black tights. Or black kitten heels? How tall are you?

Otherwise, a pale pinky/nude heel would be nice. Pick out the pink of the flowers.

Diddlydokey Wed 16-Mar-16 12:45:13

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Dorothy+Perkins+Leaf+Print+Sateen+Fit+And+Flare+Dress/222612516,default,pd.html

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Yumi+Scalloped+Hem+Embroidery+Skater+Dress/217607580,default,pd.html

www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Dickins+Jones+Floral+Print+Fit+Flare+Dress/220720486,default,pd.html

frostyfingers Wed 16-Mar-16 19:10:10

I can't help much with dresses themselves but bear in mind that you'll be carrying your daughter a lot so you need to make sure you've got plenty of room across the back and in the sleeves for movement. Also think about a fabric that dribbles etc can be easily wiped clean, nothing too gapey across the frontage so that when you lean forward you don't fall out and frighten the relatives (speaking from experience here!). Have a lovely time, I'm sure you'll look fab whatever you wear!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now