Talk

Advanced search

how to pick a hair colour

(3 Posts)
Katenka Sun 28-Feb-16 06:46:50

Good morning

I have spent the last two years with copper hair. The last two appointments I have been going blonde. My hair dresser says I should be able to get to quite a striking blonde by my next appointment.

But I also fancy going back to my natural brunette colour. It's been years since I have had it. What is putting me off brunette is that I am very grey so think I would have to have it dyed more often than blonde.

Both would suit and I am really indecisive. I just fancy a change and want something quite striking. I have recently lost weight and feel like I want something different.

How do you decide?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 28-Feb-16 10:54:26

<<Spooky>>
You are in a very similar situation to me grin

I am IRL mid/dark brown hair. I used a Superdrug dye every so often (when the greys got too much)
In my teens/twenties I was everything from short jet black to waist lemgth henna .

But since growing my hair from my short pregnancy hair (my DC are teens now) to a collarlength bob in brown, it was safe and boring.
I had a layered cut three years ago, hated it and had it cropped.

My new growth which I'd used a slightly lighter dye on, was gorgeous, chestnut brown.
So over the last year I've gone even lighter (I use a 10.0 or 10.01 at the moment) and like you I'm coppery.
I have put some highlights in time to time.
I have pale freckled skin and hazel brown eyes so I can go from black to light , it suits my colouring

My hair is short (about 2" on the crown) cut every 5-6 weeks dyed (by me) every 3 weeks.

I have been dithering about going back to my darker shade (the same colour as my pesky roots)
But I saw some photos of myself with dark hair and though OMG....No !

Your skin changes (I don't know how old you are but I'm 49, nearly 50). I would need to rethink alot of my clothes , make up, my attitude about myself. It took a long time to visualise myself as coppery (blonde bits if I highlight) now I don't think I could see myself dark again.

If you want different, why not go for the highlights next time? Be striking blonde for the summer.
You could use a wash in over the top (provided you don't go green. Or pink)
to make a change then if you don't like it , wash it out.

I have complete strangers saying "I like your hair"
Not "Hmm your hairs a nice colour what dye do you use"
Though I always say "Thank You, but it's not real " smile

Katenka Sun 28-Feb-16 16:10:57

Yes I do worry about my skin tone.

As a child and in my twenties my skin was so dark that people thought i was Greek, Italian, Spanish.

But as I have got older my skin is lighter. Will dig out photos of me with various colours and compare.

I like the idea of blonde then with a colour over occasionally. Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now