Talk

Advanced search

Dresses for those with a long torso?

(10 Posts)
TheCunkOfPhilomena Thu 10-Mar-16 11:42:22

I have a long torso and short legs and cannot find any dresses that fit properly. I've been buying things for tall people but I'm 5ft 7 so not exactly tall and even then the waist doesn't sit properly so they end up looking like an empire line which is not flattering on me.

I'd really like some knee length tea dresses (I like the 1940's look) but there just doesn't seem to be anything out there.

Any suggestions please?

TheCunkOfPhilomena Fri 11-Mar-16 09:15:10

Bump <looks down at short legs and blushes>

burnishedsilver Fri 11-Mar-16 09:18:36

I think the trend at the momet is for waists to sit high. There was a thread here before christmas with people of all shapes and sizes complaining about the waists not sitting right. The problem with the tall sizes might be to with the dress and not to do with your shape. Most fit and flare types seem to flare from the ribs not the waist.

Beckidewinter Fri 11-Mar-16 09:47:09

I have the same problem. I'm 5'10" with really stumpy legs....I've had some luck with Cath Kidston tea dresses (you have to pick carefully but worth a look) and also Toast if you're feeling flush. I have some Vivian of Holloway dresses that sit well too. I'll be watching with interest for other recommendations!

QueenC Fri 11-Mar-16 09:51:50

I have a long torso and often have success with dresses in monsoon, next and warehouse.

SayAGreatBigThankyou Fri 11-Mar-16 13:45:39

Boden wrap dresses seem to work - but in standard length, not Tall hmm

leedy Fri 11-Mar-16 14:45:31

Hmm, interesting, I've always found Boden particularly bad for having waistbands somewhere up near the middle of my ribs (giving me that fetching "square torso" look).

Agree that Toast can be OK, Seasalt isn't bad either though some styles are better than others.

SayAGreatBigThankyou Fri 11-Mar-16 17:05:29

Me too - should have been clearer, it's their new season wrap dresses where I struck lucky!

TheCunkOfPhilomena Fri 11-Mar-16 17:44:00

Hmm, I'll have to check out Toast as my Boden and Seasalt dresses just don't fit well at all. I don't really suit wrap dresses but maybe I just need to try more on.

Tanaqui Fri 11-Mar-16 18:14:02

I find boden is always high waisted, which is a shame as they do good dresses! Laura Ashley is usually quite good on me, if you can find a style you like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now