Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Hand luggage help

(17 Posts)
Donge13 Sun 13-Mar-16 16:22:13

Off to Barcelona in April for 5 days and it's hand luggage only!!
Any ideas what to pack? What the weather will be like? What footwear would be best?
To be honest I need someone to pack for me, I have never flown with just hand luggage

Petal02 Sun 13-Mar-16 16:48:22

I went to Madrid for 5 days in April, several years ago, and it was actually quite chilly, not much different to the UK. I took trainers for day time walking, and ballet pumps for the evenings.

Is there no way at all you could take a suitcase?

Donge13 Sun 13-Mar-16 17:01:29

Dp booked it as a surprise break and thought hand luggage would be easier confused

Petal02 Sun 13-Mar-16 17:07:51

Could he amend the booking to include hold baggage?

I think you should pack as if you were having 5 days in the uk, but include some short sleeve tops, which take up very little weight, just in case you have some warmer days.

EssentialHummus Sun 13-Mar-16 17:14:50

I think hand luggage should be fine. You'll be wearing:

- jumper
- trousers
- scarf
- overcoat/jacket
- bulkiest of your two pairs of shoes (see below)

In hand luggage:
- undies + socks
- ballet pumps
- one smarter dress/top for going out
- two long-sleeve tops
- one short sleeve top
- jumper
- second pair of trousers

I regularly stuff 10+ days worth of stuff into EasyJet-compatible hand luggage. You'll be fine!

Petal02 Sun 13-Mar-16 17:27:04

I've never been any good at travelling light!!!

dragonsarebest Sun 13-Mar-16 17:33:46

Hand luggage will be fine. It'll be warm but not hot in April, nice during the day but evenings will be cooler.

Hummus has got it covered for you tbh. My one comment would be that you'll probably do loads of walking so I'd wear trainers/walking shoes on the flight and take something smarter (heels or ballet pumps, as you please) in luggage. Don't forget your ziploc bag for liquids.

I'm going to Barcelona for work in 10 days with hand luggage only. You really don't need as much as you think you do!

queenofthepirates Sun 13-Mar-16 18:01:14

You can normally add checked luggage if you need to but hand luggage is pretty generous and should be fine. Wear anything big (coat or I would take a nice wrap or poncho in April) and wear your bigger shoes on the plane. Get a lightweight suitcase to give you more! Matalan do them.

We're going away for 7 days with only hand luggage-it'll be fine

LindyHemming Sun 13-Mar-16 18:52:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Donge13 Sun 13-Mar-16 19:09:45

I have decided to just buy at duty free for toiletries

HarlettOScara Sun 13-Mar-16 19:10:15

I've been to Barcelona twice in April and both times were warm and sunny with temps in the high teens/low 20s both times but cooler in the evening.

LindyHemming Sun 13-Mar-16 19:12:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Donge13 Sun 13-Mar-16 19:23:34

Will get them clear plastic travel bottles and try them

LizzieMacQueen Sun 13-Mar-16 19:25:29

Leave a little space for any purchases while you're in Barcelona.

TheFlyingFauxPas Sun 13-Mar-16 19:53:26

It's amazing how much you can get in a hand luggage suitcase! Ds and I went to Amsterdam with this brand here and we fitted in loads. Just check carefully the size and weight your airline allows. Flybe are incredibly generous with 10 kg. Toiletries I used those tiny travel screw top pots for moisturizer, foundation etc and filled up hotel size bottles for shower gel etc. Those plastic bags hold tons! Wear coats for travelling. I rolled all our clothes. Got loads in! I'm a big fan of leggings and dresses. Understand they're not everyone's cup of tea grin

TheFlyingFauxPas Sun 13-Mar-16 19:55:05

I found Birkenstocks comfiest for walking around. Surely Spain will be lovely by then 😊

Lweji Sun 13-Mar-16 20:01:44

Get the biggest allowed suitcase.
Wear the bulkiest and warmer clothes and shoes on the plane.
Take an extra pair of trousers or skirt that matches the rest. Take different styles of tops that make you feel like you're wearing different outfits.
Fill all small spaces between larger items with socks/tights and undies.
Take tops that don't crease easily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now