Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone use suncream on a sunbed??

(39 Posts)
fudge747 Wed 02-Mar-16 13:45:13

Sorry folks I've got a really silly question but I am trying to get a base tan before my hols, and my second session at the sunbed place left me pink around my tummy and chest. The rest of me is fine. I don't want this to happen again, so I wondered, does suncream work on sunbeds in the same way as it does in the sun? I though I could use it to protect those more sensitive areas? I won't be wearing a bikini on hols anyway, it's my legs and arms that need a little colour! Or should I just wear a vest??
Please don't judge me for wanting a tan, it's my one weakness!

burnishedsilver Wed 02-Mar-16 14:11:50

Your one weekness is as dangerous as smoking.

Indecisivejo Wed 02-Mar-16 14:39:42

No, sun cream will not protect u from the sunbed I'm afraid. Get a spray tan done for ur hols and save the sun cream for when ur out there in the real sun. Have a lovely time.

Notfootball Wed 02-Mar-16 16:51:28

I'm gobsmacked that anyone still uses a sunbed. If you need a "base tan" before you go on holiday, why don't you try a light spray tan or one of those summer lotions? Sunbeds are deadly.

LadyPriggsbottom Wed 02-Mar-16 16:53:31

Agree with above - there are really good spray tans available these days. Going on a sunbed seems an awful lot to put your skin through for the sake of a tan which will fade pretty quickly anyway. If you want your skin to look good for hols I'd probably spend the time you would on a sunbed doing something else for your skin like exfoliating, moisturising or doing some toning exercises maybe. Then get a quick spray tan just before - they take no time.

ThomasSofty Wed 02-Mar-16 17:12:42

Please keep an eye on your skin, and get any suspicious marks, moles etc checked out. Why would you do something so dangerous? Skin cancer is not a joke!

amazonianwoman Wed 02-Mar-16 17:21:30

I'll be judgemental! I've had malignant melanoma (and had about 6 sunbed sessions in my whole life). I now have a huge scar on my leg. Three friends have/had malignant melanoma. One died aged 34, one died in early fifties, third one the cancer has spread.

Drinksforeveryone Wed 02-Mar-16 17:48:57

I used to cane the sunbeds (and sunshine) when I was younger. Now in my late 40 s and have terrible sun damage.

If you really feel the need to sunbed tan then keep it to a minimum and yes, wear a vest to protect the bits that will burn.

But I would recommend staying away and just do a bit of fake tan instead.

It's just not worth it.

fudge747 Wed 02-Mar-16 17:57:29

Thanks folks for those replies. Am aware of risks but am going to be away for five weeks in a very hot country, so just need to prepare my skin for the difference between here and there. Am not going to hammer the sunbeds here or there as well be there with kids -no real chance to sunbathe!!
My main question was whether the uv from sunbeds is the same as the real sun. I'm only going to go on a few times.

HappinessLivesHere Wed 02-Mar-16 18:01:49

You don't need to 'prepare your skin' by risking getting cancer!! Apply a high factor suncream regularly, cover up in light loose clothing, sun hat & decent sunnies (as in ones that protect!!). Tan isn't worth dying for!!!!!!!!!!!

ThomasSofty Wed 02-Mar-16 18:03:02

This is ridiculous.

MrsBertMacklin Wed 02-Mar-16 18:12:12

Prepare your skin for cancer, you mean?

I can't believe there are still people who believe in base tans. For goodness sake, read this & stop being so silly www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/skin-cancer-facts/myths-vs-facts

hollieberrie Wed 02-Mar-16 18:12:57

I always do a few sunbeds in may / june time to give me a little bit of colour for the start of summer. I use cream on any bits likely to burn and i only do 5-7 mins at a time. Did you do much longer than that? Maybe layer on some higher factor and keep the sessions short.

I enjoy them and it makes me feel good. My mum did all the right things, never drank, smoked or sunbathed, exercised, ate healthy all that and she just dropped dead at 60. Since then i dont really worry about these things. If i want to do a sunbed, have a fag etc then i will.

MrsBertMacklin Wed 02-Mar-16 18:13:42

another source for reading and hopefully, a wake up call.

UsernamesAreAPainInTheBalls Wed 02-Mar-16 18:15:06

I don't know why everyone is giving the op such a hard time I'm sure she's well aware of the dangers of sunbeds it's no secret. Do you all judge every single smoker you meet the same way? At least doing a sunbed you look better with a tan, smoking has literally no redeeming qualities so to speak confused
Op the sunbed mimics the rays of the sun but obviously much more intensely which is why you only go on for say 5 mins, a sunscreen would work I'm sure but please wait until any pinkness is gone before you go on again and maybe reduce your time by a minute or two if you felt like you burned a bit last time
I get the wanting a base tan thing I do the same it means I can go in the sun and not constantly worry about being burned (I use a high spf too but obviously jumping in and out of the pool etc it's not always effective)

Doobigetta Wed 02-Mar-16 19:09:10

Government advice is that you shouldn't have more than 20 sunbed sessions in a year. If the OP is having half a dozen before she goes away she isn't going anywhere near that safe limit, so some of these responses are over-reacting.
To answer your question though, OP, I think others are correct that normal sunscreen won't work- you just need to spend less time on it next time. The sessions are really short on modern beds- 4 or 5 minutes is plenty.

fudge747 Wed 02-Mar-16 19:10:15

Thanks hollieberrie and usernames yes I'll wait till pink has gone and only do very short visits from now on. Sorry everyone else that you think I'm flying into the face of danger here but really, I know the risks andI'm honestly not aiming for anything but a little bit of colour .. Thanks for your (rather aggressive )) concern !

LadyPriggsbottom Wed 02-Mar-16 20:24:56

Fair enough OP! And there was certainly no aggression intended from me. smile

fudge747 Wed 02-Mar-16 21:04:36

Thanks lady, yes your advice was sound -I will indeed do a bit of exfoliating and toning -blue the dust off the rowing machine!
Thankfully as I am naturally 'sallow', once I get a bit of colour it won't fade till the winter comes.
100 reps here I come!!!

RoobyTuesday Wed 02-Mar-16 21:42:57

Any change in colour is an indication that your skin has been sun damaged. I am only in my 30's, have never been near a sunbed, have had very few foreign holidays and have always been super careful in the sun. I'm not even particularly fair skinned but last year had to have an early melanoma removed. Please be careful. I appreciate some have been aggressively concerned but that's only because UV damage is very real and happens a lot more commonly than you might think - once you've had a scare you will feel very passionately about it believe me! It honestly isn't worth the risk surely? Sorry if this comes across as preachy but I really would hate anyone to go through the scare and worry of a diagnosis of skin cancer if they can do anything to prevent it.

SavoyCabbage Wed 02-Mar-16 21:56:40

I can't believe that there are still sun beds.

You don't protect yourself from getting burnt in a hot country by getting a suntan if that's what you are thinking. That's not a thing.

amazonianwoman Wed 02-Mar-16 21:59:43

Yes ditto, didn't mean to come across as aggressive either, but the first two questions I was asked by the dermatologist was have you ever had sunburn and have you ever used a sunbed?

paulapantsdown Wed 02-Mar-16 22:59:29

The thing with spray tans is that they go patchy and horrible the first day of your holiday when you get in the pool/sea.

Go ahead and have your sunbeds OP and don't mind the others being killjoys! Yeah I have friends who have had operations for melanomas who spent their 20's sunbathing, and also friends who have lived on organic vegetables while wearing hats in the sun who are dying from terminal breast cancer.

Life is short and full of risks. Have a bloody sunbed if it makes you feel good. This thread has made me want to have one this weekend!

PurpleDaisies Wed 02-Mar-16 23:05:32

Please don't judge me for wanting a tan, it's my one weakness!

My friend died of melanoma two days before Christmas aged 30. I'm currently waiting to have a suspicious mole removed.

I do not understand why you would deliberately want to increase your risk of skin cancer.

QOD Wed 02-Mar-16 23:14:06

Last time. I used a sun bed, they sold little.sachets of stuff specifically for using before. Bit expensive but high protection

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now