Talk

Advanced search

PROM DRESSES - YEAR 11 - WHERE DO I LOOK??

(29 Posts)
Janus Fri 26-Feb-16 12:51:25

DD1 is in final year and wants to go Prom Dress shopping with me. I thought Coast would be worth a look but no idea where else to look or what would suit her. She has seen various things on the net but they look very 'vampy' to me!! Think see though with lack on the top sort of thing!!
Does anyone know where to go, net or RL?! Websites are probably great to look through so we have an idea where to start, does anyone have nay websites to recommend?
Many thanks.

lambfam Fri 26-Feb-16 12:53:57

My friend just bought a lovely one from TK maxx - it free postage if you spend more than £50 and you can return them to a local store for refund if no good. Worth a look

bigTillyMint Fri 26-Feb-16 12:58:13

We looked online everywhere and eventually found one on HOF, reduced in the sale about a month before the prom!

Janus Fri 26-Feb-16 13:00:51

www.tkmaxx.com/view-all-womenswear/black+mesh-insert-gown-/invt/53081525

Not sure if this works but I like this one, it would suit her. She's very petite but I think she's a size 6 as she has quite a big chest. I wonder if you can let dresses out?

Janus Fri 26-Feb-16 13:01:56

Is HOF House of Fraser? Haven't looked there, shall go and look online now! Thanks.

MitzyLeFrouf Fri 26-Feb-16 13:02:41

Asos would be my first port of call.

Notso Fri 26-Feb-16 13:10:33

Loads of wedding dress shops have them. I took DD to try some on after ordering and then sending three dresses back to online places.
Some she tried on were £££ but the one she chose to my amazement was in the sale and only £40.

Notso Fri 26-Feb-16 13:17:37

Also and important to DD all the local dress shops we went to had an exclusivity policy. So they would not sell the same dress to two girls attending prom at the same school.

Janus Fri 26-Feb-16 13:24:40

Knowing my daughter, if I went to a shop where they went up to hundreds of pounds, that's the one she would like! We only have one wedding shop dress near us but I'm going to ring them and see if they do it.
Have tried ASOS and there's almost too much choice! She has gone through that though so I'll see if anything has grabbed her.
Thanks for the input, it's all helping!

PhoenixRises Fri 26-Feb-16 13:26:39

Monsoon?

Underdogsbollocks Fri 26-Feb-16 13:27:59

I would also try monsoon smile

Underdogsbollocks Fri 26-Feb-16 13:28:14

Haha X-post!

Ohtobeskiing Fri 26-Feb-16 13:29:50

Dd tried lots of dresses on to get an idea of styles and colours she liked and we then looked online. She bought a Ted Baker dress which should have been about £250 for £35 - it was brand new but several seasons 'out of date'.

Berthatydfil Fri 26-Feb-16 13:32:55

If you want something special from a prom boutique or bridal type place then you need to get your skates on as they are usually ordered from the states and have a 16 week turn round so anything not ordered won't arrive in time.

Janus Fri 26-Feb-16 14:28:13

Thank you - I'm not sure if we will go down the wedding dress shop thing if the timescale is 16 weeks then, what if we get it and then she doesn't like it?! I like this one, what do you all think?:http://www.tedbaker.com/uk/Womens/Clothing/Dresses/ELEESE-Mesh-stripe-skater-dress-Black/p/123087-00-BLACK
Although I should run it past her too!!!

Janus Fri 26-Feb-16 14:28:37

www.tedbaker.com/uk/Womens/Clothing/Dresses/ELEESE-Mesh-stripe-skater-dress-Black/p/123087-00-BLACK

Try again!

ElviraCondomine Fri 26-Feb-16 14:52:54

DD's came from Little Mistress online. We ordered 4 and one of them was a winner (and very cheap). Several of her friends bought from Coast and at least one from Monsoon. DD's was £35 in the sale, and very nice (long with some nice detailing at the neckline)

www.little-mistress.com/dresses-c101

I like the Ted Baker dress but DD and her friends all wanted long dresses (I think for the novelty value)

Flingingmelon Fri 26-Feb-16 15:36:58

Asos, or if you can get there, downstairs at Oxford st Top Shop.

whatadrain Fri 26-Feb-16 15:58:45

Lippy have some gorgeous maxi style dresses suitable for prom.

dingit Fri 26-Feb-16 16:13:23

Also look at Dorothy Perkins, often they have good discount codes.
Following this thread although Dd has had year 11 prom,she has another in year 13. Love some of the little mistress dresses.

MyLocal Fri 26-Feb-16 16:20:22

At certain times of the year Lipsey so a good range of shorter dresses very suitable for a prom. My DD's came from a pop up wedding shop in a shopping centre, took it there and then, massive reduction but it had to be altered as it was a size too big.

MyLocal Fri 26-Feb-16 16:23:23

www.lipsy.co.uk/store/prom-dresses#pagesize=36

Luc28 Fri 26-Feb-16 16:27:51

Forever unique, crystal prom or pis michi are great makes also try crystal breeze

Orangeanddemons Fri 26-Feb-16 16:36:03

these are rather beautiful. Sometimes I just look at them as sort of art appreciation! Not long though, but still gorgeous.

Catam Fri 26-Feb-16 16:37:29

Third Monsoon. Lots of bridal shops also do dress hire. I dropped a load of dresses off at a local charity shop last year so might be worth a look in your own area charity shops too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now