Talk

Advanced search

Crazy curly hair

(7 Posts)
Temporaryanonymity Sun 06-Mar-16 08:07:15

I am sick of my hair. I'm 40 and I've decided that my curly blonde hair needs help.

It is shoulder length, and has been varying lengths over the years.

Rain makes it frizz, badly, and no amount of frizzease will change that.

It's just too much. I think it looks a mess and I don't know what the hell to do with it any more.

EnidB Sun 06-Mar-16 08:16:11

I have curly hair too and have given in and straightened it for the last 2 weeks. It feels more manageable, but now I feel like most of other 40+ women I see - my curls are me, and I think I'm going to go back to them! All I can suggest is to improve your hair condition.
- Hot towel wrapped around your head with a good conditioner on
- Leave in serum (kerestase do a nice one in an orange tube)
Would a change in cut work, more of a chin length bob so your hair springs up more and isn't weighed down by the length?

Good luck, I've been wrestling with "big" hair all my life!

Temporaryanonymity Sun 06-Mar-16 08:48:09

I've embraced my curls, but yes the condition could be better. I just hate feeling so messy all the time.

PreAdvent13610 Sun 06-Mar-16 08:50:18

Stop using things with silicone in them. Steal some ideas from the curly girl method.

thenewaveragebear1983 Sun 06-Mar-16 08:54:47

My daughter is 12 and is mixed race so has very dry, loose curled blonde hair. We have been doing curly girl for 3 months now and the condition of hwe hair has improved so much. We use Palmers coco formula shampoo and conditioner which is alcohol free, only shampoo once a week (and wash with conditioner only any subsequent washes), have changed her brush and now just finger comb. Its definitely worth reading for some tips.

MamaLazarou Sun 06-Mar-16 09:31:35

My advice would be to stop using silicones and SLS, moisturise it every day and deep-condition with a protein treatment.

The condition of my hair changed significantly when I started treating it like mixed afro hair and started following NaturallyCurly.com on Facebook.

I cowash with AsIAm coconut cowash (from Amazon) and only shampoo about once a month, with a SLS-free shampoo. I put curl creme and moisturising butter (R&B from Lush) after washing and then add a little more R&B to the ends at the end of the day. Once a week, I use Palmers Coconut protein pack and now and then if it needs it, I use Aphogee 2-step protein treatment.

MamaLazarou Sun 06-Mar-16 09:32:23

Oh yes, and I never, ever brush it. Not ever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now