Talk

Advanced search

[Title edited by MNHQ] More insider dirt on beauty and fashion blogging

(633 Posts)
PitPatKitKat Thu 03-Mar-16 07:54:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HairsprayQueen Thu 03-Mar-16 08:08:26

I'm not sure if this was covered in the other thread but can I ask about the charity collaborations- am I right to assume these are paid for too?

I am seeing a few 'dechox' posts around at the moment, and there have been campaigns in the past and obviously know that certain charities have large advertisement/ media budgets.

Some of the terminology 'I'm teaming up with' etc made me wonder.

PitPatKitKat Thu 03-Mar-16 08:17:15

arahia Thu 03-Mar-16 08:18:55

HairsprayQueen
Yep. charities were covered in previous thread. See post from iamnina

iamnina Sun 07-Feb-16 11:53:36

Charities and cancer charities are big spenders on PR - it's how they get £££ because there is no product as such to 'buy' so charities have always been more ad driven and have been early adopters of social media and influencers from the off. Many charities have huge advertising and marketing spend - note how charities have always advertised heavily in tv with huge budgets for big agencies specs - these days it's to pay for influencers.

Charity briefs are often the bread and butter of Digital Media PRs. Don't be fooled that if it's for charity there is no money changing hands . We regularly receive charity briefs and create campaigns across our blogger platforms for business charities.

Lots of bloggers and their agencies pitch for sponsored work or 'consultancy fees' for charities. It's business for both parties and brings in excellent results for the client and payment for the blogger / influencer.

Because bloggers vloggers etc are relatable and pull at heartstrings and are using the 'girl next door' strategy it works extremely well for a charity cause - digital media results in charity campaigns are significantly better than traditional media hence why you will see many influencers flogging charity - mostly paid via consultancy fees and therefore not disclosed to the audience. CH could ;) be a case in point.

Floisme Thu 03-Mar-16 08:29:26

I'd like to know more about Gleam.

Who are they? Who's behind them? Are they part of a bigger setup that goes beyond beauty and fashion?

Needless to say their website is nothing but soundbites. Does anyone have any insights?

friendissues1 Thu 03-Mar-16 09:02:54

Please take the Caroline hirons reference out of the title. Doesn't seem fair. Just start 'volume 2?'

HairsprayQueen Thu 03-Mar-16 09:18:42

Thanks, sorry for repeating, got a bit forgetful as the other thread was so big!

One of the blogs was a weight loss/fitness blog that included 'I don't like catergorizing food into good or bad categories' (with regard to giving up chocolate) she might as well have added 'unless someone is paying me enough'.

PitPatKitKat Thu 03-Mar-16 09:34:21

scandichick Thu 03-Mar-16 09:40:54

Great new title, thank you! Came on to say yy to keeping CH, just to add more information about the thrust of the thread.

Friendissues1, I don't quite see why that's unfair? She's flogging a £245 serum to ordinary women for whom that may be their food budget for the month, and not disclosing how she's paid to promote it. If I hadn't read the first thread, I would perhaps have thought she received s free bottle, nothing else.

OttiliaVonBCup Thu 03-Mar-16 09:51:48

Someone on Instagram asked her how long she has been using the serum, she responded by asking the person who asked where she was based.
Bizarre.

Mrs9C Thu 03-Mar-16 10:02:36

What's not fair is exactly what they've said ^^

friendissues1 Thu 03-Mar-16 10:05:53

Oh stop being ridiculous - no I'm not friends with CH. I don't like her much but this thread is about much more than her.

Mrs9C Thu 03-Mar-16 10:12:40

Put Zoella's name on it - and the Daily Mail will publish it hmm (Not that I want anything personal against any of them, just the beauty blogger industry).

PitPatKitKat Thu 03-Mar-16 10:13:12

mrsvilliers Thu 03-Mar-16 10:19:09

Long time lurker first time poster here wink I came on to say that I'd also be interested in more info on Gleam. I did some research a while back for a guy who wanted to set up an influencer agency (similar to Gleam I guess) for influencers who had 50k plus followers on a SM channel. Basically ALL of the ones I could find were signed to Gleam (him having me do this manually is a whole other issue btw!) which got me think as to whether Gleam had actually set the whole thing up in the first place? All the bloggers on their books are so interconnected, partic the Tanya Burr/Jim Chapman/Pixiwoo crew.

I also have huge issues with people who have a healthy income taking payment for charitable work. If, for any reason, the charity has to pay a certain amount out then the blogger should just redonate. For me this is a bigger issue than non disclosure as the person puts themselves out there as a philanthropist yet is receiving payment.

Mrs9C Thu 03-Mar-16 10:24:09

Very likely that it is Gleam behind this all. Isn't that how Shaycarl made his millions, he set us that kind of company then sold it to Disney for a $$m

Have you noticed how the Gleam reps have to go everywhere with them, when they're abroad, when they met any company etc. Always there.

Mrs9C Thu 03-Mar-16 10:24:28

And profiting from charity is wrong on so many levels.

PitPatKitKat Thu 03-Mar-16 10:38:48

mrsvilliers Thu 03-Mar-16 12:02:21

I might look that research out later, I'm pretty sure that they couldn't all have been Gleam, but I remember it causing me some problems as he didn't want people who had current management.

ihatethecold Thu 03-Mar-16 12:29:01

great new thread. I'm so interested in all this.

I've become so suspicious of it all, which will help my bank balance anyway grin

ksb76 Thu 03-Mar-16 12:54:44

I'm pretty sure that signing with Gleam was when things changed with all the blogs that I used to read - suddenly CH was having afternoon tea with other Gleamers!? Which considering they are half her age always struck me as odd, and then she and AMR were convinced to do more and more stuff together. It went from being her cheat sheets and product stuff (which I am still massively suspicious of) to cross promotion, hard sell of everything possible etc.
I notice that Sam Bunting has been shelved as she basically told everyone to keep it simple - use french pharmacy! Short collaboration!

RainbowBlue Thu 03-Mar-16 13:07:06

This thread has made me so cynical I am rethinking a few things:

-My skin has vastly improved due to CH’s recommendations for a consistent routine so credit to her for that;
-She warned me and many others off Liz Earle due to them selling out to Avon, change in formulation etc - I’m now wondering if there was an axe to grind and she just fell out with them having worked for them in the past hmm;
-Acid toning – hmmm – is too harsh for some skins and whilst it gives you an initial glow – in the long term doesn’t it just dry out your skin meaning you need more products in the form of oils, serums and creams to replace the moisture lost through acid toning.
-Also, many beauty bloggers are anti-scrubs for exfoliating the face – could it be because liquid acid toners and peel pads etc finish faster than a tube of scrub used say once a week – and therefore make the brands more money?
Ooooh I’ve come over all cynical! confused

Lottapianos Thu 03-Mar-16 13:12:34

Sali Hughes has been raving about the new Guerlain foundation for the past couple of months - and I do mean raving. She's been 'over the moon with it' and its her favourite foundation in the past decade. She's mentioned it quite a bit on Instagram.

Now she and I have the same skin type and I have followed some of her recommendations in the past, but I just cannot bring myself to part with £55 jesus for a product which may or may not be getting an honest review from her. So I'm erring on the side of caution and sticking with Rimmel for now, which I'm very happy with to be honest. Maybe you can't miss what you've never known!

OttiliaVonBCup Thu 03-Mar-16 13:16:16

I once put Bourjois Healthy mix serum on one side of my face and Nars Somthing Glow foundation on the other.

No difference.

bigbuttons Thu 03-Mar-16 13:20:16

acid toning works very well for my skin. It is less dry since acid toning, I think because my face isn't clogged up with crap and over producing oil but producing the right amount.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now