Talk

Advanced search

can anyone recommend me a treatment for split ends?

(9 Posts)
FortyFacedFuckers Sun 21-Feb-16 15:42:05

I have just have 3 inches cut of my hair and still have split ends? Is there any treatments or anything that can help/prevent them getting worse?

meditrina Sun 21-Feb-16 15:47:45

Sorry, no.

Deep conditioning treatments might help (a little) but won't prevent further splitting.

Getting them cut off is the only way. But if you have a particular reason to keep the length for a while, you can trim them the old-fashioned way, by dividing when just damp into sections and twirling each tight so that the damaged ends stick out. Then you can snip off just the splits. Don't expect to get all of them, but you might be able to put off a cut for a bit.

squoosh Sun 21-Feb-16 15:49:41

A scissors is the only treatment I'm afraid. And then only brush it with a wide toothed comb when wet to prevent any more.

Destinysdaughter Sun 21-Feb-16 17:09:39

Just an idea, are you using a lot of products with silicone in. Apparently it can build up over time and stop your hair from absorbing moisture.

PollyPerky Sun 21-Feb-16 17:28:51

Scissors smile

Whatdoidohelp Sun 21-Feb-16 17:33:35

Regular trims is the only way sorry.

unimaginativename13 Sun 21-Feb-16 17:37:10

Cut them off and stop using silicone based products like Aussie Elvie Pantene they will cause splitting

EdithWeston Sun 21-Feb-16 17:41:43

Silicon might temporarily stick splits together (it's the basic ingredient of most of not all the 'treatments' that are on sale).

Silicon in regular products isn't going to cause split ends as it's effect (such as it has in such tiny quantities) is slightly protective.

unimaginativename13 Sun 21-Feb-16 18:11:04

Cheap silicones that aren't water soluble will build up in the hair then with the application of heat will melt and shatter- therefore creating split or damaged hair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now