Talk

Advanced search

Marks and Spencer -spring range

(25 Posts)
Postchildrenpregranny Fri 04-Mar-16 16:34:35

Is it just me or does everyone think their new spring range is horrible ?This dressis £85 to boot
I could have taken more but didn't want to be arrested for industrial espionage ..

MizK Fri 04-Mar-16 16:38:29

That is WRETCHED.

I shudder to think what else could possibly lurk alongside it. (More pics?)

SaveSomeSpendSome Fri 04-Mar-16 16:38:43

That dress is horrible but you can get some nice things in there as well as some horrible stuff. The same in every shop.

Im currently wearing an m&s swing dress (i think its current season) and i ve bought another 2 swing dresses from there and wear them a lot.

VeryPunny Fri 04-Mar-16 16:40:36

I was actually thinking that there were some nice things! I bought a great white pleat front blouse ( fabric wasn't premium but the cut and style are perfect) and a lovely pair of linen wide legged trousers. Both from the Autograph collection.

Their 3 for 2 pants have some nice patters ATM.

The biggest win at the moment is their beauty collection. I love being able to get Stila and REN stuff, and the Autograph eye palette is lovely, as is the odd shaped makeup sponge.

SaveSomeSpendSome Fri 04-Mar-16 16:42:37

The food is very nice. The kids wear is good. Oh and the bedding is very good never bobbles etc.

ouryve Fri 04-Mar-16 16:42:44

Now, I normally balk at clothes that would make me look like a sofa, but that would make me look like a sofa with a throw on it!

Lovely idea on paper (and me colours, in general, so would attract my attention for the right reasons before I cringed at it), but the sort of flesh coloured squiggles are a bad, bad idea.

Postchildrenpregranny Fri 04-Mar-16 16:45:15

Yes agree the cosmetics etc are fine as are some of their 'staples' .
It's when they go off piste a bit ..
I'm not sure who this range of dresses is aimed at I (65) and my DDs (30 and 26) wouldnt be seen dead in them Weird shift shape,cheap looking lace and the oddest colours

Postchildrenpregranny Fri 04-Mar-16 16:47:31

There was a pale grey and orange too..And a sort of fake bolero and dress
Love their food but buy only as a treat

SaveSomeSpendSome Fri 04-Mar-16 16:50:55

The food is really expensive! Can easily spend £70 in there. Their meals for one the count on us range is very good.

In fact i buy too many of their ready meals.

ouryve Fri 04-Mar-16 16:51:32

You know, this is a lovely shape (not that I'd wear it on account of it being white and showing my upper arms) but you'd think that, if they were making a premium product with a price tag to match, they'd make it out of something other than viscose.
www.marksandspencer.com/v-neck-sleeveless-shell-top/p/p22439945?prevPage=plp

Postchildrenpregranny Fri 04-Mar-16 16:53:34

I'm probably older than most of the MN demographic which I guess averages at between 30 and 40 but I can't imagine who they think is going to buy this stuff .Will be in town on Mon and take some more pics ...and see if they are selling
I might post it on Gransnet ...
I thought lace was over too-not that it will stop me wearing my lovely red lace dress from Episode (put that in to show I'm not 'against'lace)

Postchildrenpregranny Fri 04-Mar-16 16:56:17

I'd expect silk for £69
Some stuff is fine-bought some great cut offs last summer-but some is just bizarre

niminypiminy Fri 04-Mar-16 17:30:46

Silk for £69? What world are you living in? Or don't you mind things made in death-traps by bonded labour?

Postchildrenpregranny Fri 04-Mar-16 21:35:04

My DD1 works in this field and I am very careful not to buy clothes produced in the world's sweatshops .(I dont actually buy many clothes any more )But it's a very simple garment
And M and S are supposed to be moving towards ethically produced clothes?

thecatfromjapan Fri 04-Mar-16 21:37:13

Silk isn't so expensive to make clothes out of. It's not the greatest fabric to wear, though. It can make you feel quite sweaty, even though it's a natural fabric. And it's clingy in the wrong places unless cut well.
Just my opinion, there.
Viscose is just annoying, however. It is unpleasant to work in and difficult to care for.

thecatfromjapan Fri 04-Mar-16 21:42:14

Just looked at that top. I would definitely expect something other than viscose for £69. Cos would be better fabric, better cut, more flattering and more wow for £69.
Uniqlo would give you a lot more for that price too.

Postchildrenpregranny Fri 04-Mar-16 21:43:02

Yes cotton might be better !

Postchildrenpregranny Fri 04-Mar-16 21:44:13

Thats part of the problem with M and S IMO
Not just naff designs but nasty man made fabrics too

thecatfromjapan Fri 04-Mar-16 21:44:52

I'm a lo older than 40, too.

I'll just add that dresses from Cos tend to have pockets. M and S dresses frequently don't have pockets. This really annoys me.

thecatfromjapan Fri 04-Mar-16 21:45:37

Yy postchildrenpregranny.

ouryve Fri 04-Mar-16 21:47:18

I used to have a sleeveless top from Laura Ashley in a silk jersey. It had a lovely drape and was a lot less sweaty than a woven fabric.

I've grown rather fond of linen in middle age. Definitely needs ironing, but it's so comfortable to wear in all weathers and washes really well. I have a op that I've had a couple of years, now, actually M&S (it's the pink one worn by one of the mothers in the opening credits of Millie In Between, though in a slightly bigger size!) and I'm contemplating re-dying it, as it's stil lin pristine condition, other than looking a little faded.

Bombaybunty Fri 04-Mar-16 21:48:47

I've had a £40 voucher since Christmas. Got so fed up with there being nothing I liked, I've eventually spent the money on pyjamas!

All horrible.

thecatfromjapan Fri 04-Mar-16 22:04:16

They have a long jersey coat in stock that is v understated and versatile. I liked it but it was the wrong colour for me and I have a rather gorgeous jersey coat (from Cos) already.

There are some lovely things in M And S but you have to go to the larger stores and hunt.

They are also sometimes a bit late to the game. The pussy-bow stuff they have, for example: I am far from stylish but even I have a lively Clemdnts Rebeiro pussy-bow dress, from TK Maxx, in a lovely pattern, fully lined, that I bought 2years ago.

thecatfromjapan Fri 04-Mar-16 22:05:17

But I do like M and S and wish it well.smile

MTWTFSS Sat 05-Mar-16 14:29:41

Bombaybunty Should have bought some food!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now