Considering botox - any advice.

(18 Posts)
Humphriescushion Wed 09-Mar-16 16:33:17

I have just hit fifty and have been feeling rubbish and have let myself go bit ( had a horrible haircut and gained weight among other things). I am now motivated to lose some weight, am getting a haircut and colour and i am thinking about botox.

I want to know if it is any good for crows feets and lines around eyes? That seems to be my biggest problem. Also how long does it last? Is it worth it? What to I ask the Dr ( cant find any reviews and but at least they are qualified as a Doctor - i am not in the uk so cant follow up any recommendations unfortunately)

Any advice welcome.

plumstone Wed 09-Mar-16 16:35:23

Shamelessly place marking - I am seriously considering this for the 6 wrinkles that are on my forehead - I have promised myself that I hit 10 stone and the needle will happen!!!

betsyderek Wed 09-Mar-16 17:00:47

I went to a doctor 5 years ago to ask about eye bag removal....I was sick of being told I look like shit 10 times a day. I didn't really discuss it with him so let him do some botox which he thought might be a less invasive solution. After about a week I was glowing and looked 5 years younger. I love it but I wouldn't let a nurse do it, my doctor is a plastic and burns consultant with years of experience. I used to go every 3 months but since stopping smoking it's more like 6.
Another reason to find a good doctor is it's quite a revelation and could easily become addictive. Mine says no to 90% of what I ask for!
If you are in the middle east I can recommend my guy. He's a UK FRCS doctor.

plumstone Wed 09-Mar-16 17:21:40

Definitely Betsy - I was chatting to a US based but British cosmetic surgeon about 15 years ago and after I listed everything I would have if money was no object, he advised 6 months of regular exercise, healthy eating and no booze. Then he said the only thing he would contemplate would be a boob lift (and even then he would prefer me to wait till after I had had children!!!! Quite please as I expected them all to be yes definitely you could do with it. He has retired now. but was always very proud of the fact that other than illness, or an accident he refused to do any surgery on anyone under the age of 35.

Alas I am in London - if anyone knows of a good botox doctor please let me know!

Humphriescushion Wed 09-Mar-16 17:27:50

I wont be going to a nurse its a qualified doctor for sure. I will bear in mind though what you say, and make sure that he does not recommend too much.

chipsandpeas Wed 09-Mar-16 17:31:35

I go to my dentist as they do Botox and fillers
All I would say is remember the cost of getting it done a few times a year

Humphriescushion Wed 09-Mar-16 17:34:23

How many times a year roughly would you say Chips?

suzib Wed 09-Mar-16 18:15:46

Do it. I've been getting Botox for the last 11 years and I wouldn't be without it! Just makes me feel more awake and less angry looking.

With regards to choosing a doctor over a nurse - in my experience a nurse has given a lot more injections in their time compared to a doctor. Fairly simple procedure and I've never met anyone that's had a bad experience with it.

You won't regret it!

Flatsfromnowon Wed 09-Mar-16 19:13:08

I'm really tempted and OP am feeling the same as you!

Good idea about hitting a target and getting it as a reward.

Has anyone got any recommendations for South West London?

Humphriescushion Wed 09-Mar-16 19:30:38

I agree a good idea about the target weight.

It maybe a stupid question but will it help with crows feet?

suzib Wed 09-Mar-16 19:50:16

Yeah hump - it's usually done on upper face and one area could be crows feet. Another for example frown lines, another say forehead lines iykwim.

chipsandpeas Wed 09-Mar-16 19:52:50

i only really go twice a year but really could make it 3 if i needed

revealall Wed 09-Mar-16 20:30:54

How do you see the Botox working though? I mean I know you can't use the wrinkles whilst it lasts but do they actually become less visible ( mine are furrows) or do you need fillers too?

Floisme Wed 09-Mar-16 21:59:16

I would specifically ask people who've had it done in their 50s before you decide. Crows feet may be the thing in your 40s but your 50s are more about sagginess and jawline. That's my experience anyway.

Humphriescushion Thu 10-Mar-16 09:22:11

Floisme, my problem seems to be crows feet at the moment. I dont seem to have a saggy jawline yet. I am not sure what you would do about a saggy jawline short of surgery anyway and I am not intending going down that route. However you are right it would be useful to know what people in their early 50s are having.

Blondiewoman007 Thu 10-Mar-16 11:46:28

I love it and would get it more often if I could afford it. I agree with suzib above and I would rather go to a very experienced nurse rather than a doctor. I started getting it in my early thirties and I'm now 41. I feel it works best for forehead lines and frown lines. They just disappear. You can't actually frown when the botox is active so you may find that a bit strange. I think that's why celebs wear sunglasses so much add if they have botox they can't squint in sunlight!
Anyway I find it makes me look much more rested and gives a bit of an eyelid lift.
It takes around two weeks to work so ensure you are booked in for a review and top-up two weeks after your initial botox infection. Most clinicians now inject a little less than they think you will need to avoid the frozen look. You can then get a little more in two weeks if you feel you need it. It always lasts longer after a top up. Lasts around 3 months so if you hate it within 3 months it will be out of your body!

EmbroideryQueen Thu 10-Mar-16 11:57:28

I'd agree about a good nurse. I'm also considering for crows feet and have exactly the same questions as you OP!

Humphriescushion Thu 10-Mar-16 12:16:23

Cant find a nurse here, but this is this doctors speciality ( along with other skin things) so feel confident enough that they have lots of experience. I will have a consultation first so see how i feel after that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now