Bra fitting recommendations for small breasts

(40 Posts)
Mouseymum Sun 21-Feb-16 20:13:05

Hi,

I know bravissimo is often recommended on here for larger cup sizes but what about smaller?

I am an m and s 40A. The only bras I currently wear are L/Xl nursing bras (don't really need nursing bras anymore). I need some nice underwired bras for work.

Thanks for any advice!

neolara Sun 21-Feb-16 20:16:59

Bet your not a 40. What dress size are you?

Fwiw, I was a M&S 36aa. I got fitted properly at John Lewis and turns out I was a 32c.

Balletgirlmum Sun 21-Feb-16 20:21:03

Was going to say the same.

Are you completely flat? If not then you can't be an A cup. My guess would be 36D

What does your underbust measure in inches with the tape measure pulled tight?

I find John Lewis good both for measuring & sizing.

Balletgirlmum Sun 21-Feb-16 20:21:43

Did M & S tell you that you are a 40A?

Mouseymum Mon 22-Feb-16 17:07:34

Thanks for replies. M and S told me I'm a 40a. I'm a size 16 and not completely flat! Underbust I'm 35 if I breathe in(!) otherwise 36. Hmm looks like a trip to JL might be in order!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 22-Feb-16 17:12:05

What's your overbust?

CMOTDibbler Mon 22-Feb-16 17:14:20

Measure like this and you get a much better fit than M&S

Lweji Mon 22-Feb-16 18:09:11

You could be a 36D.

soontobepenfold Mon 22-Feb-16 18:12:50

M&S are terrible for measuring, every time I've been measured by them I've been told I'm a 36A, when in reality I'm a 30D hmm

LadyIsabellaWrotham Mon 22-Feb-16 18:13:54

John Lewis are lovely.

MeadowHay Mon 22-Feb-16 18:23:36

I would recommend Debenhams. Love the service there and I recommended it to my sister too who also was happy (she is very small in the bust). I am a 30DD so not that big either.

InTheTeapot Mon 22-Feb-16 18:32:36

What is written on bra labels rarely corresponds to any kind of measurement of your body. My under bust measures 33. My most comfortable bra is an M&S autograph under wired balcony bra in a 32B. Other styles either don't fit or are uncomfortable. My next most comfortable bra is a 34A M&S.
I just set aside an hour or so and prepare for major disappointment before entering the changing room with hundreds of variables on what might actually fit.
Good luck.
Ps more expensive seems to equal a higher chance of a better fit. It would hmm

Balletgirlmum Mon 22-Feb-16 18:50:10

If your underbust is 35/36 then you are not a 40a!!!!

What's your overbust - 40/42 ish? If so it would make you around a 36D/DD

dementedpixie Mon 22-Feb-16 18:55:45

I am a size 20/22 at the top and only wear a 36 back bra (36GG) so no way are you a 40 back at a much smaller clothes size. What's your over bust measurement so we get an idea of your cup size?

harrasseddotcom Mon 22-Feb-16 19:17:34

small boobs here :D i measured underneath, 33. According to M&S that makes me a 34/36 depending on sales assistant! But both these are too big and end up riding up my back and front as it is too loose. So i get a 32. For cup size i actually have to try on bras, cos i can be either b or a c depending on the bra i only buy super duper padded to the max bras. So if I were you id go instore and get a bunch of 34/36 a/b/c and see which ones fit the best. And even then i dont think there is standard bra sizing across the board , so whilst one brand may fit great, it would necessarily be the same size for another brand.

Mouseymum Tue 23-Feb-16 15:15:06

Thanks for your replies, everyone! My over bust measurement is 42...

CMOTDibbler Tue 23-Feb-16 15:22:24

So you should try a 34f or 36e smile. Try the bra on backwards first to see which band size fits, then try different cup sizes so you are all in the cup. And don't forget to lean forward and scoop all your breast tissue into the cup

OldestStory Tue 23-Feb-16 16:33:33

Debenhams have been really good at bra measurements when buying for dd. Even told us the size and where to buy online as they did not stock a small enough back size.

Another fitting classic from m and s...

KatharinaRosalie Tue 23-Feb-16 16:38:14

40A!! You must be thinking that bras are useless torture instruments.
Can you try 34/36 E/F and report back if that feels any different.

Mouseymum Tue 23-Feb-16 18:53:02

Oh my goodness...I never thought I would be looking at E or F cups!! No wonder my old 40a bra is doing absolutely nothing for me!

Thank you everyone for your advice - I will head off to Debenhams tomorrow and report back (If I need to, I'll try John Lewis next week as they're in a different town).

Debenhams fitting is hit and miss - basically if they start adding inches they're useless! You might be best following the guidelines on the better bra campaign (which I'm sure I saw linked upthread!) and trying on yourself. Try decent "large cup" brands - Debenhams tend to stock Freya and Fantasie for example.

WellTidy Tue 23-Feb-16 20:22:51

I wore a 36A m And s bra for years. I now know think am a 32C. It fits so much better, surprisingly! Still wearing m and s bras, but only a certain style but in all the colours.

Lweji Tue 23-Feb-16 20:23:01

And, despite your OP, you're looking well into Bravissimo territory, if you have one around. smile

indigo88 Tue 23-Feb-16 22:03:13

Can't wait to hear how you get on. Absolutely, classic M&S.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now