Talk

Advanced search

Sports leggings/tights that are also ok for casual wear

(17 Posts)
ipsofatto234 Thu 10-Mar-16 10:49:02

Really started to enjoy fitness and now exercise most days. Barely know self etc. However, wondered if there were sports leggings/trousers that are also ok for casual wear - don't want to look like the kind of people of wear "activewear" without ever actually breaking a sweat, but just wanted to get a bit more use out of sportswear if I'm going to buy it - anyone see WIM?
So leggings that are good for working out, but also for wearing out and about? Had a look at lululemon on advice of friend but is hideously expensive. Assume that is one end of the spectrum and grey trackie bottoms from supermarket are at the other - but suggestions for leggings/trousers from middle of spectrum would be good? Ideally not black!! All suggestions welcome as new to this fitness malarky and no clue what is available...TIA

specialsubject Thu 10-Mar-16 11:28:02

any leggings are fine as everyday wear, but they must have something over them that covers your bum. Otherwise it looks like the lightbulb has gone in the bedroom and you went out half-dressed.

leggings plus short dress good if you have the figure.

Sheusedtobesomeonelse Thu 10-Mar-16 13:52:13

I bought some Nike slim fit trousers the other day and they are the best comfortable but look good trousers ever, the waist band is so nice to wear (come up high on the waist, slim on the leg and nice seams down the back of legs).
They look better than leggings IMO and good with the right trainers.
I had to tear myself out of them at the weekend!

NNalreadyinuse Thu 10-Mar-16 17:01:40

Apologies for stating the obvious but leggings, wherever they are from, need to be thick and not remotely see through.

A few years ago I used to buy leggings from mint velvet. They had a lovely wide waist band and ruching at the ankle. Then the quality went down and they developed holes very quickly. I don't know what they are like now though, but they were only about £15 and looked nice.

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Thu 10-Mar-16 23:09:17

I'm assuming the OP is not talking jersey leggings, so unless they are too small they won't be see through. Definitely don't wear sports leggings with a dress.

What exercise do you do as the leggings need to be suitable for that.

Runningupthathill82 Fri 11-Mar-16 05:48:55

I don't think there is really such a thing - sorry. The only exception might be yoga pants with the fold-over top, which can double up for walking/soft play/wearing around the house etc.

But generally, the sort of tight-fitting cut and wicking fabric that you need for sportswear means it's not really ideal for day wear unless you're going to/from the gym.

Just keep your sportswear cheap. IMO there's no need to spend much money on anything other than running shoes and a good sports bra. Decathlon stuff is great, and such good value that you won't be worried about getting extra wear from it.

Runningupthathill82 Fri 11-Mar-16 05:53:17

Basically, what you'd be looking for in "everyday" leggings - ie thick jersey that's not see through - is the very opposite if what you'd want to exercise in.
Thick cotton holds onto sweat and becomes wet very quickly. You want something in a technical fabric that's moisture-wicking. Unless you're doing yoga/Pilates where you won't sweat so much.

ipsofatto234 Fri 11-Mar-16 07:56:25

Thanks all - so basically, I need to give up my fantasy of walking around like a slightly tubby extra from a Lululemon ad in my beautifully coordinating activewear, which is ideal for working out and also for running meetings/dropping kids to school/eating out for lunch. Sigh. I knew it was an impossible dream!

Hopefully Fri 11-Mar-16 08:00:39

I quite often wear my yoga gear for the school run. I wear 'proper' yoga leggings (ie wicking etc) but not in super shiny fabrics, I'm a big fan of Alo Yoga and I actually quite rate Fabletics for the price. I tend to wear just a sports bra with it for yoga, then add a long vest and cashmere jumper (plus hat/scarf/coat etc) for the school run. I usually wear converse or New Balance trainers, would wear sheepskin boots when cold if I had any at the moment!

InspectorPenguin Fri 11-Mar-16 08:40:40

Hi OP,

I know where you're coming from with this as I work as a PT outside of my day job; I've often spent weeks at a time in workout clothes!

My choices for active wear which I'll keep on all day are:

Nike. Their stuff is excellent quality, washes brilliantly, lasts for years and very flattering. If you can get to a Nike Town they have great displays of street wear.

Sweaty Betty. Pricey, but not as much as LuLu. I haven't bought from there in a while but the things I do have have always attracted nice comments and worked very well as technical fitness wear.

Gap. Do bright, bold designs and a big range of bottoms on their website. Not cheap - pretty much on a par with Nike - but there are usually codes around.

I also check out The Outnet every now and then. They have some lovely stuff in their Activewear section that I would never come across in the shops - or be able to afford full price! They have discounted Nike clothing there too so it's worth looking there even for the more mainstream brands.

Happy training smile

flingingmelon Fri 11-Mar-16 09:13:53

Sainsburys modal ones work a treat. Not really for running but ace for yoga / gym etc. They're high rise and have a good thick waistband.

I think they size big though.

flingingmelon Fri 11-Mar-16 09:15:32

I know you said no supermarket, but I think they're cheap because Sainsburys buy 100,000 of them at a time, rather than they're crap quality.

ZaraW Fri 11-Mar-16 09:17:22

I get my yoga gear from Striders Edge really good quality and looks good, only in the sale as it is expensive.

EmpressTomatoKetchup Fri 11-Mar-16 10:00:40

This shows how you can wear sports leggings everyday, I think a lot depends on your everyday style though. http://www.refinery29.com/how-to-wear-workout-leggings.

The polka dot ones look wearable with non workout clothes IMO. I know women who wear their workout leggings with long t shirts tops or slouchy jumpers and they look fab. I think neutral leggings are more wearable, a lot of supermarket leggings have some neon, always pink for some reasonconfused just google images "athleisure" or look up on pintrest.

EarlyInTheMourning Sat 12-Mar-16 10:23:46

You can totally wear these ones and also exercise in them
www.amazon.co.uk/Womens-Figure-Firming-Waisted-Leggings/dp/B00J8I9S2Q/ref=pd_sim_193_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=31iic402xwL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL200_SR135%2C200_&refRID=0NJ9T2P6YJEVE80EAFYW

Pupsiecola Sat 12-Mar-16 18:06:55

Another vote for Sweaty Betty. Expensive, but usually wash very well and last for a long time. I bought a workout top in White Stuff lately which is very soft and comfortable. They do bottoms too - I think they are new to sports kit. GAP also has some. Well done on the exercise. I've been consistent since August and omg what a difference to body and mind!!

FreeButtonBee Sat 12-Mar-16 18:18:42

I live leggings during the week (on May leave with 3 kids and usually power walking somewhere with a buggy/sling:scooters)

I find tk maxx good for reasonably priced lululemon rip offs. Their 90degree brand fit me well and are on the right side of gaudy. I have three pairs. Wear them for two days and fire in the wash. Dry in about 2 hrs. Brilliant. You do need longer tops. I wear a variety of cos jersey and merino wool tops (am bfing) with the occasional oversized sweatshirt and drapey cardi. Sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now