Talk

Advanced search

Winged eyeliner

(9 Posts)
skippy67 Mon 07-Mar-16 16:16:33

I'd like to give this a go for a themed party. Any recommendations for the type of liner to buy? Are the felt tip ones easiest for beginners, or are gel ones better. Would prefer to spend no more than a tenner. Thanks.

Nabootique Mon 07-Mar-16 16:19:45

I would say felt tip for beginners. I really like the Maybelline Masterpiece Precision one as it has a really fine tip, so the cheat of drawing the wing and then filling it in is quite easy to do.

gBean Mon 07-Mar-16 16:20:35

I like the felt tip ones. Using a VG l'oreal one at the mo. Look at YouTube tutorials. I pull my eyelid slightly so I can draw a straight line, then a small line from end of line pointing to end if brow, then fill in at the top.

Hope that makes sense! I gave an eyeliner tutorial to my team last week (law firm grin)

skippy67 Mon 07-Mar-16 17:25:27

Thank you.

Corygal1 Mon 07-Mar-16 18:29:05

Topshop gel ones are brillo and cheap.

Do the strokes in little feathers, not one big stark line, which is easier, makes fixing mistakes a doddle and looks less harsh.

MagicalHamSandwich Mon 07-Mar-16 18:30:05

Gel is definitely easier than liquid - felt tip or otherwise.

ZacharyQuack Tue 08-Mar-16 03:34:55

You can also try using sellotape or surgical tape as a guide. Stick it on the back of your hand and remove to get rid of some of the stickiness, then stick it on your face from the bottom of the outer corner of your eye towards your eyebrown. You can even mark where you want the wing to end on the tape (rather than your skin).

You can also lightly draw in your wing using an eyeliner pencil and go over it with liquid or gel liner.

Try to have a few practice runs first, and eye makeup remover or micellar water on a cotton bud for cleaning up the edges.

Love2dance Tue 08-Mar-16 13:35:50

Yes yes to gel eyeliner. I am crap at this stuff but find gel easier to clean up when I make mistakes. Bobbi Brown and Mac have nice gel eyeliners but are relatively pricey. Maybelline do a really good one in different colours for about £7.99. Pens are great too, but for me I think best for when you are a bit more confident and have a steady hand. I hate to say it, but the right tools make all the difference to application. Many years ago now (well, 11) I went for a make up lesson before my wedding and bought a Shu Uemura angled eye brush for applying eyeliner. They are now about £21.00 but it is still going strong today so worth it I think. Another bonus with the Maybelline is that I think you get a small brush in the box when you buy the gel.

Lisa Eldridge has loads of good videos on winged eyeliner. I like this one as it shows her applying both gel and pen eyeliner and gives a good idea about how they can be used in different ways. I like the Eyeko eye do liquid eyeliner (pen). It's £15.00 but it is really good (having tried various which dried out/weren't precise/too hard to use/not dark enough). Here.

passmethewineplease Tue 08-Mar-16 13:54:03

I bought a stencil! blush

Not tried it yet. I use a felt tip one too!

There's loads of tutorials on YouTube too which helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now