Talk

Advanced search

how to get nice nails

(25 Posts)
beanhead24 Sun 21-Feb-16 23:11:33

Any advice on supplements, foods, oils, creams etc to take/use to improve nail growth & strength?

Thank you!

Namechangingbastard Sun 21-Feb-16 23:12:30

I just use the rimmel nail nurse. Cheap and works brilliantly for me smile

Paddingtonthebear Sun 21-Feb-16 23:17:38

Literally about to start the same thread! My nails are awful. Weak, they don't grow, tiny shape they look childlike, like not shaped elegantly like everyone else I know. Bah envy

Lululooselips Mon 22-Feb-16 01:32:25

Oil is your friend

Oil applied a few times a day around the cuticle and rub into your nail as well. CND solar oil is good.

Have seen a few threads about applying Vaseline over night too

CakeThat Mon 22-Feb-16 06:19:31

I've read on here before that almond oil is really good for your nails. You can buy it in Boots (behind the pharmacy counter - not sure why) It's really cheap so worth a try.

Mouthfulofquiz Mon 22-Feb-16 06:35:51

Dior creme abricot is really really good and worth the money. I used to alongside a nail buffer to get natural groomed nails.

SugarPlumTree Mon 22-Feb-16 06:40:58

I find the Rimmel Nail Nurse really good too .

SugarPlumTree Mon 22-Feb-16 06:41:59

And the Foexitol nail and cuticle cream (or something like that) for cuticles .

Paddingtonthebear Mon 22-Feb-16 14:36:22

Ok I will try almond oil and maybe Rimmel nail nurse. Operation sort my nails starts this week. Does anyone want to join me?? This is what I'm starting with blush

Namechangingbastard Tue 23-Feb-16 14:26:33

They are not too bad OP! Im waiting for a break to grow long enough to pull off or I would join you!

SquidTableau Tue 23-Feb-16 16:09:27

My mum swears by eating jelly cubes for her strong nails! might work? grin

Willsee Tue 23-Feb-16 16:50:15

Me too... I chew my cuticles when stressed. Yucky habit.
Paddington- do we have ring?

Willsee Tue 23-Feb-16 16:51:15

Same ring, i meant blush

Paddingtonthebear Tue 23-Feb-16 19:36:31

This is a closer pic of mine, I had it made by a ring designer based on a random design in my head grin

hugoagogo Tue 23-Feb-16 19:46:47

Mine are much improved since taking hair skin and nails supplements from asda! They are only £4 for 30 days too.

Almond oil is good too, I get mine from Sainsbury with the cooking oil, much cheaper than those diddy little bottles from them chemist.

Paddingtonthebear Tue 23-Feb-16 19:53:19

Oh really? Good tip, thanks!

Obs2016 Tue 23-Feb-16 20:06:57

Thank you. I need similar. Mind are truely awful, so weak.

moggiesmum Wed 24-Feb-16 10:11:07

Burts Bees Lemon cuticle cream!

Willsee Wed 24-Feb-16 10:20:11

Thanks for tips. I´ll try the supplements.
ah, they are different Paddington - mine is plain, and brought from a shop!

NisekoWhistler Wed 24-Feb-16 10:28:12

Take Biotin supplements, the highest dose you can find in Holland and Barrett or such like. Need to take religiously every day and wait a good few months before you see and improvement. But they definitely work. I also recommend using Clarins hand cream 2-3 times a day. Carry a cheaper say Nivea hand cream and use after washing hands.

MrsSeanBean Wed 24-Feb-16 11:54:30

Cuticle cream by eve lom or dior.

Manicure by ColorForever in Paris. They are unbelievably brilliant. It's only €15 and almost worth the train fare to go for that reason alone.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 24-Feb-16 11:57:17

The best thing IMHO I'd to always wear rubber gloves when washin up, cleaning etc.
Then hand cream applied often, and rubbed well into nails.
And no messing about with gels, acrylics etc as they all wreck your nails.

lovefairylights Wed 24-Feb-16 12:16:05

tongue in cheek response - get pregnant!
Seriously the only time my nails have been lovely and strong is while pregnant - shame the rest of me is a mess during pregnancy ;-)

Am going to try to maintain them though after this pregnancy - hand cream by each sink and in my bag and use rubber gloves more often...

Boozena Wed 24-Feb-16 12:20:07

I found buffing mine was the best for strengthening- one of those multi sided ones where it starts rough then buffs to a shine. I did it every other day and my nails were great then I bit them all off like an idiot

TeenyfTroon Wed 24-Feb-16 12:43:34

I use Nailtiques Formula 2+. Rescued my weak, splitting nails. I also take Biotin. I was despairing and now they're lovely. I switched to Rimmel Nail Nurse and was OK for a few months, but then they started going off again, so I think it's not strong enough for me.
If I could only have 1 'beauty' product, Nailtiques would be it!!
Nailtiques Formula 2+

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now