Talk

Advanced search

Post beauty blogger influenced skin care

(22 Posts)
coldofhands Thu 10-Mar-16 08:14:50

Does that make sense? Over the past 5 or so years my skincare choices have been heavily blogger influenced. And not entirely for the better. I now have sensitive skin with rosacea and on reading the recent blogging transparency threads a few things have jumped out at me where I thought recommendations that a product was pretty much universally good have likely been influenced monetarily in one way or another.

I thought if anyone else is in a similar boat we could post here and share collective, non-sponsored wisdom

I'm after a cleanser that's really plain and simple, suitable for dry & dehydrated skin. Avene or Cetaphil maybe?

Ditto a moisturiser - calming and soothing are key. I saw Eucerun recommended in one of the threads but was a bit lost on specific products.

I try to avoid perfume, essential oils and silicones as all seem to upset my skin

Please excuse typos, I'm feeding a cranky bubs

prettygreen Thu 10-Mar-16 12:36:22

The Cetaphil cleanser is pretty good with my skin. I don't use it very much as I prefer cleansing balms and oils but it doesn't irritate my sensitive skin. Not sure it does much for rosacea though.

I think La Roche Posay do a range for redness but I haven't tried it.

FrustratedFrugal Thu 10-Mar-16 19:46:31

I've reverted to simple routines. Daily cleansing with micellar water and black soap.

Eucerin 5% urea cream if my skin feels dry (it rarely does). Very occasionally, acid pads. I only use glycolic/lactic acid during the darkest part of the year because it is an extreme sun sensitizer.

I also use Biore Watery Essence spf 50 sunscreen or peachy Missha sunscreen or a Neutrogena facial sunscreen and high spf lip balm every day.

Sometimes I use sheet masks or a sleeping mask as a treat.

rosielea Thu 10-Mar-16 20:12:11

I've been using the Lush Ultrabland balm cleanser for years and I really like it, it's very calming on my skin.

LazySusan11 Fri 11-Mar-16 19:28:45

Good thread! I'm looking for a moisturiser having been sucked into buying the latest and greatest and finding that they do nothing for my skin. looking at you Tata Harper

Hormonal combination skin, haven't found my holy grail yet if someone has any suggestions.

itsbetterthanabox Fri 11-Mar-16 19:31:42

Cetaphil has ruined my skin.
It doesn't really clean anywhere near enough and at the same time is drying.
I've got Rosacea and usually oily, spotty skin but certain products make it dry. I've been looking at avene and eucerin but I just don't know what's best! What actually works to help Rosacea?

Floisme Fri 11-Mar-16 19:35:04

I have dry-ish, very sensitive, ageing skin which is happiest if I use as few ingredients as possible. I'm pretty sure the sensitivity was brought on by trying too many random products.

If I use almond oil as a cleanser and wheatgerm oil as a moisturiser, I can normally get away with a sunscreen and foundation without setting my face on fire.

FrustratedFrugal Fri 11-Mar-16 19:43:55

Itsbetter I have mild rosacea, it has been in remission for years. For me, less is more, the less I put on my face, the better my skin feels. What are your triggers? Mine are extreme temperature changes, wind and freezing air, and frequent washing. I try to avoid those. I got perioral eczema from an SLS-laden face wash and cystic acne from oils.

LovelyFriend Fri 11-Mar-16 19:48:16

I have hormonal combination skin and I highly recommend Pure day cream by m&s.

Unscented back to basics. Moisturising but also Matt. Similar to a much more expensive Italian cream I used to use. I also use the night cream and serum in this range.

Less is s absolutely more

FrustratedFrugal Fri 11-Mar-16 19:48:35

I meant to say, what works and what doesn't work is highly individual. My HGs will break someone else out and vice versa. I'd recommend very few products, and introduce new ones very slowly. If you react to something, it is easier to figure out what caused the reaction.

misscockerspaniel Fri 11-Mar-16 20:01:06

Eve Lom cleanser, rescue mask and moisturising mask are really good on sensitive skin, I have used them for years and wouldn't use anything else. But I find the moisturisers too rich for my skin and use eitherE45 or A5 argan oil (Waitrose) - the A5 argan oil eye cream sorted the eczema on my eyelids.

Kennington Fri 11-Mar-16 21:10:06

Grapeseed oil as cleanser and a drop added to moisturiser
Eucerin 5% - I don't find avene as good
Lanolips balm
Vichy normaderm lotion - acid toner
All of the above are less than a tenner usually

midnightmoomoo Sat 12-Mar-16 07:49:18

Snap OP! I know that my skin likes the 'less is more' approach but I'm a sucker for trying new things! After starting a thread a few weeks ago, the general feedback was go back to basics. My skin is normal but I'm prone to hormonal spots which leave marks. Anyway, I have actually stuck to this, morning and night...
Avene Extremely Gentle Cleanser (gently rubbed in and taken off with not-too-hot muslin cloth)
Effaclar Duo cream on my t-zone (I really like this as its keeping the spots at bay without drying my skin out!)
Liz Earle moisturiser (light for morning, Superskin with Neroli for night)

I wish I was a soap and any old moisturiser girl but I'm resisting the urge to find cheaper products and sticking with these for now.

Indecisivejo Sat 12-Mar-16 07:57:07

My skin is ridiculously sensitive and I have tried almost everything from the cheapest to most expensive!
My skin hated Avene but lots swear by it.
I've promised myself I'm sticking with the two products I've used continuously for the longest as my skin seems to like them and whenever I change my skin goes crazy! So dermalogica ultracalming cleanser removed with a warm flannel followed by their skin smoothing cream. Done!

ZaraW Sat 12-Mar-16 08:10:14

I have sensitive combination skin and am currently using Kiss My Face creamy cleanser and MyChelle spf 28 sunshield. I use Bravura hyaluronic acid serum at night which is pretty good. I've always taken the simpler the better with my skincare overloading with products makes me break out.

Howmanyminutes Sat 12-Mar-16 22:22:02

Though cetaphil cleanser gets recommended a lot, it's got sodium lauryl sulphate in so not ideal (though it is fairly low down on ingredients). I haven't used them but cera v products do seem like they have the right stuff in, I was looking at one of their moisturisers which has good amounts of Ceramides in which are part of your skin's own protective mechanism, they're part of the 'filling' between the skin cells along with fatty acids and cholesterol, which help keep water in and irritants out (from what I understand) . Go for low ph cleanser, ideally non foaming. Use warm rather than hot water on your face.

dragonsarebest Sat 12-Mar-16 22:43:13

Yep, another one who ruined their skin by throwing everything at it. It's now pretty reactive/sensitive but I've worked out what I can/'t tolerate and what my skin likes.

So, my routine is something like:
PM
Simple eye cream to remove eye mu. Bioderma all over face. Ren rose cleansing gel. Moisturise (brand varies but basically, no silicones except dimethicone; sunflower, safflower, plum, peach kernel, apricot, sweet almond, black/raspberry oils all good - def no jojoba avocado coconut or shea; as few ingreds as poss)
AM
Ren cleansing gel in shower. Moisturise as above. Currently using Korres sun cream.

I will use glycolic or lactic maybe once p/wk, when I remember, but otherwise that's it.

Zara how is the MyChelle? I saw that the other day and was wondering how it performed.

oOJJOo Sat 12-Mar-16 22:47:11

Such a great post... I'm exactly the same, after years of playing around with expensive lotions and potions recommended by all the big skincare bloggers I've ended up finding a very basic routine that works for my skin.

I'm now using an Elemis cleanser, a Eucerin moisturiser and then various bits and pieces occasionally on top of that (a toner from time to time for example).

I don't use masks at all, I don't use eye cream, I don't use 'acid toner's. All very much raved about by the beauty blogging community.

Honestly, less does appear to be more. And listening to your own skin...

JeopardyMouse Sat 12-Mar-16 22:50:56

For really sensitive skin I'd try just oil cleansing - I like grapeseed. If your skin can tolerate it a couple of drops of essential oil to make it smell nice. It's so cheap!

ZaraW Sun 13-Mar-16 06:42:36

Dragons I really rate them I've used a few of their products over the years and they work well and never experienced breakouts.

Cristiane Sun 13-Mar-16 07:22:18

I've gone back to Eve Lom cleanser after having been sent a sample as part of a beauty box I got for Christmas. I was sent the morning time one which I love and have bought the night one too.

Maybe it has got mineral oil it but it really seems to be the only balm cleanser that I can properly remove - other ones like Boots Botanics I couldn't get off. It works on mascara too.

I also went back to an old favourite Dermalogice skin smoothing cream as morning and night moisturiser.

I bought a Merumaya (sp?) clay mask which is lovely.

Things with acid in them don't seem to do me any favours. I was going to 'use up' some of the Clarins acid toner that was one of CH's big recommendations. I used it once last week and then got spots! So I threw it out.

LokisLover Sun 13-Mar-16 07:47:35

My skin is sensitive and can get dry and tight if I'm not careful and then subsequently irritated. I do think the simpler the better and no need to have a constant rotation of products.

I only use Clinique take the day off balm, works on eye make up too. Then moisturise immediately with nuxe reve de miel comfort cream. It's fantastic. Can't rate it enough as it just sinks in with no irritation. Sometimes I use la Roche Posay exfoliator but can't use anything else of theirs as it irritates.

I have tried and failed with avene, stung and did nothing, euracin was the same. Weirdly the more natural oils the more evil. I can't use ren or neals yard and that sort of stuff.

I've also realised foundations with higher alcohol content are bad too. Chanel Aqua lumiere gave me flaky skin but the original vitalumiere is fine. I have just started to use Indeed hydraluron serum (as recommended by ch but shhhh don't tell) and it has helped with the softness of my skin but it's only been a couple of days so it could go either way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now