Talk

Advanced search

Is this jacket frumpy?

(36 Posts)
TwentyOneGuns Tue 01-Mar-16 21:11:36

I really like it - it's comfy, goes with loads and is, I think flattering, but my well-meaning teen DD says it looks like a 'Mums' coat'. I normally agree with her about things which have a tendency to look frumpy but I really don't think this is. Any opinions?

0dfod Tue 01-Mar-16 21:21:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bojorojo Tue 01-Mar-16 21:42:34

It is fine. Looks like it will stand up against the elements. Fine with a casual look but don't wear in town or on a special night out. That would be frumpy! Fur hooded parkas are still fashionable if you want to please your DD!

TwentyOneGuns Wed 02-Mar-16 06:37:40

Thanks, I've had one of those throughout the winter ans she seemed to approve! Good point about not wearing 'out'.

0dfod that's exactly the sort of thing I wear so should hopefully look Ozk. I've just bought these boots which I think will go well with it.

Nettletheelf Wed 02-Mar-16 06:46:05

I think it is a bit frumpy. Sorry OP!

WipsGlitter Wed 02-Mar-16 07:09:56

It's a bit "sensible" and I don't like the zips on the chest.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Wed 02-Mar-16 07:12:56

I like the jacket but I'd go for a chunkier boot.

DameXanaduBramble Wed 02-Mar-16 07:13:44

I think your dd is right. Especially with the boots

TwentyOneGuns Wed 02-Mar-16 07:29:47

Oh blimey, I thought the boots were nice, haven't bought anything in Topshop for years. I also thought the zips made the jacket look a bit cool and bikerish instead of frumpy.

Guess I'd better rethink then sad

UnDeuxTroisCatsSank Wed 02-Mar-16 08:49:59

Not keen on the coat, looks a bit anorak-ish to me.
And the boots are the very definition of "mum boots".

Sorry!

bigfatfeet Wed 02-Mar-16 09:55:21

Well I like the coat and I am neither frumpy (hopefully) nor a mum (definitely).

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Wed 02-Mar-16 10:44:51

IMO. Yes. Sorry, but it is only opinion though obviously not fact, so if you like it and it's practical the buy it.

Error404usernamenotfound Wed 02-Mar-16 10:49:49

I like the coat, as long as it's only worn for casual wear. It's practical, and sometimes practical is good! Is it as fitted as it looks in the photo? I agree with odfod re what to wear it with.

The boots are mum boots though, sorry.

Mrs9C Wed 02-Mar-16 10:54:01

It's not at all frumpy IMO. I'm 33 and not frumpy!

Paddingtonthebear Wed 02-Mar-16 10:57:19

Coat is ok with the right clothes! Boots are a bit dull/work like.

You don't sound frumpy. If you like them then go for it!

You are a mum though. Your teenage DD is pretty likely not to like anything you like on account of you being 1) considerably older than her and 2) her mum! I doubt she would approve if you went and bought the same coat and boots as her either.

TwentyOneGuns Wed 02-Mar-16 17:56:09

I'm so glad I don't sound frumpy, I feel it now! I really didn't think the boots were 'Mum Boots' - you can't see from the pic but they've got a pointy toe and zip detail, not like the ones I used to wear in the 90s! I've seen several bloggers my age wearing them or similar ones so I was hoping they were actually quite fashionable.

The coat is quite fitted (there's a drawstring inside so you can pull the waist in) and I think it would go with a lot of what I wear - sweatshirts, skinnies, Converse etc. Maybe it and the boots together is a no-no though.

It's so hard being a 40 something Mum with a teen DD - we actually have a fairly similar style and I often like the same things she does but she looks better in them than me! I don't want to start dressing like my own Mum yet but I struggle with finding things that are age-appropriate and still feel like 'me'.

Onlytimewilltell Wed 02-Mar-16 18:22:53

I really like the jacket x

Not frumpy. Nor are the boots. Unless you wear with too short saggy jeans and a wolf fleece.

CointreauVersial Wed 02-Mar-16 20:31:17

The coat is fine for casual wear - not cutting edge, but nothing wrong with it.

The boots are fine too. If they are sold in Top Shop you can be pretty sure they're fashionable.

As with everything, it's how you style it. Wear with too-short bootcuts and a fleece = frumpy.

hmcAsWas Wed 02-Mar-16 20:32:59

I like the coat lots

hmcAsWas Wed 02-Mar-16 20:33:29

(I may order one too)

TwentyOneGuns Wed 02-Mar-16 21:20:35

That's what I thought about Topshop! Definitely not planning any wolf fleeces so fingers crossed I'll be OK and won't get accosted by the Fashion Police grin.

Doobigetta Wed 02-Mar-16 22:35:30

I like the jacket, but the boots are mumsy, sorry.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 02-Mar-16 22:38:54

Coat fine for practical wear and not frumpy.
Boots, no, just no, proper Mum boot.

IWantToLiveInPawnee Wed 02-Mar-16 22:41:01

I've seen these boots in the flesh, they're not mum boots.

I can't see the coat properly on the app but it looks nice enough to me.

I'm thinking that if you had a frumpy hairstyle (whatever that is?) a frumpy blouse, poorly fitted/straight cut jeans, that are too short and makeup, a la 1980's, then it possibly would look frumpy.......

What I'm saying is, if you wear with a sweater and nice fitting/skinny jeans, then you'll look perfectly good and definitely NOT frumpy.

I get your hesitation, on one hand, you don't want to look out-dated but you also don't want to dress the same as your teen daughter. It's hard to say what's right for your age but if you feel comfortable then you're bound to look good.

Hope this helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now