Talk

Advanced search

Following on from the how to look expensive threads - it's all true

(17 Posts)
sirmione Sat 05-Mar-16 20:49:23

I was at a doctor's surgery on Friday and in the waiting room was a women (not a Brit) who was in her 60's (poss 70's), wearing jeans, a black cashmere cardigan with a strip of colour at the bottom and a scarf with colors that complemented the coluor of the cardie, she had classic black knee length boots and a posh looking handbag (no particular label). She also had a proper haircut.
Honestly, she looked amazing. None of it was 'fashionable', but it all really suited her & was a million miles from frumpy. She was also v calm and smiley.
I want that. I am 4 stone overweight and buy cheap crap. It shows.

228agreenend Sat 05-Mar-16 20:52:27

I've looked at elegant women of all ages before, and have felt envious. i defiantly struggle with clothes, and never seem to have a good haircut.

copperpipes Sat 05-Mar-16 21:52:39

yes, simple clean lines are the way to go.

i saw a beautiful woman sort of early 50s today in the supermarket, glossy hair, well fitting jeans, grey jumper with neon tipping on hem and white leather trainers. nice slouchy charcoal handbag.

i really stared as i was loving the outfit so much.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 06-Mar-16 00:43:49

So is it the hair ?

I saw a woman this week (no idea what she was wearing, she was driving) with pulled back dark hair and tinted sunglasses.
Very sophisticated , looked like her and her car 'fitted' (There are lots of ££ cars that have right scruffbags in them grin )

So, does the hair lead and the clothes follow?
I could wear jeans, boots, cardigan and still look rough. (My hair isn't what I'd call 'proper' style)

Need to rethink my hair this year, getting bored with it.

Sammysquiz Sun 06-Mar-16 07:58:09

I think what puts me off buying a few items of quality clothing rather than cheap crap from H&M etc, is that I worry about taking care of it properly. Can't afford dry-cleaning, and sure if I tried to wash a cashmere jumper etc it would never be the same again!

patchworkchick Sun 06-Mar-16 08:10:24

have you been into uniqlo, not expensive and have some great pieces.

sleepwhenidie Sun 06-Mar-16 08:17:34

Cashmere is fine in the machine on a delicates wash with woolite.

On the hair, clothes don't necessarily follow but I think if your hair looks awful then it can completely defeat the impact of a great outfit, no matter how expensive. And hair that looks great, like a fab bag or scarf, can 'lift' a well put together, inexpensive outfit.

NiteFlights Sun 06-Mar-16 08:24:37

I wash cashmere and other delicate things on a cold wash with delicates liquid, dry it flat and it's fine. Not saying I'm elegant, just too lazy to hand wash.

prettywhiteguitar Sun 06-Mar-16 08:48:05

I've been buying cashmere on eBay and the sales are good now, you only really need a couple of cardigans.

I also wouldn't beat yourself up too much, I bet you anything these glamorous ladies do have a lot of money and spend a lot on grooming.

I do it on a budget but it's hard to look polished without having a decent haircut once a month or 6 weeks and it's expensive!

Whatdoesntkillyou16 Sun 06-Mar-16 08:50:22

So what style is a great style? Mine is long and straight but fine and flyaway. Am in my 50s and don't want anything that ages me (pulled back just exposed my wrinkles and sagging features more. Would love to look more polished

mercifulTehlu Sun 06-Mar-16 08:57:06

I loved the 'how to look expensive ' threads, but one thing I simply do not get is the big deal about cashmere. It's expensive and hard to keep looking nice. I have never once looked at someone and noticed they were wearing cashmere. I might think 'that's a nice jumper' but it wouldn't occur to me to think about whether it was cashmere or just lambswool or whatever. Can anyone enlighten me?

vitaminC Sun 06-Mar-16 09:18:05

Merciful Decent cashmere doesn't go bobbly or fuzzy like wool or synthetics. I have some cashmere pieces over 10 years old which still look as soft and smooth and elegant as when they were brand new.

I don't dry clean most of my clothes, by the way. Put them in the washer on a gentle cycle, then dry flat on a folded towel.

Woopsiedaisy Sun 06-Mar-16 09:22:10

I think the shoes / boots are really important.

You can look amazing but if you put on a tatty pair of shoes or boots the whole effect is wrecked.

Hopefully Sun 06-Mar-16 09:23:07

I tried converting to merino for ease of washing, but I have reverted to cashmere - it just looks and feels so much lovelier, to me. Saying that, I have a friend with a much neater style than me, and merino looks great on her, much smoother and sleeker than cashmere.

I think good hair is a great starting/finishing point for looking expensive - I have been a long time between haircuts (because my hairdresser has moved away and I'm too scared to try another one!) and I'm definitely noticing the extra effort i have to put in to looking good.

sirmione Sun 06-Mar-16 09:30:40

Agree re the haircut. Kiki Dee was on Ant and Dec's sat night thing last night. Her hair was v well cut and coloured and she was wearing classic blazer jeans combo. I thought she looked amazing and she is 69.
There are certain classic cuts, if you can find the one that best suits you then maybe it's worth insisting hairdresser gives you the original rather than their/the latest interpretation of that cut IYSWIM...

sirmione Sun 06-Mar-16 09:39:38

Forgot to say re the shoes thing. I once got chatting to a sales assistant in Selfridges. He told me that he could often spot a shoplifter, even if they were generally very well dressed - because they were wearing cheap shoes. He said his eye automatically went to the shoes and they were a dead giveaway.

MargotLovedTom Sun 06-Mar-16 09:39:49

I saw Kiki Dee last night -am gobsmacked that she is 69!

I know people often disagree but I think excess weight is a barrier to looking truly 'expensive'. I'm overweight and feel all busty, waddly and not in the least bit chic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now