Talk

Advanced search

Revelation! Dyeing own eyelashes and eyebrows is so easy! (and cheap)

(25 Posts)
Laska5772 Sun 13-Mar-16 16:23:44

Took the plunge , bought the stuff , and yesterday got DH to do my eyelashes for me. Then today I dyed my eyebrows and did my lashes over again ( as thought they could be a bit darker) and I can tell you its so easy!

Takes about 5 mins and is and much, much cheaper than the salon. (o rto keep using mascara)..

I used Swiss-O-Par Eyebrow and Eyelash Colour in Brown which I got from Boots for about £7, and theres enough for several uses . .

You do need a steady hand though and to protect the skin around with vaseline. Theres no real need to use the eyes shields that come with it, (though we did when DH did it) .. but they make it too fiddly anyway if you are doing it yourself).

I will never go to the salon for this again .. its £15 a time at my local one

HeyMacWey Sun 13-Mar-16 16:25:30

Did you dye your lower lashes?

Laska5772 Sun 13-Mar-16 16:38:44

Yes I did, not difficult .. smear some vaseline on the skin under the lash on the upper lid and around the brow to protect skin. The first time DH did my underlashes with the shield on (and I just laid back like Lady Muck as you do in the salon)
But I did it again just now looking in the maginifying mirror (as i need glasses) without sheild . Was no more difficult than mascara.. the liquid is easy , applying the gel after seems a bit scary at first (as it sort of 'clumps' the colour) and I was a bit worried about staining my skin but you wash that off straight away and there was no trace of stain except onmy eyelashes and brow hair ..

A definate doer!

LaurieFairyCake Sun 13-Mar-16 16:49:42

I don't understand why anyone would put dye on eyebrows confused is this a thing?

I sort of understand dyeing lashes as mascara colours lashes.

itsbetterthanabox Sun 13-Mar-16 16:55:03

It's dangerous to dye your own lashes. The home kits like these are banned in America because of it.
Even a small amount in the eye can cause ulcers and infection and it's very easy to get it in the eye if you don't know what you are doing. You also can't see what you are doing if you do it yourself! It's best left to lash technicians.

ZaraW Sun 13-Mar-16 17:14:03

I tried it once I had a bad reaction to it my eyes were burning and itching would never use it again.

Laska5772 Sun 13-Mar-16 17:14:43

But then Lots of things are banned in US its a very litigious country.

I bought it easily - Boots and they sell the stuff all over.. However I always come away from the salon with stingy eyes (and the technician has got it in my eyes beforea nd I seem to have survived) ..

Of course its up to you .. I'm just saying its easy and so much cheaper

I really didnt find it at ll hard to see what I was doing , nor got it in my eye,
It was no harder than mascara .. anyway . ill keep doing it , as long as they keep selling it .

My eyebrows are very light ,most salons do eyebrow tint..

antimatter Sun 13-Mar-16 17:27:03

are any dyes based on henna?

Vixxfacee Sun 13-Mar-16 17:32:53

I dye my eyebrows every few days. So much cheaper.

insertimaginativeusername Sun 13-Mar-16 17:39:22

Yes to diy dye!

Love doing it, much cheaper than a salon. I've done one eye at a time when doing lashes before so I've always got one "good" eye to see what I'm doing!

And even with brown eyebrows I find that dyed brows give a more "groomed" look as it catches all the little blondes...more like a HD brow without the price tag 

Euphemia Sun 13-Mar-16 18:11:14

Laurie My brows are a mixture of brown, grey and blonde - they look much better dyed. I have lots of hairs so pale you can't see them!

QueenLaBeefah Sun 13-Mar-16 18:13:00

I've got grey in my eyebrows so I've been dying them myself for a few years.

stupidgreatgrinonmyface Sun 13-Mar-16 18:18:05

I have grey in my eyebrows too. Have been dying them happily and successfully for a few years now. Haven't ever done my lashes though. I like the extra 'body' mascara gives.

NeedToMoveHouse Sun 13-Mar-16 18:30:10

My friend is a beautician and always did my eyebrows, once I moved away she gave me the gift of telling me the stuff beauticians use is available on eBay grin it works out much cheaper and lasts a very long time to buy it over the boots/superdrug versions.

I think it's called rectocil? I will have a Google! Comes in different colours too.

NeedToMoveHouse Sun 13-Mar-16 18:32:59

www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/refectocil here we go! I get the deals including the developer liquid as it comes with application brush, mini jar and other bits too.

MamaLazarou Sun 13-Mar-16 18:45:45

I used Refectocil on DH's and my eyebrows this very afternoon! grin

It's the best brand I've tried yet. You get loads in a pack and the little brush is brilliant.

Laska5772 Sun 13-Mar-16 18:47:53

Brilliant! needtomove thanks , have ordered some..

MamaLazarou Sun 13-Mar-16 18:53:43

"I don't understand why anyone would put dye on eyebrows is this a thing?"

To darken fair eyebrows so you don't need to put penci/powder on them for definition.

building2016 Sun 13-Mar-16 22:18:53

I've found refectocil on Amazon but I don't understand if I need to buy something separate to go with the tint? A developer or gel or something?

imnottoofussed Sun 13-Mar-16 22:27:00

Amazing, I need to have a good look at this and decide on a colour, can't wait. The salon always seem to do them too dark for me, it's like they only I've one colour or something.

NeedToMoveHouse Sun 13-Mar-16 22:40:43

building you get a little tube which is your dye, that's called refectocil. Then you mix that with the developer liquid and that's what you put on your eyebrows/lashes. You can buy them together and then I always end up with lots of the dye left and no liquid so buy that separately. They come with instructions usually too.

imnotfussed they do really good shades, I didn't like how dark my friend did them so chose a shade up and it makes a good difference. I was also surprised how short of a time it needs too, I think it's a couple of minutes, compared to the 10 at a salon.

NeedToMoveHouse Sun 13-Mar-16 22:42:11

Oh another thing to mention about buying it from eBay, I found a sneaky listing once selling out of date developing liquid for cheap angry so watch out for that!

itsbetterthanabox Sun 13-Mar-16 23:57:52

You apply it on like mascara? I'm interested in what results that gives as it doesn't seem like it would properly coat the lashes. Plus it would be even more likely to enter the eye, dangerous and best avoided.

ZaZathecat Mon 14-Mar-16 08:27:46

Laurie eyebrows go grey too!

LazyCake Mon 14-Mar-16 17:42:51

Yes, eyebrows do go grey! A couple of years ago, I noticed some horrible white hairs sprouting out of mine... Got them coloured at the salon but they were WAY too dark. I walked home with my hand over them, pretending I was shading my eyes from the sun! blush Since then, I've done them at home, which allows me to get them just the right shade. I have wanted to do my lashes for ages, but been too chicken. This thread has emboldened me...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now