Talk

Advanced search

home hair dyes for auburn hair?

(11 Posts)
Monroe Sun 28-Feb-16 21:47:10

My natural hair colour is auburn. I have been going grey for many years and have tried many different home hair dyes in that time. I had finally found the ideal colour, L'Oréal Sardinia, and they have discontinued it! It is out of stock everywhere so it looks like I'm in need of a new favourite.

My hair grows very quickly and my roots are almost white so it's extremely hard to find a colour to match my roots to my natural hair. (And I can't afford to go to the hairdressers every 4-6 weeks)

I don't want vivid red or bright copper or mahogany, just a natural auburn colour but it seems impossible to find. Can anyone recommend anything please?

LurkonTAthread Sun 28-Feb-16 21:50:22

I struggle with this too. I was using Perfect 10 Light auburn (always hard to get, had to order), but it seemed to orangey recently. I've used an Olia one, which I've forgotten name of but I think had auburn in title. Last week used Olia, Mahogany, but it's too red/purplish. So I will watch with interest!

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 28-Feb-16 21:54:29

I had this problem and have been blonde as a result for last few years!!! My Husband keeps asking for my auburn locks back, so watching with interest !!!

Monroe Sun 28-Feb-16 22:00:31

It's really difficult. I have tried lots of clairol ones but they tend to turn my roots either bright pink or orange.

I also used to use the perfect 10 but agree it was getting harder to get hold of and the colour wasn't right for me..

SwedishEdith Sun 28-Feb-16 22:02:04

Still here in Tesco. But, looking at the numbers, Superdrug do one that's similar.

Monroe Sun 28-Feb-16 22:06:57

Oh that's interesting. In my local store they were selling them half price as stock clearance. I bought the last one for less than £2!

It's out of stock on amazon, boots and eBay

Will check out super drug, thank you

Monroe Mon 29-Feb-16 10:52:36

Bumping for the morning crowd ☺

GinIsIn Mon 29-Feb-16 11:43:22

Alas no helpful advice but as a redhead who needs a little help, watching also!!

Jmangel Mon 29-Feb-16 14:44:09

So Sardinia is 7.34 so you just need to buy another dye from L'Oreal with the same colour. So Innoa 7.34 is available from Sally etc. Do a google search - then you just need to buy a 20vol hydrogen peroxide developer and mix equal parts dye to developer and leave on 30-40 mins. Will work out cheaper than buying box dyes especially if you only do your roots each time as you can mix up exactly what you want.
So 7 is dark blonde, the 3 is predominant gold and the 4 is enhanced tone of copper. 7.34 should be an exact match as long as you stick to L'Oreal dye as different companies use different number systems.

Monroe Mon 07-Mar-16 14:57:16

Thank you for the advice, not sure how confident I would be trying to mix my own!

I went for l'oreal preference Brooklyn which was a few shades darker. I was worried at first that my roots had gone bright pink but I was suprisingly pleases, it blended very well with my natural cooler.
Now just have to keep everything crossed they don't discontinue it

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 07-Mar-16 16:59:31

Yay ! Looks fab !!! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now