Talk

Advanced search

BareSkin from BareMinerals - has anybody used it?

(21 Posts)
PacificDogwod Sat 05-Mar-16 12:15:23

I hate foundation with a passion, have never ever had one that I actually liked, so only put on for v rare special occasions. So, of course I am not very good at applying it either, don't like the feel or smell of it etc etc.
However, I would like something that is easy to apply and just evens out my skin tone a bit.
I've tried tinted moisturisers with little joy.
BareMinerals powder I found too messy and never got the hang of it, so could this be The Thing for me?

I'm just a bit rubbish with make-up beyond mascara and a bit of eye liner and am dithering between just not bothering (so far nobody has run away screaming at the sight of my visage grin) or having another go with this stuff. But it's not cheap…

Any experiences greatly appreciated thanks

expatinscotland Sat 05-Mar-16 12:24:39

I found it chalky. Have you tried a BB cream?

PacificDogwod Sat 05-Mar-16 16:49:42

Chalky, eh? Does not sound good.

No, I've not really tried any BB, CC or any other double-consonant cream grin
I am just not really that interested - maybe I should just leave it be. Dunno.

HermioneWeasley Sat 05-Mar-16 18:56:11

Is bareskin their liquid BB type cream? If so, I've used it and think it's ok, but haven't used any others to compare with

YourBubzYourRulzHun Sat 05-Mar-16 18:57:52

I recently bought Stila one step corrector, it's really good. So easy to put on too, just apply it like a moisturiser and it blends in easily and evens out your skin tone. I bought mine from Look Fantastic and think I got 15% off.

PacificDogwod Sat 05-Mar-16 19:02:32

This is their blurb - sounds good, but don't ads always?! hmm

Stila - thanks for the suggestion, Yourbubz.
I think the bottom line is that I don't experiment enough because I don't care enough, but then it does niggle and I start a fred like this blush

RoobyTuesday Sat 05-Mar-16 19:07:22

I've used it and agree it's quite chalky, I have normal skin and I don't think it's as great as some suggest. It's very very sheer coverage too for what it costs.

PacificDogwod Sat 05-Mar-16 19:12:53

Okay, I am getting the feeling you lot have saved me ££, so thanks.

I am almost 50s, have dry/dehydrated skin and not a lot of motivation.
Is there a miracle cream that will make me even more gorgeous than I am naturally already? grin

commonsenseplease Sat 05-Mar-16 19:26:38

The only Bareskin products I really like are these: www.bareminerals.co.uk/BB-Creams-Tinted-Moisturisers/BM_SUB_TINTED_MOISTURISER,en_GB,sc.html

I'm in my late forties and have very dry skin, apart from my t-zone, which is an oil slick. the Bareskin stuff uses a physical sunblock that doesn't sting if I get it near my eyes. My skin particularly likes it if it's having one of it's sensitive fits. If I could afford it, I'd use either of them on a daily basis.

Head for a counter and get some samples. Or take a look at QVC as they have some good value kits (as well as the individual products), and you can give them a good try for a few weeks due to their 30-day returns policy.

I was surprised at how good Garnier's BB goes on. My skin, but better. It's good stuff if you're on a budget.

I initially picked it up as a cheap TM with spf to wear on weekends, bt now find it's my go-to. I use the Sensitive spf 25 version.

commonsenseplease Sat 05-Mar-16 19:33:18

Just to add, invest in a BeautyBlender sponge (or a knockoff type - everyone from M&S to Real Techniques make them for about a quarter of the price of the original pink one).

Wet it, squeeze it, give it a quick roll in a face cloth so it's just about damp then bounce the rounded end over your face. It blends everything beautifully. No tide marks or brush strokes, just perfected skin. I've also used it dry with powders.

If you still have your BM powder, tap some into a moisturiser for a home-made TM. You can adjust the coverage with the amount of powder you use.

Carpaccio Sat 05-Mar-16 19:37:13

I had it and it was absolutely terrible.

It sat on top of the skin and looked really horrible. It looked cakey after half an hour, even when using a tiny amount (it mentions number of drops to use - I used one or two drops for the whole face and it still looked crap).

I love foundations and have used loads of different ones, but this one is the first I've binned because it was crap.

The brush is expensive and pointless - a Real Techniques Expert Face Brush does the job better.

I don't have the same skin type, but I'd suggest going around to different counters and asking for samples of foundations that will work for your skin type.

Laura Mercier's tinted moisturiser is good though - they have different versions for different skin types, and their other foundations are also pretty decent - and they are usually pretty good at giving out samples.
Chanel Aqualumiere and Mac Face and Body might work for you as well?
Guerlain's foundations cost a fortune but my mum has dry skin and loves them, so that might also be worth a look. The shade range is a bit limited IMO though.

I am currently using the Cover FX custom cover drops - it's a very pigmented liquid that you mix with a moisturiser or primer (or whatever you like) to make a foundation with as much coverage as you would like. I am quite impressed with it so far. I mix it with my moisturiser or a mattifying primer, but you could mix it with an illuminating primer or maybe even a face oil if you'd like.

Cuttysarky Sat 05-Mar-16 19:46:39

Bare minerals complexion rescue is amazing, the only face base type product I've ever been very impressed with, and for me it does exactly what you say you would like, evens out a bit, adds a lovely glow to my cheeks, bit of moisture, (I usually use a serum or tiny bit of other normal moisturiser on my very dry bits before applying), and doesn't look like there is any makeup on, great on its own or as a base for a bit of concealer and nose powder. Definitely recommend!

ontherightpath Sat 05-Mar-16 23:55:25

I use the bare minerals serum foundation and love it! I put it on over moisturiser & sun cream and it lasts all day. Definitely doesn't look chalky, infact its the best colour matched/most natural looking foundation I've ever used. My skin is normal to dry, I'm mid 40s.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 06-Mar-16 06:46:44

I think if it is looking chalky, you either have the wrong colour, or haven't blended enough. I think it's really good - gives enough coverage where you need it, and doesn't look like you are wearing foundation. I loathe the original BM stuff, which shows up every pore and wrinkle, but this is great!

MamehaSan Sun 06-Mar-16 09:02:52

I bought the BareSkin stuff a few weeks ago and am so disappointed in it. It seems a very odd combination of being very watery and yet impossible to blend at the same time. It sort of sits on the skin, with brush / finger marks where it's been applied. Eventually, like after an hour, it seems to be absorbed and the finish is better but in all honesty it's truely awful. I'm on the verge of throwing it away, it's that bad, but after reading the comments I might get a sponge to see if that applies it any better. I had high hopes for it as it was a really good colour match for my pasty skin.

I almost started a thread on this very topic to find out what I was doing wrong, but it seems like I'm not the only one who doesn't get on with it.

I've used Clinique Superbalanced before and that's not too heavy or perfumed., in fact I might go back to that if the BareSkin ends up in the bin!

RascarCapac Sun 06-Mar-16 09:08:11

I second the Complexion Rescue, it's very good.

B1rdinthebush Sun 06-Mar-16 09:58:44

I wasn't impressed with the Bare Skin at all. The colour wasn't a great match and I also found it quite chalky. Even with a good primer the finish was just a but crap.

However, I absolutely love the Tinted Hydrating Gel Cream as an every day alternative to foundation. The colour is great, it's super easy to blend and gives a lovely, even coverage. It really lifts my skin and looks very natural. Would highly recommend.

DontCareHowIWantItNow Sun 06-Mar-16 10:00:48

The only foundation I can use is bare minerals powder. Love it.

PacificDogwod Sun 06-Mar-16 10:22:25

Thank you, all, again smile

The BM power I could not get to grips with at all - it was probably the worst foundation I have ever tried.

I have found my local BM outlet and will venture to the shop when I get a chance, I think. I am not confident to get the colour match right on line and a sample would be nice to try before you buy. I'll see what they say.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 06-Mar-16 11:21:38

Ask them for a sample. I was given completely the wrong colour, first time round. I now have the perfect match, and it's great. No powderiness at all, but you do need to brush like mad to blend it in.

babyboyHarrison Sun 06-Mar-16 19:15:27

Carpaccio. Where do you buy the cover fx custom cover drops from they sound a great idea. I can find them online but no idea what colour to get so would want to try them in a store. Cheers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now