Talk

Advanced search

anyone have a Louis Vuitton shawl?

(20 Posts)
WellTidy Wed 02-Mar-16 11:46:23

I saw someone in my local shopping centre wearing this yesterday (its a monogrammed shimmer stole in a creamy beige, if the link doesn't work), and I coveted it. I own nothing else that is designer though, and it actually took me by surprise just how much I really really wanted one of these!

Its £380. Gawd. If you have one, or something similar, do you think it is worth it?

HolgerDanske Wed 02-Mar-16 11:54:42

I think if one has it one would have to think it's worth it, otherwise one wouldn't have bought it smile

I always make sure to examine whether it was really the piece I coveted or whether it might have been something about the wearer that I found irresistibly covetable. If it's the piece itself then yes, I'd say it's worth it, if you can afford it. I'd rather have a few really gorgeous things that I absolutely love than loads of things that are just meh.

I'm looking to get a Saint Laurent scarf that I love for a similar price (actually a bit more), and I will wear it and when I do I will feel fab and it will be worth it for me. Not because the scarf itself is necessarily worth that price - of course it isn't, objectively - but for the lift I will feel every time I wear it.

WellTidy Wed 02-Mar-16 12:49:45

Nicely put, Holger. I think I will sit on my hands for a while, and if I then still want it, I will buy it. I definitely admired the wearer of the shawl. She had it wrapped very arfully around her, carrying a bag in the crook of her arm, and was browsing. I had a raincoat on, was pushing a pushchair, desperately trying to remember what was on my list of things to buy in M&S Foodhall after I'd returned the pyjamas that made me look like a two tonne tessie.

MayfairMummy Wed 02-Mar-16 13:11:08

WellTidy, I have that shawl in a different colour (several seasons old). It was a gift. It is a very flattering, versatile, quality item. I love it when i wear it; it gives me a lift, it makes me feel like i'm being a proper adult and not the person pushing an overflowing buggy around M&S while wearing my dodgy walking shoes, my mummy coat (which doubles as a rainjacket for wet school run days), and my jeans are sagging around my arse because i don't have time to shop properly for new ones and the only ones i know fit are expensive and i can't warrant paying that for myself.

I should point out that although I took my moniker when i moved to mayfair, I am certainly NOT the typical mayfair mummy.

Would I have spent £380 on it, though? No :-( I would be too worried that baby would vomit on it, it would get nicked while it was hanging on the buggy and was chasing a running toddler down an aisle... etc etc. It only comes out for date nights... and I prefer to have something i can love and use every single day.

Having said that, for my 40th, i bought myself a paul smith scarf which was a lot more than i would ever consider paying for a scarf normally (about £150), but it poshes up my mummy coat (and other things), and goes everywhere with me when it is scarf weather. I love it. I have also gotten somewhat stressed on half a dozen occasions when i thought i'd lost it, but almost 4 years on it is still in use and still loved ... far better than any other scarf i've ever bought. If the shawl does it for you, and you would use it regularly, not just put it in the cupboard, and it does not impact your life in other negative ways (like making rent day difficult) I'd say it is worth it.... it is quite timeless.

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 02-Mar-16 13:54:23

No - look at the fabric composition - viscose and polyester! They also snag dreadfully.

DameXanaduBramble Wed 02-Mar-16 13:56:04

My sister has the cream one, it's very lovely indeed.

cressetmama Wed 02-Mar-16 14:12:47

I have a fake LV shawl! Which I was given, and love. Nobody has ever noticed that it's supposed to be posh though, and I hope the real ones wear better.

Larastheme Wed 02-Mar-16 14:23:44

I have, they are my second one, the first I lost , and as I loved it so much <and I did try to find another alternative> went and bought a second one,
But I have the wool and silk composition, which is perfect for all year round,

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 02-Mar-16 14:26:05

Yes, you have to check the fabric - I think they've recently tried to sneak in cheaper fabrics.

WellTidy Wed 02-Mar-16 14:39:54

I take your comments on board! This has a better composition, but the colour isn't doing anything for me.

TimeToMuskUp Wed 02-Mar-16 17:50:31

I have one in steel grey. It's beautiful, I love it and it's something I'll keep forever til I'm 80 and drape across my knees in the old folks home.

However my DCs have no respect for anything lovely and DS2 once sneezed broccoli onto it and I almost cried. So John Lewis and Boden scarves are worn much more frequently til I can trust he won't do that again. In roughly 47 years or so.

Patapouf Thu 03-Mar-16 17:01:29

I have the charcoal one 60% wool/ 40% silk and I love it. It's in major need of a dry clean though and I often see people with the lighter coloured ones that look very ratty and bobbly (mine doesn't and I've had it since 2012)

ProjectPerfect Thu 03-Mar-16 17:10:58

I've been thinking about buying one of the wool and silk ones for a while now - going to pick one up next time I travel if I see a charcoal/navy denim one

nilbyname Thu 03-Mar-16 17:16:01

patappuf can you link?

Patapouf Thu 03-Mar-16 17:18:16

Silk/wool other way round! And FWIW mine was a gift, although I am such a spendthrift I'd happily spend that much on a special treat for myself.

Patapouf Thu 03-Mar-16 17:19:09

uk.louisvuitton.com/eng-gb/products/monogram-shawl-001054#M74752 nilby

Patapouf Thu 03-Mar-16 17:20:25

It doesn't look that shiny IRL but it is very pretty and delicate but warm. I usually wear it as a scarf rather than a shawl IYSWIM

Allice Thu 03-Mar-16 17:25:43

I have a Stephen Sprouse for LV scarf, it must be a good 6 years old and it's been used a lot and TA still beautiful, can't remember how much I paid, rib ably a good £200 or so but in terms of cost per wear it's been well worth it.

Personally, I'd never buy a fake bag or purse butt might well try a fake scarf!

Allice Thu 03-Mar-16 17:54:30

Goodness look at that! Really must proof read!

theclick Thu 03-Mar-16 18:25:07

I liked the Stephen sprouse ones because they were so original. They just really pepped up any outfit!

Well tidy - erm, how can I put this - could you potentially...find a, er, "inspired" design? Most of the satisfaction without the guilt. (Don't kill me for suggesting this)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now