Oscar dresses 2016

(87 Posts)
SpeakerOfTheHouse Mon 29-Feb-16 10:40:50

Here they are....oscar dresses

Not loving Kate Blanchetts Armarni - looks like a swim hat.
Again, not sure about Alicia Vikander's yellow Louis Vuitton - looks half made..
LOVE Brie Larsons Gucci & Charlize Theron's Dior. Sorry Kate Winslet, not loving the shiny Ralph Lauren - too harsh and not flattering. Heidi Klum what were you thinking in that Marchesa chiffon explosion - just no. Kinda liked Gaga for once, Margot Robbie in Tom Ford looks fabulous, Chrissy Teigen wearing Marchesa with baby bump looked epic, Loved Olivia Munn in Stella McCartney, fab colour and silhouette.

Best - Charlize Theron in red Dior
Worst - Heidi Klum in Marchesa chiffon explosion

Alot of Meh though imo...

TheHighPriestessOfTinsel Mon 29-Feb-16 10:44:48

wasn't sure about Charlize TBH - think I'm too old to approve of all that cleavage to the naval business
think Alicia Vikander's mum looked great - better than her daughter
loved Naomi Watts

TheHighPriestessOfTinsel Mon 29-Feb-16 10:45:51

and yy to Olivia Munn - great cut, great colour

BritabroadinAsia Mon 29-Feb-16 11:08:24

Olivia Mann my favourite. Simple design, stunning colour - just gorgeous.

Charlize's dress way too low cut, IMO. And Kate Winslet's dress didn't photograph well - I wonder if it was better in the flesh?

Very few I really liked like this year, but yy to Margot Robbie.
I thought Patricia Arquette looked great too.

I think I liked Jennifer Lawrence's lace number, couldn't see clearly if the bodice was lined?!

squoosh Mon 29-Feb-16 11:10:33

My favourites are Saoirse Ronan, Naomi Watts, Olivia Munn

squoosh Mon 29-Feb-16 11:14:01

But yes way too much tit on the display in general. I thought Charlize Theron's dress was awful. That slashed to the naval thing is so Geri Halliwell circa 2001. It just looks cheap.

Margot Robbie would have made my best dressed list list if the neckline was a smidge higher.

squoosh Mon 29-Feb-16 11:14:50

And I normally love Diane Kruger but no, no, NO Diane. What were you thinking?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 29-Feb-16 11:18:45

Saoirse Ronan in that green Calvin Klein dress - wow.
Naomi Watts in purple and blue, hair very simple, dazzling.
Loved the colour of Brie Larson's gown (but not convinced by that thing round her waist?).
Jennifer Lawrence carried off that black lace Dior beautifully.
Not so impressed by Rooney Mara's choice, looks like the cat got at it below the waist and the sleeve length was wrong, shame.
I thought Alicia Vikander's dress made a change from the rest but wish she'd done something else with her hair. Just read she changed into a more predictable long black dress with sequins for the Vanity Fair party later.

Quite a bit of fuss over Kate Winslet's glasses - Ooh, stars wear specs not just contact lenses, just like us! - so refreshing, so what if they sat slightly wonky.

SpeakerOfTheHouse Mon 29-Feb-16 11:18:49

I missed that Diane Kruger dress - really unflattering, makes her look almost manly!hmm

I think I have a girl crush on Charlize tbh - I thought she (and only she) got away with that plunge of neckline with the rock of a mammoth diamond floating within.... (maybe it was the diamond that swayed me..grin)

whitershadeofpale Mon 29-Feb-16 11:58:24

I think I'm in a minority as I quite liked Cate Blancett's; the colour was beautiful on her but the appliqué should have stopped at the waist.

I thought Charlize's looked a bit cheap, as did Kate Winslet's (although I usually love what they wear).

My favourite was Margot Robbie (I thought she'd put a little bit of weight on but looked great) or Diane Krugar's.

I can't be alone in wondering why Heidi Klum seems to be invited every year?

I agree Alicia Vikander's mum looked amazing.

I think Saoirse Ronan looked a little incomplete, a necklace or bangle would have finished the look nicely.

MissTessmacher Mon 29-Feb-16 12:07:41

It was all a bit of a snoozefest re: dresses wasn't it?

I can't bear Marchesa so hated Heidi Klum, Chrissy Teigen and Sofia Vergara (strapless, tits out + huge skirt yet again).

Also disliked Cate Blanchett (from the neck up she was perfection but the dress was awful), Alicia Vikander, Brie Larson and Charlize (she is an utter goddess though). I thought Kate Winslet's face and hair looked great but the dress was beyond unflattering.

Loved Saiorse Ronan's, Margot Robbie and Naomi Watts. I'm a sucker for a good shimmery dress that moves well. Olivia Munn looked great but her attempt to be funny when presenting was cringeworthy.

Chris Rock was fantastic and I'm delighted that Mad Max got so much recognition. Best film of 2015.

WipsGlitter Mon 29-Feb-16 12:08:41

Loved Brie Larson - amazing belt and I like the Alicia Vikaner - i think it suits her.
Don't like Kate Winslet's fabric, but love her hair.
Saoirse Ronan looks very glam - not sure about the dress.
Jennifer Lawrence - beautiful but don't like the dress
Rachel McAdams - terrible, looks really cheap!
Heidi Klum - what were you thinking?!?!
Reese Witherspoon - meh
Kate Capshaw - that is a bold statement you are making with that fringe!

Sarah Silverman - lovely

squoosh Mon 29-Feb-16 12:11:35

I agree that it was a pretty boring year for the frocks overall.

NotJanine Mon 29-Feb-16 12:14:56

Kate Winslet's dress looks bizarre and very unflattering - I haven't seen any video of her in it, maybe it just didn't photograph well

I liked Isla Fisher's dress - nothing fancy but very pretty

RosyCat Mon 29-Feb-16 12:15:01

Every time I see photos from the Oscars or similar now I think "God, fashion is really missing Lee McQueen". It's so boring now.

SpeakerOfTheHouse Mon 29-Feb-16 12:20:28

Agree on McQueen RosyCat, nothing was WOW last night, all a bit pants tbh..

ISpeakJive Mon 29-Feb-16 12:24:05

Didn't like the dresses at all this year. Nothing jumped out at all.

I did like Naomi Watts dress and I actually liked Lady Gaga's outfit too (never thought I'd hear myself say that)

slug Mon 29-Feb-16 12:25:08

I rather liked Amy Poehler's dress. She, at least, looked comfortable.

cathpip Mon 29-Feb-16 12:44:11

Olivia Munn, Taylor Swift, Lily Donaldson and Jennifer Garner I thought looked fabulous, the dresses were stunning. All the rest I wasn't that keen on.

jasmine1979 Mon 29-Feb-16 12:50:02

Cate Blanchette - looked beautiful from the front. Fantastic colour on her. From the side though the dress looked badly made and didn't seem to fit too well.

Kate winslet. I liked the shape on her, but overall it was a bit of a shiny mess. I thought her hair wasn't quite right either. It looked a bit greasy on top or something? Every side on view I've seen of her has been really unflattering.

Alicia Vikander - I think she's a beautiful girl, but this dress did nothing for her. It was just meh.

Brie Larson - I loved the colour on her. I actually also liked the waist belt. The part of her dress that crosses over on her chest makes my eyes go funny though. It's made every photo of her from the front look distorted. smile

Jennifer Lawrence - I liked this a lot, but it also felt very safe. The bottom half of the dress would have looked better with an underskirt or something maybe?

Charlize theron - I thought this looked awful. The dress looked cheap both in design and fabric. Such a waste as she has the kind of figure that would look amazing in so many other designs.

Daisy Ridley - I loved this. Very classy. It looked like it was maybe too old for her though. I also thought that she was badly let down with her hair and make-up. She actually looked more beautiful in sweaty casual gear in Star Wars!

Rachel McAdams - Loved the green colour, but hated the dress. Another one that just looked overall cheap in fabric and design. It didn't fit her well at all.

Rooney Mara - I loved this one funnily enough. I think she pulled it off well, but the shoes did let it down slightly.

Naomi Watts - Loved this one as well. The colours were just gorgeous. It was nice to see someone looking healthy and not totally washed out.

Heidi Klum- A tacky mess. This must have been a dare?

Charlotte rampling. The overall look here was just really harsh. I didn't like it at all.

Olivia Wilde - Hated it. Another tacky mess. What was she thinking?

Margot Robbie - Looked like she came dressed as an actual Oscar. I liked it, but wish she'd done more with her hair.

Emily Blunt - not great. Looked like the kind of cheap prom dress you pick up at tk maxx.

Sofia Vergara - It was beautiful, but again maybe too much cleavage?

Jennifer Garner - I thought she looked the best I've seen her look for a long time. It was a very safe choice, but she looked stunning. Ben should be kicking himself.

Reese Witherspoon - Tina Fey wore a far better version of her purple dress in my opinon. Reese's looked overly fussy and badly fitted in comparison. Very quality street.

Pharrell Williams - Looked ridiculous! smile So did Mark Ruffalo really but he carried it off so much better I think.

Thandie newton - not keen on her nightwear as a dress look, but loved that she's let her hair do it's natural thing.

Lily Collins - Dress didn't fit her. Just looked way too big on her small frame.

Elizabeth Banks - I loved the white caped jumpsuit. This looked beautiful. Some of the pictures I've seen of this really made me do a double take it looked so good.

Overall, I think there weren't many "wow" dresses this year. There were a lot of people wearing dresses that looked like they were badly fitted, and also not made from good material.I feel like very few people got the complete head to toe look right. There were lots of bits I liked, but would alter nearly all the looks in some way. So many looked like they had just pulled on a dress and not bothered about the hair, make-up or jewellery.
I can't believe I've just put so much thought into this! smile

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Mon 29-Feb-16 12:53:44

Daisy Ridley shock when did THAT look come back into vogue? She looks like the mother of the bride at a 1990 nuptials.

LadyPriggsbottom Mon 29-Feb-16 12:53:59

A lot of meh indeed and YY way too much boob on show for my tastes.

Of the ones I've looked through;

Worst: for me it's a toss up between Olivia Wilde and Heidi Klum

Best: Jennifer Lawrence or Naomi Watts IMHO

specialsubject Mon 29-Feb-16 12:56:55

oh dear, Hollywood bedroom lightbulbs gone again...did no-one check a mirror?

Kate Winslet's dress puts about two stone on her. Daisy Ridley dressed like an old lady, except one that says 'no, that's far too old for me'. Charlize Theron's dress pulls her tits down towards her knees, not a good look. Ditto Olivia Wilde.

Heidi Klum - laughing stock, the half that is there is hideous and the half that isn't needs more sellotape. Lily Cole -get the iron out, love. Pharrel Williams looking even more ridiculous than normal.

who looks good? Naomi Watts, actually suiting strapless. Margot Robbie (who?) showing plunge can look good, helped by a smile rather than a fish pout.

I see that the boycott was quite effective.

GladysKravitz Mon 29-Feb-16 12:59:21

I LOVE Amy Poehler's dress. I can't stand the super-low-cut cleavage dresses that seem so popular, the women wearing them must feel so ill at ease and have to keep checking that nothing's popped out.

GnocchiGnocchiWhosThere Mon 29-Feb-16 13:01:55

I know Kate Winslet's dress is silk, but I can't stop myself thinking it's made of rubber.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now