Buying less but better

(8 Posts)
MrsSeanBean Wed 24-Feb-16 12:43:39

I was all set to have a no (or low) spend 2016, in a bid to cut down on endless impulse purchases. But knowing me, that was never likely to end well. So... I have started to buy one or two 'good' things per month and am finding I'm still spending less than what I did previously.

It feels more satisfying somehow, to have fewer but better things, not to mention the saving money part.

I mean I know I could save still more by not buying at all, but the quality of my new stuff (outlet purchases mainly) is so good, I find I don't get bored of wearing the same thing over and over so much, plus it's lasting well.

Wish I'd done this years ago. At this rate I might even be reaching the mythical capsule wardrobe!

mowglik Wed 24-Feb-16 13:35:37

Oo what a good idea - what kind of things have you bought? I really need to do a low-no spend month next month but like the idea of one or two really decent buys a month

MrsSeanBean Wed 24-Feb-16 13:42:50

It's so exciting Mowgli. I've bought 2 white shirts. Normally I can't wear shirts, despite everyone banging on about being a classic and essential item. However I found two (one by equipment - which is a long tunic style- and one by Topshop which has slightly stretch material) - and they both have quite low collars which don't fight too badly with my jowls.

Then I got a scoop neck navy Sandro top in the sale half price. I wore it over one of the white shirts in Paris recently and a french man asked me for directions, so maybe he thought I looked French (don't think it was a pick up line, doubt it at my age)...

Then wonder of wonders, I found a grey anya hindmarch bag for £275, or as I like to say to DH £200, always round downwards ;-)

Will see if I can find links...

MrsSeanBean Wed 24-Feb-16 13:50:18

www.nordstromrack.com/shop/product/1302887/equipment-ireland-tunic - Equipment Ireland tunic (am so in love would have paid full price)

www.theoutnet.com/en-GB/product/Sandro/Slub-wool-blend-top/657916 - this top in navy

www.net-a-porter.com/gb/en/product/362140?cm_sp=we_recommend-_-362140-_-slot2 - bag

Can't find topshop shirt but similar to first one, except it buttons all the way down.

BareBearBum Wed 24-Feb-16 13:54:06

I love the idea of this! I'm so over buying clothes that just don't wash/wear well.
I have been thinking about spending a little more less often.
The plan is to buy what I need ( on the lookout for a new black jumper for example ) but buy something that will last longer and make me feel great because it's better quality.

MrsSeanBean Wed 24-Feb-16 13:58:11

Bare- ooh, a quest for a new black jumper...rubs hands. That sounds great. I'm thinking slouchy, 100% cashmere... It's one of those things that it's really worthy spending more, on as you'll wear it to death. Come to think of it, I could do with something similar! Might have to wait until March though.

BareBearBum Wed 24-Feb-16 15:31:57

Yes, that sounds great! Cashmere would be great and a slouchy look suits me .. I'll have to wait 'til March too ..

maybemyrtle Wed 24-Feb-16 17:16:36

That bag looks really lovely...

I'm aiming to buy way way less but better too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now