Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help me get my hair under control :-(

(6 Posts)
lilypadpod Fri 26-Feb-16 12:34:35

Since having a baby 6months ago it's become dry, brittle and very frizzy.

It's naturally curly/wavy and thick, always a bit unmanageable so it's layered and graduated at front.

But now it's so knotty I keep having to cut out the knots! I tried dying it to disguise the dullness but dye didn't take well and it's worse than ever. It's also getting thin at front and hairline is receding sad

I don't want to have it cut short. How can I make it look and feel better? Is a Brazilian keratin treatment the way forward?

MamaLazarou Fri 26-Feb-16 12:52:06

My first advice would be to stop dying it!

A restructuring protein treatment such as Aphogee 2-step protein treatment will help restore the condition. It's not expensive but you have to follow the instructions to the letter in order to prevent breakage. Treat your hair with this every few weeks for as long as it needs it.

Once a week, use a rich hair mask such as Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula. Leave it on for 20 minutes after shampooing and rinse.

Consider changing your shampoo to a sulfate-free formulation or a co-wash. I have dry, curly hair and love AsIAm coconut co-wash (from Amazon). The SLS in your shampoo can dry it out.

To avoid stress on the hairline, don't tie it back too tightly. Clip it up or braid it instead to avoid tension at the roots.

Moisturise your hair every day (or twice a day, if it needs it) with a butter (like R&B from Lush) or spray-on milk (like Davines OI All-in-one).

Try following a curly/afro hair blog such as NaturallyCurly.com - they have tons of great articles and advice for keeping curly hair in good condition.

TheSpottedZebra Fri 26-Feb-16 17:12:45

What do you use at the moment?

lilypadpod Sat 27-Feb-16 17:20:07

Thanks for your help

At the moment I use H&S silky shampoo (haven't had dandruff for a year but used to get it, think the H&S prevents it) and Aussie moisturising consitioner. Then Bumble&Bumble heat-resistant cream and FrizzEase DreamCurls, sometimes add some Samy curl cream. I usually let it air-dry then finish off with Babyliss Big Curls. I wash it every 2-3days.

I've just ordered the protein treatment and coconut oil.

Yes I do tend to tie it tightly at home, in a tight bun. Will try clipping it off face instead.

MamaLazarou Sat 27-Feb-16 18:00:47

Those spiral telephone-cord hair bobbles are good for tying it back without pulling too tightly.

TheSpottedZebra Sun 28-Feb-16 13:41:23

Oh god, stop with the H&S for a start - it's soooooo drying! Only use it if you need it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now