Talk

Advanced search

Is there such a thing as fragrance free moisturiser for dry skin?

(27 Posts)
iroblonegen Mon 14-Mar-16 14:57:37

My skin has decided to be dry and/or dehydrated (can't actually tell) so I would like any recommendations for a suitable moisturiser that is fragrance free.

I bought a L'oreal Triple Action one today which absolutely reeks but thankfully it only cost me about £5.

I would welcome any recommendations before I spend a small fortune trying to find something that doesn't smell. Am happy to spend up to £10-£15. Thanks very much!

Sprink Mon 14-Mar-16 15:08:27

Have you considered aqueous cream or cetraben from a chemist? I believe both are over-the-counter and a big tub of aqueous cream isn't even £2.50.

I bathe with the first (instead of soap) and moisturise with the other.

bluespiral Mon 14-Mar-16 15:10:16

Boots essential fragrance free moisturiser (in the tub, not the lotion in the bottle.) It's £1.50 and it's fab. Only problem is it doesn't have an SPF.

gunting Mon 14-Mar-16 15:12:18

Is it for face or whole body? No7 dry skin rescue is very good for my face which gets dry

FrustratedFrugal Mon 14-Mar-16 15:31:12

This is my favorite facial moisturizer. No perfume, but the ingredients have a slight medicinal smell.

MrsLettuce Mon 14-Mar-16 15:36:25

yy, Eucerin as per the link above is perfect. Works a treat for me, my skin is dry and dehydrated (given half a chance) and loves to react to all sorts.

MyFavouriteClintonisGeorge Mon 14-Mar-16 15:37:43

Cetraben is excellent.

OurBlanche Mon 14-Mar-16 15:38:03

You can get large amounts of E45 moisturiser very cheaply. No perfume and works wonders... comes in 500ml hand pump, so really easy to use. I think I pay about £7 in most supermarkets for mine.

I use a sunscreen over it, usually Soltan non greasy spray, as it suits me more than many others.

But I too also recommend aqueous cream. Makes light work of my hands and heels.

SweetAdeline Mon 14-Mar-16 15:41:21

Aqueous cream is great as a soap substitute but shouldn't be used as a moisturiser.

I react to most fragrances and also use Eucerin.

greedygorb Mon 14-Mar-16 15:49:50

I use Avene cicalfate.
www.nvspharmacy.co.uk/avene-cicalfate-cream-40ml.html?gclid=CJjlpZjDwMsCFUko0wod0RkKYg

It goes on a little thick so you don't need much but it is amazing. I'm allergic to loads of products but my skin has never been better since I started using this a year ago. It's really cheap and lasts for ages.

OurBlanche Mon 14-Mar-16 15:50:33

Shouldn't be used as a moisturiser? But it is for 'the relief of dry skin', recommended, in the absence of eczema etc, as a light non greasy moisturiser. I think you may have that the wrong way round, Adeline.

The NHS site says that it is fine for moisturising but should not be used as a sap substitute (emollient) www.nhs.uk/conditions/emollients/Pages/Introduction.aspx

SweetAdeline Mon 14-Mar-16 16:04:29

Emollients are moisturisers OurBlanche and your link agrees with me confused

SweetAdeline Mon 14-Mar-16 16:08:58

See here from eczema society.

SaliShoes Mon 14-Mar-16 16:27:41

I swear by Olay 3 point Regenerist which is usually available on Amazon for around £12 but make sure you pick the fragrance free one.

iroblonegen Mon 14-Mar-16 16:31:22

Thanks for all your replies. I think the Eucerin one sounds good!

OurBlanche Mon 14-Mar-16 17:29:46

Adeline I was responding to your post Aqueous cream is great as a soap substitute but shouldn't be used as a moisturiser.

And the NHS site has this under Soap Substitutes Although aqueous cream is often prescribed, it should not be used. There are better emollients available, as some people may have a reaction to aqueous cream used as an emollient. It also has a high water content, making it less effective than other products as a leave-on emollient.

and I did say in the absence of eczema etc [puzzled] indeed smile

Are we posting at cross purposes, do you think smile

hugoagogo Mon 14-Mar-16 17:34:38

The eucerin linked to is pretty good, but the tub here is even better and works out cheaper.

iroblonegen Mon 14-Mar-16 17:45:35

Thanks for the top tip hugo! How bizarre that a 75ml tub costs less than a 50ml tube.

hugoagogo Mon 14-Mar-16 18:00:20

It's marketed as body moisturiser I think, but I use it on my face and I'm not the only one going by the reviews.

JacksSkellington Mon 14-Mar-16 20:55:09

I use Lacura (Aldi) 10 per cent urea foot cream on my arms and legs. It's amazing and not perfumed, no longer available on Amazon but the link gives you a pic so you know what you're looking for.

Kennington Mon 14-Mar-16 21:52:45

Eucerin 5 or 10% urea is great and I cant see any perfume in the ingredients but I don't have my glasses on me so could be wrong.

notagiraffe Mon 14-Mar-16 21:59:31

DS1 has a massive bottle of Diprobase with a pump action (again, about £7 from the chemist for 500ml.) Smells slightly medicinal but is very good.

CruCru Mon 14-Mar-16 22:57:12

I use the Avene moisturiser.

iroblonegen Tue 15-Mar-16 20:10:05

I bought some Eucerin 5% urea cream (the tube version) today and have just tried it out for the first time. The texture was not as rich as I thought it might be, it sank in very quickly and now I feel like I have a film over my skin! Is it meant to feel like that? I thought my skin would feel sort of pillowy and comforted but instead it feels like it's got cling film over it. I don't know whether this is how it's meant to feel, or whether it means that this cream and I won't get on.

Can any eucerin users out there shed any light? Perhaps it feels like that to start with and then improves??? (She asked hopefully.)

BettyBusStop Tue 15-Mar-16 20:20:26

I dont know about that one, but for a lighter body moisturiser I find Aveeno quite good. You can often pick it up cheaper in Home Bargains or Savers as well. Their hand cream is also good.

I use bog standard fragrance free Oil of Olay on my face.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now