Talk

Advanced search

Mother of the Bride outfit

(17 Posts)
CharlieSierra Mon 14-Mar-16 19:39:34

Summer wedding. I like this dress but I think it would need a jacket. The colours are pinks, blues, and mauves as well as the yellows and corals, and I'd need to pick up the cooler colours. I hate a lot of the typical MOB outfits. Style gurus, what do you think? I'm a size 14, dieting currently, bigger bust, smaller hips.

MrsNoraCharles Mon 14-Mar-16 21:59:32

How kind will that neckline be to you? I have a bigger bust too and I think it might make mine look like a shelf (especially in white).

Are you thinking you need a jacket for the weather or to cover your arms? Seems a shame otherwise to cover so much of the colour.

Lovely shape. Is it a sheath dress that you'd prefer?

PedantPending Mon 14-Mar-16 22:04:44

Too much white.

QuerkyJo Mon 14-Mar-16 22:47:46

I love it, no jacket but poss a pashmina would look good

MyKingdomForBrie Mon 14-Mar-16 22:50:35

I'd go with a cropped jacket in one of the colours to detract from so much white. Gorgeous dress though.

CharlieSierra Tue 15-Mar-16 06:59:25

Those who think too much white, is that because it's for a wedding or just in general?

I think the neckline will suit me, it's a shape I wear a lot, but not 100% sure about the fit of the dress as its LK Bennet so it may be too loose in the hip. I could have it altered if it's right otherwise though. I think I need a jacket for formality really, as the mum of the bride is just a dress ok? I'm trying to strike a balance between the usual overdressed MOB offerings and too much the other way.

Belikethat Tue 15-Mar-16 07:04:22

Yes I thought it was a lot of white too but you can get away with it with a strong colour in the shoes and maybe a short jacket.

NisekoWhistler Tue 15-Mar-16 07:07:48

I would say too much white for a wedding, it's a lovely dress and perhaps a guest could get away with wearing but I don't think MOB or MOG should wear.

MyKingdomForBrie Tue 15-Mar-16 09:33:29

My mum wore cream (having checked with me!) and it didn't look weird at all. I was saying because it's a wedding not just in general but I really think with a coloured jacket it'll be fine colour wise.

MyKingdomForBrie Tue 15-Mar-16 09:33:45

What does your daughter think?

QuerkyJo Tue 15-Mar-16 10:06:49

No-one in my family would care about some-one wearing white at the wedding. I think it is really elegant

nmg85 Tue 15-Mar-16 10:10:28

I like it and would have been happy with my mum wearing it. As others have said add colourful jacket and shoes and hat if wearing one

middlings Tue 15-Mar-16 10:12:40

That's a gorgeous dress! Agree about a cropped jacket but just to smarten it up rather than hide the white.

My Mum wore a black and white dress to my wedding with a black jacket (dress was more white than black) and it didn't bother me in the slightest. She looked lovely.

CharlieSierra Tue 15-Mar-16 11:23:14

My daughter loves it and the colours go with the wedding colours (bright summer flowers, bridesmaids all different colours). I don't think she's worried about it being mainly white, it isn't remotely 'bridal' and she'll be the one in ivory silk and tulle smile My reservation is that I think just a dress isn't 'dressy' enough, and need to find something to go with it.

EdithWeston Tue 15-Mar-16 11:31:47

I think it would be too white for a guest to wear, but fine for the mother of the bride (because I'd assume you'd taken your DD's views into account).

I think clothes billed as outfits for the bride's mother are usually way OTT, and think this looks fine, especially if there's a mutilcolour flowery theme.

QuerkyJo Tue 15-Mar-16 11:39:37

Would you be happier in something 'dressier' though. That dress shrieks 'understated elegance' which is what I think MotB, should be. Complimenting the bridal party, not out shining it.

I chose simple smart outfits for my 3 children's' weddings. Even so, I never felt comfortable wearing the clothes again. That dress however, could be worn on lots of occasions after.

CharlieSierra Tue 15-Mar-16 12:04:12

I wouldn't be comfortable in typical MOB 'outfits', this dress is very 'me'. And yes, it could be worn again which is a bonus. Hat wise I'm fancying a pillbox style, as rocked by Jackie O and Audrey Hepburn. (In my dreams grin ) Closest I've found so far is £££ though, so still looking for that one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now