Going grey

(13 Posts)
thetoothfairywhoforgot Sat 12-Mar-16 08:36:39

I've been dying my hair for years decades. I've always done it myself but it had gotten very dark and I was looking washed out. I get terrible roots because I have a lot of grey hair and a very distinct parting.

So about 4 weeks ago I had a colour removal treatment and it dyed a light brown. But today I had to go back and have my roots done again. It took 1hr 40 mins and I don't think I can afford the time or money once a month. I swear they forgot about me as it was on way longer than 45 mins.

So, I think I'd like to get to the stage where I stop colouring it. But how? Has anyone done this?

SohowdoIdothis Sat 12-Mar-16 13:45:03

Going grey gracefully, can't be doing with any dodgy chemicals on me.

Itsalldramarama Sat 12-Mar-16 15:11:35

I grew my roots out for 7 months then chopped all the old dye off ! Love my natural colour and the freedom of no more root touch ups smile try it , if you don't like it you can always recolour smile look on gray and proud , 1000+silver woman and going gray guide on Facebook for inspiration and also Pinterest , these helped through it smile

Itsalldramarama Sat 12-Mar-16 15:13:43

6 month growth , just before I cut

MrsJayy Sat 12-Mar-16 15:15:31

Im thinking about going for grey its just getting more expensive as I need to do it more often I really CBA anymore.

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Sat 12-Mar-16 16:55:46

I did this last year. But then I recoloured it and now regret doing it looks so false and washed out and regrowth of grey in 3 weeks. I've now stripped the colour again and am an orange blonde. Will strip again and tone then let it grow out. It helps to keep your hair short.

MrsJayy Sat 12-Mar-16 17:00:37

Its really nice i dont want to do the go lighter thing Id rather just let it grow through will i need to get the colour stripped ?

Isthatwhatdemonsdo Sat 12-Mar-16 17:06:50

You don't have to strip your colour Mrs. If you are comfortable with just growing it out then go for it.

MrsJayy Sat 12-Mar-16 22:00:39

Its that grey line i hate it makes me twitchy for the hairdressers My friends grey came in all silvery and lovely mine is meh

Cocolepew Sat 12-Mar-16 22:11:33

I went grey, I do go between natural and dying my hair silver or all white. My hair is very short so its easy to grow out again.

thetoothfairywhoforgot Sat 12-Mar-16 22:18:10

Thanks all. I'll look up those groups.

I have shoulder length hair and really don't want to get it cut short. :-(

I'm thinking of getting some layers of highlights put in the top so I can grow out the colour that way. I don't mind grey, it is the line in my parting a hate.

I had colour stripped and it is quite orange now. Sigh.

Miffytastic Sat 12-Mar-16 22:26:21

I went the blonde highlights route, just on the top, they've now grown out and I'm trying hard to embrace the grey as can't be doing with the palarver of dyeing.

thetoothfairywhoforgot Sat 12-Mar-16 22:36:21

I seriously contemplated hair mascara yesterday! Which is not really 'me' IYKWIM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now