How do I stop my hair falling out?

(8 Posts)
TheCamelFromSpain Tue 23-Feb-16 15:03:23

Since about last summer my hair has been falling out and it's not like I have it to lose! It's fine, flat, soft and shiny and has been since I was a child.

I'm not pregnant or ever have been. Haven't changed my diet, my stress levels, my environment and so on. I get more sleep, if anything, compared to this time last year! I eat a balanced diet with lots of fresh food, fruit and veg.

Every day I am picking up strands from my carpet. sad What on earth can I do?

dementedpixie Tue 23-Feb-16 15:04:50

See you gp. Could be something else e.g. thyroid

allegretto Tue 23-Feb-16 15:05:02

How old are you? Is your dad bald?

TheCamelFromSpain Tue 23-Feb-16 15:07:48

I'm 33. My dad has lots of thick lovely hair, always has. envy My mum has fine hair which I suppose has gone thinner as she has gone grey. Oh shit, is this just the ageing process? shock

allegretto Tue 23-Feb-16 15:13:33

I have the same problem and went to a trichologist. Thyroid can be the culprit but apparently mine is hereditary and I'm at an age where it is quite common to start losing it (40). I would ask your dr to refer you for tests. Good luck!

TheFridgePickersKnickers Tue 23-Feb-16 15:18:57

Thyroid problems cause hair loss.

I used to have a lovely thick mane of hair. Now I have fine thin shit with dotted bald patches thanks to my thyroid!!

Go and see your GP.

TheCamelFromSpain Tue 23-Feb-16 16:01:16

If it is that, then will medication help it to grow back or is this it for good now?

MadameDePompom Tue 23-Feb-16 16:05:35

You need to have your ferritin levels checked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now